Show us a genre of electronica

Coppernerves

Oct 17, 2011
Electronica represents a broad range of musical styles, sharing the use of various electronic production methods and materials, such as drum machines, keyboards, samplers, synthesisers, and sequencers.

I've decided to start with that much maligned corner known as
DUB
STEP
(That is, I feel, the proper way to spell it)
I'm not a big fan of the genre, but there are two or three songs I've wanted to put out there, since they take the format and put their own spin on it.

So I humbly offer you:
A lot of blues/jazz influence in this, starts off very laid back, a sloppy-joe type thang, gets a bit raucous as the wobble bass comes in, fairly rhythmic drop.
This one's a whole lot smoother, "liquid" as the smoother examples of DnB and DS get called, with some very 90s lines mixed in with more modern synths.

The vocals sound a lot like Skyward Swords' Fi to me.
I have a pet theory that her name is short for Fidelis, or "Faithful"
(Preferred Midna though, tsunderes, go figure.)

Fermented with their trademark bubbliness, and also a surprising level of feels in the keys and vocals, and it really rocks out on those beats, bass lines, and guitar riffs.

Well that's one genre, if you feel I've misrepresented
DUB
STEP
you're welcome to provide a correction, but I'd really like a broader range of electronic genres to get representation here, everything from chillout to aggrotech and beyond.

EDIT: Any chance we could stick to one genre/subgenre per post? I think it'd present genres' more informatively.

Aug 31, 2012
Ok. Lets start close to the beginning (ignoring kraftwerk etc), slightly after detroit Techno and acid house etc

I will show you some breakbeat hardcore i.e. oldschool/rave. This is pretty much when the techno family broke into the mainstream.

I will be back with more genres later, but now I have to go buy tickets to a Chris Liberator gig on Friday ;p

(comparatively hard, but not that hard, about middling IMO) Acid techno

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Can't say I'm into any electronic music at all, with one massive exception: Triarii. Martial industrial band. It's pretty fucking badass. Inspires visions of both Roman and Wehrmacht soldiers marching to battle.

It sounds glorious and proud, yet oppressive and doomy as fuck. Besides this though, I haven't heard any electronic music I've enjoyed.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
I listen to a variety of electronica. I tend to ignore specific genre. Types here are Drum & Bass, Ambient, Trance, and an Instrumental from a recent game. It is a bit of a rollercoaster mix, you'll either like it or you won't.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Electronicore is the only type of electronica I listen to. The only bands I can think of are I See Stars, Enter Shikari, and Woe, Is Me. Guess I can only listen to electronica if they scream in it.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Chiptune is a sub-form of electronic music, right? Well, let's big up some sweet Gameboy tunes yo! [https://nnnnnnnnnn.bandcamp.com/album/cosmic-lovely-lovely]

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
I absolutely love dubstep. A massive playlist that can vary wildly. From the mellow,

To the calm(ish) and vocal,

To the utterly insane!

I only really listen to stuff like this in the car. A boot full of amps and subs is essential!

I'm into loads of electronica though, so I'll have to piece together a megapost in a bit :)

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
TheKasp said:
Private Custard said:
Though I'm not the biggest fan of the dubstep style of electronica I still have to ask myself...

Why can't the DJs in my town play music similiar to this during dubstep parties? I remember one particular evening where the song didn't change in any way or form for nearly 30 minutes and I know that genre can deliver something better than such. Your examples sound really pleasant to me, something I would not mind at all.
I've never heard 'Bang' referred to as pleasant!!

I think the problem nowadays is that everyone's a DJ! Back in the vinyl days, DJ's had to have an incredible amount of passion and dedication to amass a huge collection of tracks, from genres that weren't at the forefront of popular music.

Nowadays, they go to iTunes and type in 'dubstep'. They then end up with a playlist full of Nero and Skrillex, instead of stuff like this.....

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
TheKasp said:
Yep, I can see where the word 'pleasant' came from now! I'm probably in the same boat as you in a way.....I have a large Aphex Twin collection. It's the only way I could see this as relaxing....

!!!!!

Carrotslayer

Jun 14, 2010
Well, let me share my digitally created musical drug: Happy Hardcore, also known as UK hardcore.

Like other styles from the hardcore scene it has a ridiculously high pace with a bpm count around 180 (i.e. "three taps per second"). If you've ever listened to gabber or "standard" hardcore then it's kinda like that, except you exchange all the anger and aggressiveness with joy and happy thoughts. It may sound a bit silly, but that's exactly what it is. Like Clive Martin from Vice poetically described it: "Where broadsheet journalists laud rave as a generation-defining moment, happy hardcore resists academic warmth. It just goes OOSH-AH OOSH-AH OOSH-AH really fast and has stupid lyrics about flying about in the sky."
(Original article http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/in-praise-of-happy-hardcore)

It's fast, loud and doesn't bring a single speck of sadness. It's also great for making your friends believe that you are slightly insane when it comes to musical taste.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Oh god... I will have to heavily retrain myself here! I love a wide range of Electronic music... however, I will not try and catagorise it, I will just put the vids in spoilers and label them by their artists... Mostly because some of it I don't know how to catagorise, or what genre it is, I just like it!

By the way... this tune is called: A Huge Ever Growing Pulsating Brain That Rules From The Centre Of The Ultraworld
Pretty long eh?

I always listen to the stuff people put on here, and sometimes find stuff I really like and look up... hopefully I can return the favour to some of you! :p

EDIT: Ok... had to do some creative grouping due to the sheer carried away I got! :S 38 Tracks! I do hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did listening to it as I found it on YouTube!

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Carrotslayer said:
It's fast, loud and doesn't bring a single speck of sadness.
God... I need to dig out my Bonkers Albums again! After linking John Peel Is Not Enough, and Rush-Ins by Hixxy to my post I have an URGE!!

Aug 31, 2012
How about some Doomcore, as poineered by Fifth Era and the Crossbones Soundsystem?

And for the 2 gentlemen above me:

Some cheesy early hard trance?

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
I don't know what to call the 70s era of Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze etc - epic long songs, expansive and astral feel and themes with a lot of ambience. Anyway it's my favorite type of electronica
1 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09d2ocaeHlc]
2 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To8fEyHc54]

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
Right, this post consists of numerous genres, all of which I use to chill out.

First, one from one of the masters, Aphex Twin. Seriously bassy, just a warning!

Actually, sod it, a couple more!

And seriously chilled....

This one from Royksopp holds a special place in my heart. Way back in the early 00's, they made their first UK appearance at Homelands. A blazing hot afternoon, crashed in a tent designed for a couple of thousand people.......and there were about twenty of us.

Soon after, they exploded. It felt like an honour to have had such an intimate little gathering!

Some other randoms...

And in response to the thread the other day, about that woman with the violin. I have to say, I think she fails at adding a beautiful instrument to something new.

To back it up....

Electronic music can be truly beautiful, or completely savage. Anything you want really.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Been a hardcore raver for like 10 years now :).
Getting pretty old!

Here are some of my favourites
I'm not entirely in love with the direction HHC has gone in (things sound super housey/trancy now) but it's not really awful either.

I'm also really into Drum and Bass, UK Bounce (or scouse house), hardstyle, and gabber. I also really like Pure Trance and Vocal Trance (which is about as "normal" as my tastes go :p). I feel like I've really run the gamut of electronic music (ever listened to "experimental braindance"?) but I keep coming back to the fast styles of music. It's just what I love!

If anyone is interested I'm also a DJ and I spin live sets regularly and cast them on the internet! Hit me up for a link if you want :D

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
Weaver said:
You'll probably know. Where the hell does this sit?

I used to drive a 1990 VW Polo, with (amongst other things) couple of well-driven 12"s in the boot. This was one of the most frightening things I ever ran through it.

A few interior trim panels unscrewed themselves at about the 2-minute mark!!