Azurian said:
Really shocked no one mentioned the classic Cromartie High School

I love that anime sooooooo much!

"*gasp* I mentioned anime yet nothing here is moving!"

*pen rolls*

"MOVEMENT!"

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
It's a tad old school now, but try the Rouroni Kenshin OVA, might be called Samurai X in english. Kenshin is a bit effeminate, but he is also based loosely on an assassin who was known to look effeminate, and it's hardly too extreme. But if you find the TV show, you will (Looks at your list)...be very disappointed.

I think that's all I can add that hasn't already been added.

KP Shadow

Jul 7, 2009
I'd recommend doing what I did: Watch a good abridged series (I'd recommend Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged, Team Four Star's Dragon Ball Z Abridged, and Gutted Wren Studios' Mobile Suit Gundam Abridged). I've found that things tend tend to be more accessible if your introduction to it is in the form of a parody.

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
DarkRyter said:
Grenge Di Origin said:
This is where I stopped reading DarkRytar's post and concluded that he (or she) has zero taste. One Piece? Okay, that's fine, but out of all the series to select for no overblown and exaggerated characters, you choose Bleach and Naruto?
It's not a matter about giving him what I think is good. It's about giving him what he wants, and ultimately the big three have more in common with Avatar than 90 percent of everyone else's recommendations (which tend to be just copy pasted from people's personal top ten lists). They're all eating from the same "super powered young male protagonist participates in world changing conflicts against other super powered individuals" tree.

And it's ultimately not your place or mine, to decide whether they're good or bad. It's his.
I think you've hit the nail on the head there. OP seems to be after anime in the "shounen" genre (i.e action fantasy series intended for a younger male audience) if he enjoyed Avatar. As bad as Bleach and Naruto are, and as much as I wouldn't like to recommend them, there's no denying that they are the kings of the shounen genre.

togutas said:
Kino's journey is just wonderful. A story with the simplicity of a children's fairy tale but by no means is a children's show, in fact it is one of the most mature shows I have seen
Seconding Kino's Journey, it's one of the best anime ever.

As to OP's original question, the shounen genre isn't really my forte (I'm more of a fan of comedies with interesting characters) but I can make one suggestion and why it would be suitable. I'll be addressing OP's "requirements" (though personally I'm in favour of letting a show stand on it's own merits) by breaking them down into 7 points:

Full Metal Alchemist

Why:
1) There are absolutely no effeminate male characters. Why? Because the creator of the original comics believes that men should be manly :p
2) There are only a few female characters in FMA, but of the ones that are, none are the girly "Sailor Moon" type. The main female, Winrey, is a competent mechanic but still feminine in a few ways.
3) FMA does a really good job at fleshing out it's world and it's rules, making it very believable. It also helps that the alchemy in the show follows the laws of physics and chemistry.
4) Technically, none of the characters in FMA have "powers". They use alchemy, which is sorta magical, but it follows natural laws.
5) FMA has a number of cool action sequences involving people who can re-shape matter and use chemistry in combat.
6) FMA has a very good story, and the world changes a lot as the story processes (i.e if someone loses a limb, it's gone forever). It's also a well-balanced mix of serious and funny
7) The FMA world is basically a fantasy version of Germany. About the only Asian culture in the show comes from Xin, a fantasy version of China.

Kuranesno7

Jun 16, 2010
Ghost in the Shell (movie, tv shows, anything involved in that shit!)
Serial Experiments Lain (cyberpunk mindfuck)
Texhnolyze (gang wars in a world where dismemberment and limb replacement are commonplace)
Ergo Proxy (Dystopian future mixed with godlike sentinals looking after the last bastions of humanity on a cursed earth)
Katanagatari (*****, you better be watching this beautiful philosophical deconstruction of revenge)
Tatami Galaxy(you remember speed racer? think that voice speed, but in Japanese, and used in a post-modern rendition of a guy wondering what the fuck happened to the four years of university he attended.)