Show me your t.....atts.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Mudman1234 said:
OT: I'm a bit surprised there are only very small or simple tattoo's in this thread. No one keen for some heavy detailed ink?
Lack of finances is holding me back only lol

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Silverbeard said:
Okay mates, this might get me in trouble around these parts but I simply do not and have never understood the appeal of tattoos. The prospect of anyone other than a licensed medical professional sticking long needles into my skin gives me the shakes. I cannot imagine what you folks see in the whole affair- especially if the tattoo is going someplace where people (strangers, mainly) will not see it on a routine basis like the chest or arse...
The thing I don't get is how there can be so many bloody tattoo parlors. I live in a medium sized city and downtown there are like 10 tattoo parlors all in the same couple block radius. Are there really that many people constantly getting tattoos to support all these places? It's not like half the population is walking around like a human painting. Like, if each of them gave just 1 tattoo a day that would still be over 10% of the total population getting a tattoo every year!

Silverbeard

Jul 9, 2013
WWmelb said:
Silverbeard said:
Okay mates, this might get me in trouble around these parts but I simply do not and have never understood the appeal of tattoos. The prospect of anyone other than a licensed medical professional sticking long needles into my skin gives me the shakes. I cannot imagine what you folks see in the whole affair- especially if the tattoo is going someplace where people (strangers, mainly) will not see it on a routine basis like the chest or arse...
Also not sure about other countries, but in australia tattoo artists that have their own studio are 99.9% of the time licensed and highly trained, and are routinely inspected by our health authorities. They are even more strict on tattoo studios than they are on brothels ffs.
There's another thing I'm curious about: Who exactly licenses a tattoo artist? Is there a regulatory agency? Branch of the government? This probably varies from country to country so just tell me what it's like in your neck of the woods. I live in the USA and I've never heard of a tattoo artist certification agency or program. Whenever I pass by a parlour I'll see a 'WE'RE LISCENSED' sign but never a clue as to who is doing the licensing...

Silverbeard

Jul 9, 2013
Drathnoxis said:
The thing I don't get is how there can be so many bloody tattoo parlors. I live in a medium sized city and downtown there are like 10 tattoo parlors all in the same couple block radius. Are there really that many people constantly getting tattoos to support all these places? It's not like half the population is walking around like a human painting. Like, if each of them gave just 1 tattoo a day that would still be over 10% of the total population getting a tattoo every year!
I know! My main street has seven different nail/hair salons. It's baffling how they've all managed to stay in business for more than a decade. I mean, there're probably more people getting their hair and nails done than there are getting tats but still. These places must be charging several arms and legs for their services.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Silverbeard said:
WWmelb said:
Silverbeard said:
Also not sure about other countries, but in australia tattoo artists that have their own studio are 99.9% of the time licensed and highly trained, and are routinely inspected by our health authorities. They are even more strict on tattoo studios than they are on brothels ffs.
There's another thing I'm curious about: Who exactly licenses a tattoo artist? Is there a regulatory agency? Branch of the government? This probably varies from country to country so just tell me what it's like in your neck of the woods. I live in the USA and I've never heard of a tattoo artist certification agency or program. Whenever I pass by a parlour I'll see a 'WE'RE LISCENSED' sign but never a clue as to who is doing the licensing...
In Australia it's a government regulatory thing that issues the licenses much like opening a restaurant. I have no idea if that is how it works in other countries though. As far as ABILITY goes, well, some artists are just hacks and have no talent at all, while some are geniuses. always best to research your artist first.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
Got it as a memento, during my late twenties I got into a bit of a rut with life, doing the same thing day in day out and wasn't happy and nothing was changing for the better (which it wouldn't doing the same thing day in day out) so I decided life should be an adventure and this culminated (after many smaller adventures) cycling unaided (and without a map) from London to Paris with my best friend.

So, I got this little reminder, to get a life..

Mar 26, 2008
WWmelb said:
Silverbeard said:
WWmelb said:
Silverbeard said:
In Australia it's a government regulatory thing that issues the licenses much like opening a restaurant. I have no idea if that is how it works in other countries though. As far as ABILITY goes, well, some artists are just hacks and have no talent at all, while some are geniuses. always best to research your artist first.
There are a lot of backyard scratchers about. I think everyone knows of one either directly or through a friend of a friend of a friend. My wife's cousin is a prime example. Him and his brother went halves in a tattoo gun and ink and tattooed each other and some of their friends. The word "shit" doesn't even seem to cover their work. Nice bloke, but I wouldn't trust any part of my body to him. EVER. He said he would do a half sleeve for me for a slab of beer. No fucking way.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
WWmelb said:
That is some pretty awesome artwork there! Don't suppose you want to do a portrait of artorias and sif from dark souls for me... lol that's another piece i need to get done once the endless sleeve is complete lol
Pop me a PM when you're ready, and we'll see what can be arranged.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
the December King said:
WWmelb said:
That is some pretty awesome artwork there! Don't suppose you want to do a portrait of artorias and sif from dark souls for me... lol that's another piece i need to get done once the endless sleeve is complete lol
Pop me a PM when you're ready, and we'll see what can be arranged.
Will do, but it won't be for a while yet :p Like i said, need to finish this sleeve first hehe

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Programmed_For_Damage said:
WWmelb said:
Silverbeard said:
WWmelb said:
Silverbeard said:
There are a lot of backyard scratchers about. I think everyone knows of one either directly or through a friend of a friend of a friend. My wife's cousin is a prime example. Him and his brother went halves in a tattoo gun and ink and tattooed each other and some of their friends. The word "shit" doesn't even seem to cover their work. Nice bloke, but I wouldn't trust any part of my body to him. EVER. He said he would do a half sleeve for me for a slab of beer. No fucking way.
Oh yeah, i remember a guy by the name of "Shaky" Bill who had a "studio" in St Albans back in the 90's... dodgy as shit lmao