Show me a good anime please

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Parroting Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Also, shame on everyone for not mentioning a single Gundam series. Do not watch Gundam Wing, as that show does not fit your specifications. I highly recommend staring with 08th MS Team, if you want to give Gundam a shot. You can get a feel for the franchise, this series is set in the main universe (Gundam has alternate universes) and the show is only 12/13 episodes long, so it's easy to get through. The English dub is also good. Most Gundam series can be watched on Youtube.

If you like strong female characters, watch Fate/Stay Night or Fate/Zero (prequel, so watch it second.) Avoid One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, and Death Note. Are they popular? Yes. Do they fit your specifications? No.

lastly, if you enjoy mysteries, I'd highly recommend Monster, which is available on Netflix. Monster is a very Western-style anime that fits your specifications. It's a great show, but 70 episodes is not to be scoffed at.

There's my contribution.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
AC10 said:
The Wykydtron said:
I'm going to throw Hyouka at you because it's new and fucking awesome. No sexy times for you to rage at either XD
I'm really, really disappointed with Hyouka personally. I love KyoAni. I'd go as far to say they're my favourite animation studio in the world. However, I'm having such a difficult time with Hyouka. I find the mysteries boring and mundane.

You know what really isn't a big deal? What isn't worth 3 episodes of exploration? That the ending a crappy high school movie like 10 people watch is what the writer intended. I just want it to be over so we can get started on Chū-2 Byō.

ScrabbitRabbit said:
NightHawk21 said:
Monster is a serious, adult crime drama with no supernatural fight scenes or what-have-you, but it's still animé because that's just what we call Japanese animation. If you were to compare Monster to, say, Bleach, the only similarities you would be able to find are that they are both animated and both Japanese... that's it. Yet they're both animé.
We should probably put this discussion in that "Can americans make anime" article :p

I liked monster, in that it was pretty refreshing. The main character was an adult, acted like an adult and the German/European setting was quite nice. My one complaint with it is MAN, did it ever progress slowly. I mean, I know in a crime/mystery/intrigue style show you don't want to just lay down all your plot points and twists at once, but it all just unfolded very slowly.

Really? I rather liked that arc. Though i've always liked the Closed Room stuff anyway.

For some reason the fact that the mysteries are of no consequence and are quite petty makes it more enjoyable to me... It must be more about the characters rather than the actual mysteries, or the characters solving the mystery makes the mystery more interesting.

I still can't tell you why I like it so much because any synopsis is going to make it sound so boring if you break it down.

I don't think i've watched anything from this studio before, is this Kyoani in the same vein? I might look it up

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Try death note.
The only "super power" in it is the titular notebook that kills everyone whose name is written into it and the series is about how a raving lunatic wants to change the world with it by punishing all criminals with instant death while the police tries to stop him.
Unlike most anime I have seen, it doesn't rely on fighting or "getting stronger" to create suspense which it does quite well.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Since you're coming off of Avatar, I would recommend FLCL, which was apparently very influential for them (probably more in terms of animation than story). Supposedly every member of the team working on Avatar was required to watch FLCL.

Already mentioned above but definitely check out Fate/Zero, highly recommended. Alternate history crossover fanfiction, but professionally written, and good. Second season opens with King Arthur, Alexander the Great, and Diarmuid Ua Duibhne, fighting against Cthulhu, who was summoned by Gilles de Rais. How does that not sound awesome!? But I have to disagree with some of the above posts - watch it FIRST, even if it is a prequel that came out after. For one thing you're not missing out on any story because, you know, prequel, but also the Stay Night anime just isn't good. The story is all over the place because it tried to incorporate elements from all possible endings of the game, and the animation is just subpar, especially when compared to Zero which is practically movie quality.

Marik2 said:
How about IGPX?

And anime is cartoons.
Holy crap, someone else who watched it!!

I'd also recommend watching the English dub. It's not something you'll hear often from more "hardcore" anime fans, and if you're just getting into anime you'll probably watch the English dub anyway, but man is the voice talent in this show amazing. Haley Joel Osment, Mark Hamill, and Lance Henriksen, I repeat, Lance Henriksen!

Carpachi

Jul 12, 2011
There are no anime that fit the description you're trying to present as "the qualities of a good anime".

So instead, go watch Baccano!!, Durarara!!, and...Trigun.

K1CKER

Jul 24, 2009
overwhelming recommendations for Fullmetal Alchemist so I`ll go try that out right now, brb

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
The Wykydtron said:
*Snipping the earlier part of the convo for size*

Really? I rather liked that arc. Though i've always liked the Closed Room stuff anyway.

For some reason the fact that the mysteries are of no consequence and are quite petty makes it more enjoyable to me... It must be more about the characters rather than the actual mysteries, or the characters solving the mystery makes the mystery more interesting.

I still can't tell you why I like it so much because any synopsis is going to make it sound so boring if you break it down.

I don't think i've watched anything from this studio before, is this Kyoani in the same vein? I might look it up
Well, I'm glad you like it! As much as I rag on Hyouka I still feel the desire to watch it every week :p

"KyoAni" is a sort of fan pet name for "Kyoto Animation" (like people calling Square Enix 'squeeny'), the studio that produced Hyouka.

Some other stuff they've done:
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, K-on!, Clannad, Kanon, Air, Nichijou. A lot of their series (with the exception of full metal panic) is slice of life stuff with people just sort of living their day to day. They're pretty good at it. A lot like Hyouka, much of the plot is mundane, every day life kind of stuff.

K-On and Nichijou in particular have more of a comedy bent (Nichijou going into the realm of absurdist/surrealist comedy). Clannad, Air and Kanon are a little more serious and lean more towards the drama/romance side of things (thought they have their comedy moments). They are known for being quite emotional (ie, you'll probably cry).

K-On! is one of my personal favourites. It's about a group of girls in high school who form a band in the "light music club" in school. I think I like it so much because I really relate to it. I had a "band" in high school and I lugged the damn thing around school every day.

K1CKER said:
overwhelming recommendations for Fullmetal Alchemist so I`ll go try that out right now, brb
I'd recommend full metal alchemist: brotherhood. It's my personal opinion that the original FMA is the most overrated anime of all time. It's like the Final Fantasy 7 of anime, in my eyes. People hype it up to the hills, and when you finally go to play it, it's just... mediocre.

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
The effeminate male character thing is a culture thing, ya know?

If you want a deconstruction of the cliched things you just mentioned, look up Revolutionary Girl Utena and Ouran Host Club. They take the piss out of every storytelling cliche under the sun, and are very funny. Though Utena get's VERY serious (in a good way).

Utena is also the most abstract, darkly sexual anime ever, so be warned if you don't like that kinda thing. Ouran host club is more approachable.

Matthew Ketchell

Jan 12, 2011
Alright looks like its up to ol' Matt to set things straight here you should just watch Gurren Lagann. It has everything you will ever want, fighting spirit, giant robots, fan service, monkey people, bigger robots that throw entire galaxies at each other with regard towards their well being.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
I'm mostly a manga reader, but I'll have to say 20th Century Boys. It's by the same guy who did Monster and it really is good.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
K1CKER said:
Hey there anime lovers!

Me, I`ve always hated all kinds of anime series BUT I`ve watched Avatar the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra lately and I have to say they are really good.

So maybe someone can point me to another series that has the same strengths:
- no overly effeminate male characters. (I mean it)
- no big eyed female characters that sound like a squealing mouse and are either helpless tits or exaggerated bad-ass tits on-a-stick.
- reasonably believable world.
- no super exaggerated overpowered characters, all the special powers they have are reasonable.
- good amount of action.
- serious world changing story while also being funny.
- "not too Japanese" visual style

Thanks, and looking forward to finding another series as good as Avatar.
Full metal Alchemist. It meets every one of your requirements.

Black Lagoon. I think you'll like this one as well.

Code Geass is a maybe. How effeminate is effeminate? Is a thin, in-athletic guy effeminate? How reasonable? Are inhumanly fast reaction times gonna be a deal-breaker? This one doesn't have as much comedy. Give it a shot, if you don't like it you're only out 20 min an episode.

You'd probably like Soul Eater or D Gray Man.

Also, do not watch Air Gear. I very much doubt you will like it, it's not something you should watch until you're familiar and comfortable with anime. It's got great action and comedy, but it's pretty sexual, and very over-the-top, it's also unfinished.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Pfft, the right anime for anyone is Star of the North Fist

K1CKER

Jul 24, 2009
Palademon said:
I don't think you mean good.

I think you mean "Show me your pathetic attempts of what you think is good that I have already written off with my own opinion. MWAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA

...Also I hate japanese style."

Why the hell would you look for an anime if you admit to hating japanese style?
That's like asking for a game where you don't have to press buttons.
haha

kinda true but if I can dig up ONE I can watch it`s worth it

also, there are plenty of games where u don`t have to press buttons fyi :)

wottabout

May 4, 2011
I am going to second some shows that others have already mentioned.

Baccano!
Watch the dub. I wouldn't really call the story "world-changing," but it does have a serious overarching plotline. And it takes place in America, so it is a bit less "Japanese" than many other anime. Available on Hulu and YouTube, but only Hulu has the full dub.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Similar themes and plot-setup to Avatar. Starts out with the characters traveling and having episodic adventures, and grows into a saving-the-world plotline. The number of characters expands to epic proportions, and all of the characters are well-developed. I don't think there are any particularly effeminate male characters (except the minor character Garfiel, but he is more "campy cross-dressing" effeminate than "long-haired bishie" effeminate). Hilarious, fun, yet also serious. Available on Hulu(subbed).

Trigun
Again, has a similar setup to Avatar. Traveling the world, episodic adventures, more characters joining the story, then finally saving the world. Available on Hulu and YouTube (subbed).

Also, I guess I will add Fate/Zero, since I loved it so much. I did not see the original Fate/Stay Night beforehand, so the ending of Fate/Zero was less meaningful for me, but it was still very very very good. I'm a bit hesitant to recommend it, as it is a fairly Japanese show. Also some of the male characters might fit your criteria for "overly effeminate." Here [http://keikakudoori.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/fate-zero-masters.jpg] is a picture of the main characters. (And, to clear up any possible confusion, they are all male except the one on the top left.) Also, it has some funny moments, but it is primarily action/drama.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
Speed Grapher
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Paranoia Agent
Paprika (movie)
Tekkonkinkreet (Movie)

I hate most anime but these are worth your time.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
For a funny anime, see Genshiken. Its set in reality, the only pretty boy is played for laughs and the main girl is a no-nonsense punk rocker. No real action, but it's funny and about being a geek.

For action, check out Berserk. It's pretty explicit, I warn you.

Read the manga Vinland Saga; it's about vikings and the effeminite dude becomes badass later on. Did I mention it's about vikings?

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
Cheesepower5 said:
For a funny anime, see Genshiken. Its set in reality, the only pretty boy is played for laughs and the main girl is a no-nonsense punk rocker. No real action, but it's funny and about being a geek.

For action, check out Berserk. It's pretty explicit, I warn you.

Read the manga Vinland Saga; it's about vikings and the effeminite dude becomes badass later on. Did I mention it's about vikings?
Genshiken is great! But might be a bit out of OPs league, since it's chock full of references to otaku culture that a "newbie" won't understand in the slightest.

It's so hard to come up with action "shounen" anime that doesn't have all sorts of tits-on-a-stick or crazy powers (which I am assuming to be what OP is looking for). I just remembered the anime [C]. It also comes with the title "The Money and Soul of Possibility Control." I thought this one was really interesting, but I have no clue if it's up your alley.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
DarkRyter said:
Avatar is not anime. It has a long running storyline like alot of anime. It looks like alot of anime. It has Asian themes like alot of anime. It looks like alot of anime. But that does not make it anime.

Not that it means anything. It is not any worse or better for not being anime.

From what you identify as "the strengths" of Avatar, I can tell that you hold some very popular cultural notions as to what most anime is like.

One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach.

You should try One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach. I know, I know. Anime Haters would roll their eyes and advanced anime fans are going "entry level, what."

But I've read and watched all three, and they abide by your list about as well as any anime I can think of. Except for the "no overly effeminate male characters" rule, considering each of these series has extremely large casts of widely different characters.

You could also try like Soul Eater and Fairy Tail. Not quite the big three, but they're all barking up the the same tree.

Edit: Oh. and Fullmetal Alchemist. how could i forget that.
I was going to direct you to the thread about that topic, but how you proceeded with that line of thought didn't bother me, so directing you to said thread would be a bit of a waste of time. We are in agreement, Avatar: The Last Airbender is not anime, but the difference between actual anime and Avatar is so slight it mind as well be non existant.

As for your recommendations... /facepalm
Except FMA. FMA is a great anime that I suggest to even seasoned anime veterans.

OP: I suggest:
Ghost in the Shell
Cowboy Bebop
Escaflowne (let me know if you do, there is a slight detail to work out with it)
Akira and Bastard get a +1 from me as well

And thats all I can think of at the moment that fit your criteria. Most of the anime I enjoy are really Japanese.