Show Me Your Journo-Face

Aroddo

Feb 22, 2012
the author seems to get a kick out of bashing fans ...

never played sonic and probably never talked to a fan, but this comic "joke" consist solely out of the line "Sonic fans are stupid".

And before it was "Complaining Mass Effect fans are stupid". I get the feeling that this comic is done by a troll.

Maybe it will get better but I have nearly given up on this.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Yep. This is true. This happens all the time. Usually during an interview with [name redacted]. I've had to consciously clamp my mouth shut to keep my jaw from dropping at some of the things he's said to my face.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
Covarr said:
anthony87 said:
I never realised people thought so little of Sonic fans.
You would too, if you spent any amount of time around them. Ever check out the SonicRetro forums? People argue about the most pedantic little things, speak with AUTHORITY on subjective matters as though their word were final, even when the rest of the community is doing the exact same thing with a disagreeing stance... It can be a really unpleasant part of the internet.

That being said, they really do know how to tear apart a Sonic game, find exactly what's wrong with it, and hack it until it's awesome. I'd call them diverse, even EXTREMELY intelligent (well, many of them, at least)... just not particularly sophisticated as a whole.

P.S. Thanks
I'm not trying to be needlessly inflammatory or anything because I love this website, but. . . have you spent any time on the forums here at The Escapist? The average Game Discussion or Off-Topic thread is usually full of people pedantically arguing about how objectively terrible CoD or Battlefield or Gears of War or Halo or Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy or Sonic the Hedgehog or Dead Space or Bioshock or WoW or Batman must be because they personally don't like those games. Or how the entire Mass Effect series is ruined forever because of ten minutes of bad writing after 20-30 hours of excellent writing before it, as well as two great games even further before it.
To be honest, I don't spend much time at the forums here. In fact, pretty much every post I've ever made has been a comment on an article or feature.

I'm curious just how pedantic other fanbases get. I recall reading through a few dozen pages of tantrums over the first teaser for Sonic 4 Episode 1, simply because of the color of his eyes. They claimed the whole game would be terrible on that basis alone (it was terrible, but for unrelated reasons).

I think what makes the Sonic fanbase more problematic than some, though, is two things:

1. The wild fluctuation in quality of the games. If they were consistently bad, there probably wouldn't be much of a fanbase (or much of a series, for that matter). If they were consistently good, then fans wouldn't go completely insane every year. But nobody really knows what to expect from a new Sonic game, which leads to rampant speculation on both sides, and creates an environment just begging for arguments to break out.

I'll use your Mass Effect example to support this theory. Fans loved the series, and din't have a problem with it, until a sudden shift in quality. Even though I am led to understand the series was great until that point (haven't played 'em, so I can't speak from experience), it's the massive swing that leads to a similarly massive swing in fanbase attitudes. As the old saying goes, "The bigger they come, the harder they fall," and that definitely applies here.

Now imagine that happening over and over again, like a rollercoaster that derails, falls through sheer luck perfectly onto a different part of the track, and then derails again, in an endless cycle. That leads to a level of chaos that can't easily be escaped.

2. The Sonic fanbase is just too big. There are people with thousands of differing perspectives, from all walks of life. The more people you have, the more likely they are to disagree. The more they have to disagree on (which is a lot, since they also spend so much time speculating), the higher the tension level in general is going to be. Add to that the occasional injection of unnecessary drama (members trying to take over sites, DRM in a fangame, even allowing a group that large to discuss politics and religion), and you've just got a recipe for disaster after disaster.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying other fanbases aren't this bad. But the only other fanbase I have any real level of familiarity with is FF7, which is less ranting lunatics and more people with Cloud in their name rambling about how cool Sephiroth is. Not as much brain activity overall (there is some locked away in small corners, such as many of the FF7-mod-producing folks at qhimm.com), but for the most part far more peaceful.

Is the Sonic fanbase overall more immaturity-prone than most? I lack the broad experience to say. But among those few that I know fairly well, it's certainly the least grounded in civility. A pity, because it's also the most technically impressive that I've seen across the internet.

P.S. Thanks

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
I'm not sure what I found funnier, The comic or the fact that the words "Sonic brand has a very diverse and sophisticated fanbase"

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
I was laughing more at the quote than at the journo-face xD
How can anyone say that with a straight face?

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
I was about to defend them from this when I remembered this
and this

As far as the comic goes though it really wasn't that great, what the man said in real life in the interview was funny, this was just taking it and making no joke on its own save for explaining that what he said was funny.

noobartist1

Apr 11, 2011
Aroddo said:
the author seems to get a kick out of bashing fans ...

never played sonic and probably never talked to a fan, but this comic "joke" consist solely out of the line "Sonic fans are stupid".

And before it was "Complaining Mass Effect fans are stupid". I get the feeling that this comic is done by a troll.

Maybe it will get better but I have nearly given up on this.
Hehe.

It's just "current affairs" being used to prove an unrelated point. It just so happens there is a real-world interview recently that can be used as the topic to trigger this comic's point, so it got used.

If Half Life Episode 3 suddenly is released tomorrow and it has... ... I donno, platform levels (re: Xen levels) as an example, you betcha your ass our dear author will severely MOCK platforming in FPSs using that new game as the vehicle of the joke.

I shudder at the thought of Gordon Freeman going "It'saa me, Mario!"

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
him over there said:
I was about to defend them from this when I remembered this
and this

As far as the comic goes though it really wasn't that great, what the man said in real life in the interview was funny, this was just taking it and making no joke on its own save for explaining that what he said was funny.
I know I just bought a ticket to hell for this, but I laughed in the first video. The man's hatred for Amy is just...sad. And the end made me throw up a little.

OT: Oi! Not all Sonic fans are batshit insane. The rest of us just quietly wait for a decent game to come out every few years.

The comic was hilarious though. His face in second and third panels are golden.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
Oh, that's just mean spirited. As someone who doesn't interact with sonic fans and as someone who probably missed the event that gave this stigma to the sonic fans in the first place, can someone please explain to me what the problem with the sonic fan base is? Is it just because they like the terrible to meh games, or is it their attitudes? This comic seems like that kind of broad over-generalization that I hate and expect from something like Fox.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Normally i would be annoyed that this comic has broken the golden rule of the internet gaming community (1. Do NOT talk about the Sonic Fanbase). Yet, i can't help but laugh at how true it is and honestly? I'm surprised he held it in for six months..i'd have lost it within 6 seconds.

That man has some serious self control.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Diverse? Yeah, that's why we can never agree on shit (The genesis era was better, no the DC era was better, no the hedgehog engine is best, etc. etc.)
Sophisticated? Pfffftttaaaaa...ha ha haaaaaa. *gasp*

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
jdogtwodolla said:
Oh, that's just mean spirited. As someone who doesn't interact with sonic fans and as someone who probably missed the event that gave this stigma to the sonic fans in the first place, can someone please explain to me what the problem with the sonic fan base is? Is it just because they like the terrible to meh games, or is it their attitudes? This comic seems like that kind of broad over-generalization that I hate and expect from something like Fox.
While yes, a lot of video game fandoms tend to get ridiculous, but the Sonic fandom has gained a lot of infamy over the years. I think everyone will give you a different answer as to why they think the fandom is so bad, but for me it's the art. I've seen way too many people on DeviantArt obsessively flaunt their recolored characters, claim them as OCs, get really self-important, and then get up in a frenzy when someone tells them that they aren't real artists for using the fill tool in MS Paint. At least for me, this happens with insane frequency in the Sonic fanbase, moreso than other fandoms.

Also, there's Chris-chan. I can't link his ED article here, cause ED is pretty NSFW, but you have to go look it up if you haven't already.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
Seriously? Noone has qoute this guy looking like Kira yet? ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C65oaIHsdYM

There. ^_^

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
rembrandtqeinstein said:
I was lost as a member of the sonic fanbase back when Sonic Adventure for dreamcast came out. And they made it so you STOPPED RUNNING when you slightly touched a wall.

I was hoping that would be Sonic's Mario 64 breakthrough moment but alas the guys at Sega were so busy patting themselves on the back about how awesome the dreamcast technology was they forgot to make a game.
Mahorfeus said:
It's sad really. As much as I loved the Sonic Adventure games, they were such huge pieces of crap.
It's news to me that Sonic Adventure itself is so poorly regarded; I remember everyone being crazy about the first one, and to a lesser extent the second one at the time, and while I never had a Dreamcast, I recently bought the PC version on a Steam sale, and I have to say, it's what a 3D sonic game should be. The series did take a nosedive after that, though, reaching an absolute nadir with Sonic 2006. Seriously, in that one you really did stop if you bumped into a wall unless there was a canned animation for it -- and even the canned animations were more likely to glitch out and kill you than not. In Adventure, the physics were based on the side scrollers, and you'd run up any walls that weren't completely vertical.