Shower Thoughts MK2

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Am often bemused by how a news feed algorithm thinks I'm a 60 year-old hyper-conservative, insecure Grandma. But then it throws in these dumbfounding curve balls;

Screenshot_2022-05-24-15-59-38-15_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg

Screenshot_2022-05-09-23-08-14-21_f56d448df78e8512261d4bfbcb3978c7.jpg

Sometimes gotta wonder how much piss they're trying to take...

Screenshot_2022-05-21-14-53-05-95_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg

what. fucking. alien?

ezgif.com-gif-maker-178.jpg

They've only circled a rock!

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Birds are dinosaurs, the last surviving members of the theropods (which include T-Rex)

Does that make dino nuggets the most scientifically accurate shape of nugget?

Coffee is such a weird drink. The industry around it seems entirely based around Frankensteining it into something that doesn't taste awful.
I hate coffee, but it can taste good once you've diluted enough. My SO is a coffee lover and I love sending her pictures of my milked up iced coffee in the morning, drives her nuts.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Episode 2 of Bob wonders about pseudo science: barefoot shoes.

I can sort of see the appeal, the whole "it's how our feet were meant to be" thing. At the same time, the way proponents of the shoes act makes me both contemptuous and suspicious.

Some YouTube commenter was seriously arguing that barefoot shoes were TOTALLY better than modern shoes, all because he proved it scientifically.

For his high school science fair project.

Yup.

Anyway, not sure I'd try them out for myself. Despite being flat-footed, I don't ever really have knee or foot pain despite running three times a week. That and these shoes look ugly as hell.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I wonder why I'm so introverted and other people aren't. It's really kind of messed up. I just can't understand how anybody could enjoy meeting new people and hanging out with big groups. Having to have dinner with someone I don't know and talk is one of the most uncomfortable experiences I can imagine.

I just had to have dinner with my cousins, their SOs, and this random guy they invited. I spent the whole time wishing it was over and I could go home. I used to love spending time with my cousins, but ever since all these other people got involved it's been a real drag. I wish it could just be us hanging out playing video games again, but over the past couple years I've realized it's never going to happen again.

You can't just say "I'm an introvert and I hate your SO on principle, so don't bring them to Christmas this year." You just have to force a smile and make small talk and be uncomfortable. It sucks.

Last edited:

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
I wonder why I'm so introverted and other people aren't. It's really kind of messed up. I just can't understand how anybody could enjoy meeting new people and hanging out with big groups. Having to have dinner with someone I don't know and talk is one of the most uncomfortable experiences I can imagine.

I just had to have dinner with my cousins, their SOs, and this random guy they invited. I spent the whole time wishing it was over and I could go home. I used to love spending time with my cousins, but ever since all these other people got involved it's been a real drag. I wish it could just be us hanging out playing video games again, but over the past couple years I've realized it's never going to happen again.

You can't just say "I'm an introvert and I hate your SO on principle, so don't bring them to Christmas this year." You just have to force a smile and make small talk and be uncomfortable. It sucks.
It's even worse when it's the people you work with. Constantly get told about how great of a worker I am when all it really comes down to is that I don't wander around and chit chat with everyone else like my colleagues do. On the one hand I always feel like I'm being weird but on the other I don't know why people waste so much time talking.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Ah, I see my thoughts are already related to the last two posts, makes this easier

For decades there has been talk about introverts, shut ins, and autistics being on the rise, there's a lot more of them, but I wonder how true that is.

It's not a new thought for me or others to ponder; how uncommon are the various psychological minorities in reality? Are they even minorities? Could it just be the disinclination or inability to communicate leads to the perception of being a minority while in fact such people are far more numerous than that?

Now, that isn't a new thought to have, as I said, but it makes me wonder if and how we could identify people in the past like that. If they did indeed exist then what can we look at as signs of their nature? One example I thought of is the "old wizard" living alone outside of a town that speaks "in riddles" and how that could be an example of an introvert living how they wish to and appearing supernatural and weird to everyone else.

That also makes me wonder if that's how magical charlatans first appeared. People that couldn't replicate the substance but could make themselves at least sound similar. Hhm...

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Ah, I see my thoughts are already related to the last two posts, makes this easier

For decades there has been talk about introverts, shut ins, and autistics being on the rise, there's a lot more of them, but I wonder how true that is.

It's not a new thought for me or others to ponder; how uncommon are the various psychological minorities in reality? Are they even minorities? Could it just be the disinclination or inability to communicate leads to the perception of being a minority while in fact such people are far more numerous than that?

Now, that isn't a new thought to have, as I said, but it makes me wonder if and how we could identify people in the past like that. If they did indeed exist then what can we look at as signs of their nature? One example I thought of is the "old wizard" living alone outside of a town that speaks "in riddles" and how that could be an example of an introvert living how they wish to and appearing supernatural and weird to everyone else.

That also makes me wonder if that's how magical charlatans first appeared. People that couldn't replicate the substance but could make themselves at least sound similar. Hhm...
Introversion is simply a state of mind. Mind you, one that can't be easily changed, but one that can be disguised with enough desire and talent to do so. Sad fact is that it's largely unrewarding. Pretending to be someone you're not for the cursory benefit of others actually accentuates introversion as there is little to no return when you behave as others expect and they don't reciprocate a similar respect for you causing you to retreat even more into yourself. I've learned to just be myself. I don't demand or expect the understanding of others. Either you're ok with me going radio silent for a few hours or days, or you're not; not my problem either way. As far as I'm concerned, introversion is just as viable a lifestyle as any other; some people want to deal with everyone all the time, and some people don't; I'm of the latter camp.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Do you reckon that a ghost Dalek could go down stairs? And old-school one, pre 7th Dr and definitely pre NuWho rubbish.

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales

This first image from NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope is the deepest and sharpest infrared image of the distant universe to date. Known as Webb’s First Deep Field, this image of galaxy cluster SMACS 0723 is overflowing with detail. Thousands of galaxies – including the faintest objects ever observed in the infrared – have appeared in Webb’s view for the first time. This slice of the vast universe covers a patch of sky approximately the size of a grain of sand held at arm’s length by someone on the ground. Learn more about this image (en español).

Released one by one, the first images from the world’s largest and most powerful space telescope will demonstrate Webb at its full power, ready to begin its mission to unfold the infrared universe. The first images will be added to this page as they are released.

For more about Webb’s current status, visit the “Where Is Webb?” tracker.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I avoid clicking far too many videos on YouTube for the simple fact that I don't want a cursory interest dominating my feed for the next several weeks.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I wonder how it feels to be cast as a character written to be disgusting/unpleasant/unlikeable/just plain ugly. As in, without makeup or special effects. Like Hitchcock and Scully from Brooklyn Nine Nine, or the Thenardiers from Les Miserables.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Dave & Busters I wen to last night has about 5 or 6 types of Pac-Man lying around. There is even Pac-Man Battel Royale! This game in particular goes up to 6 players! There's a Pac-Man game that's all about the ticket prices, and the World's Largest Pac-Man Arcade game with two player co-op.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
If there's a sex scene in a film, and one person is rather more naked than the other, or you only see one face so you suspect the other is a body double, does that seem fair? Somewhat had to get naked and the other did not.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ok, so if the classic movie monsters are Dracula, the Wolfman, Frankenstein's monster and the Mummy...then the Wolfmann can pop up at any time, Dracual is centuries old, the Mummy millenia old, but Frankenstein only came out in 1818...that's a sudden demographic shift, and increase by 33%, for monsters at the end of the Industrial Revolution.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Ok, so if the classic movie monsters are Dracula, the Wolfman, Frankenstein's monster and the Mummy...then the Wolfmann can pop up at any time, Dracual is centuries old, the Mummy millenia old, but Frankenstein only came out in 1818...that's a sudden demographic shift, and increase by 33%, for monsters at the end of the Industrial Revolution.
Dracula was published in 1897, he's newer than Frankenstein's monster.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Dracula was published in 1897, he's newer than Frankenstein's monster.
True, but then he's supposed to have been around for centuries when that was written, while Frankenstein (I think) was supposed to have created his first creature at around the time the novel was written, something new to the world.