Shouldn't Geralt be like a Vulcan from Star Trek?

RikuoAmero

Jan 27, 2010
*Reads the title of the thread, then reads the second sentence of the OP*

You don't know anything about Vulcans do you? Vulcans HAVE emotions. They just, as a society, suppress them. Sure, there are some who go through some sort of training to purge themselves of all emotion, but the vast majority of Vulcans portrayed in Star Trek are not said to have done that.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
No reason to overthink this stuff.
Geralt is only emotionless in the way real men are emotionless, meaning BADASS. He does not cry. Polaks like that sort of thing. Now you know.

PrimitiveJudge

Aug 14, 2012
Oh he has very strong love emotions towards his women and hate emotions towards portals. Zero empathy for monsters and politicians.
I would say more Romulan then Vulcan since he likes killing.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
PrimitiveJudge said:
Oh he has very strong love emotions towards his women and hate emotions towards portals. Zero empathy for monsters and politicians.
And love for booze like a Klingon. Well, only if you play him like that, but if you don't accept every drop of alcohol you are offered, then you are missing out on fun stuff across all games.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
To add to the discussion a bit, Vulcans aren't emotionless, they suppress their emotions because at their core their emotional levels are extremely high. They choose logic over emotion and master suppressing their emotional core because they feel its detrimental to be ruled by emotion, but they're not emotionless, just very distanced from it. Its a huge difference to suppress those things than to be totally without them.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
PrimitiveJudge said:
I don't think he actually dose. Well...I suppose you could play him that way in the game since you make choices for him.
Killing monsters is just his job and he doesn't like killing sentient ones (and lies to avoid it). He really doesn't like killing people and avoids it as much as he can. It's one of the reasons why he avoids getting involved in anything.
He seems to prefer lifting curses or acting as a translator to killing monsters, killing them is just the more common job.

BarryMcCociner

Feb 23, 2015
Witcher's don't have tear ducts. This is the full extent of their "inability to feel emotions".

The Witchers being unfeeling killing machines is pure propaganda, this is canon.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Aside from people mentioning that they do indeed have emotions, I also want to point out an accurate portrayal of a being with no emotions at all would be a boring being that doesn't do anything at all. With no emotion we have no reason to do anything, we don't want anything, we wouldn't even care if we died because that would be emotion. It wouldn't bother us if we got hurt and we would value nothing. To a being with no emotions everything would be the same. To even have goals to carry out requires one to value something, which requires emotion.

It bothers me when people put logic and emotion in opposition. They can be, but often I would say they are not. Emotion informs what your goals are, logic is about facts that follow from premises. Emotion can cloud one's judgement and lead to a faulty conclusion, but if it merely informs you on what your premises are then there is no conflict with logic. For example if I wish to be happy, that's emotional. Then I can use logic to help me figure out how to achieve that state.

BarryMcCociner

Feb 23, 2015
Gundam GP01 said:
BarryMcCociner said:
Witcher's don't have tear ducts. This is the full extent of their "inability to feel emotions".

The Witchers being unfeeling killing machines is pure propaganda, this is canon.
Wait, what? That has to be bullshit. If he didn't have any tearducts, he'd have gone blind a long LONG time ago from his chronically dry eyes.
While that MAY be true, you have to understand than he'd be blind in real life, not in the world of a fantasy video game.

You see, in real life historical Wizards don't really get much Wizardry done. They mostly just cut open sheep intestines and told the king how the intestines were clear therefore the crops should be fine for harvest.

Just roll with it.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
RikuoAmero said:
*Reads the title of the thread, then reads the second sentence of the OP*

You don't know anything about Vulcans do you? Vulcans HAVE emotions. They just, as a society, suppress them. Sure, there are some who go through some sort of training to purge themselves of all emotion, but the vast majority of Vulcans portrayed in Star Trek are not said to have done that.
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
To add to the discussion a bit, Vulcans aren't emotionless, they suppress their emotions because at their core their emotional levels are extremely high. They choose logic over emotion and master suppressing their emotional core because they feel its detrimental to be ruled by emotion, but they're not emotionless, just very distanced from it. Its a huge difference to suppress those things than to be totally without them.
Sorry, I'm not really a fan of Star Trek. I just know like the very basic stuff.

GladiatorUA

Jun 1, 2013
KingsGambit said:
During the training process when boys grow into witchers, they ingest potions and herbs that mutate them. They become stronger, faster and their eyes change among other things. Side effects of the mutation include loss of desire/libido and emotions. Geralt however, his mutation didn't proceed as normal...It changed his hair white and his capacity for emotions and desire stayed with him. He is an exception even among the handful of witchers in the world.
Ahahahaha! "Loss of desire/libido"!

Witchers are legendary in terms of their libido. As well as safest sex partners being sterile and immune to diseases.

Witchers are taught to not get involved in human affairs and just kill monsters and take pay. Geralt is no exception.

Politrukk said:
It was the perfect excuse to make Geralt somewhat a bland protagonist.

Everything that is boring about him can be written off as "that's just the witcher part of him".
No, that was amnesia + in books despite him being protagonist, the whole thing revolved around Ciri and she was as much of a protagonist as him, if not more so.

There is also a rumor that witchers steal children, which is part true with the whole fairytale like "Something that wait for you at home even though you didn't expect it" reward when offered "Anything!"

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
BarryMcCociner said:
Witcher's don't have tear ducts. This is the full extent of their "inability to feel emotions"
Now this is simply not true. Witchers are also unable to blush. At least Geralt is.
But this could just be part of his super special mutations. It has been a few years since I read the books.