Shower Thoughts MK2

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Are scam email made by groups of people, some much more competent and dedicated and others?

Cause it seems most of the ones I've been getting are quite professional looking, with correct logos and usually reasonable corporate speech, but then they throw in a few typos and an obviously dodgy email address. Someone on the team letting the rest down?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Are scam email made by groups of people, some much more competent and dedicated and others?

Cause it seems most of the ones I've been getting are quite professional looking, with correct logos and usually reasonable corporate speech, but then they throw in a few typos and an obviously dodgy email address. Someone on the team letting the rest down?
No idea if this is true, but I heard they do those on purpose to ensure only those who are likely to go along with their scam actually engage. Kinda makes sense, a lot of scam work seems to be done manually. You don't wanna waste your time on people who may wizen up after you spend a bunch of time trying to social engineer them.

OT: I feel like podcasts have hit a boom during the pandemic not only because people had way more free time, but also because people miss just having conversations with buddies. I met up with college friends last week and time really flew by just chatting about inane things.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
No idea if this is true, but I heard they do those on purpose to ensure only those who are likely to go along with their scam actually engage. Kinda makes sense, a lot of scam work seems to be done manually. You don't wanna waste your time on people who may wizen up after you spend a bunch of time trying to social engineer them.
Ah...that makes sense, not thought of that.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I really wonder where some phrases come from. "Standing around with your thumb up your butt," was someone actually caught doing this? Who were they? How did it spread to the ubiquitous state that it currently occupies?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I really wonder where some phrases come from. "Standing around with your thumb up your butt," was someone actually caught doing this? Who were they? How did it spread to the ubiquitous state that it currently occupies?
I think that phrase mostly derives from the idea of of someone doing nothing to the excess of inanity; whoever came up with it was just being extra colorful with the idea. I highly doubt someone was caught literally standing around with their thumb up their butt. Careful Goggling it, though; the algorithms are always watching...

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Worry not, for I have no fears of the algorithms.

Seems like it's just a dirtier way to say stop scratching your ass and get to work.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I don't think anyone can hear the phrase "one million dollars" without hearing it in Dr. Evil's voice. I think it might be one of the biggest impacts cinema has had on our culture. I'm being hyperbolic; calm down, but it is nigh universal. If you've never put your pinky to you pursed lips and said something completely stupid, you're missing out,

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I don't think anyone can hear the phrase "one million dollars" without hearing it in Dr. Evil's voice. I think it might be one of the biggest impacts cinema has had on our culture. I'm being hyperbolic; calm down, but it is nigh universal. If you've never put your pinky to you pursed lips and said something completely stupid, you're missing out,
Sorry, but when I read the phrase just now this was the first thing I thought of before I read the rest of the sentence.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Assuming reincarnation is a thing that happens, how do you know if the person you are about to marry wasn't your pet or parent or both in at least one former life? Cause that'd probably be weird.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Assuming reincarnation is a thing that happens, how do you know if the person you are about to marry wasn't your pet or parent or both in at least one former life? Cause that'd probably be weird.
Considering how many billions of lifeforms there are on Earth, the probability of that happening are probably zero.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I actually had a related thought, how does reincarnation work when populations increase over time? Where are they getting all the new souls to put in brand new bodies?

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I actually had a related thought, how does reincarnation work when populations increase over time? Where are they getting all the new souls to put in brand new bodies?
There was a sci-fi short story about that, where the population gets really big and most babies end up without souls.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
A comedian I listened to made a somewhat related quip, effectively why aren't there any new ghosts? Why are reported hauntings always about ghosts from the 18th or 19th century? Why isn't anyone reporting being haunted by by some dude who died in 2012?

OT, there are more than enough reasons to doubt reincarnation is a thing, but one could speculate there is an infinite pool of souls and the limited supply of bodies finds those souls waiting in a queue maybe? Though why anyone would ever wait in line to experience the shit show that is humanity even once (let alone AGAIN) is beyond me...

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Well that sounds horrifying. What's it called?
Can't remember, it was in a collection of religion themed short stories.

A comedian I listened to made a somewhat related quip, effectively why aren't there any new ghosts? Why are reported hauntings always about ghosts from the 18th or 19th century? Why isn't anyone reporting being haunted by by some dude who died in 2012?
Where's my dinosaur ghosts? Lots of land that is now uninhabited used to be underwater, where's my giant squid ghost swimming through the air?

OT, there are more than enough reasons to doubt reincarnation is a thing, but one could speculate there is an infinite pool of souls and the limited supply of bodies finds those souls waiting in a queue maybe? Though why anyone would ever wait in line to experience the shit show that is humanity even once (let alone AGAIN) is beyond me...
Infinite pool of souls means that you aren't getting a second go at being alive. I don't think you can really balance "enough souls always" with "gets a second chance", given big population increases.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Well if we are talking about cross-species reincarnation, just think of how many species have gone extinct in the last hundred years.

Though why anyone would ever wait in line to experience the shit show that is humanity even once (let alone AGAIN) is beyond me...
So, like, humanity is the greatest form of life to ever walk the planet Earth. Our power over nature is unprecedented, the ease in which we live is unrivaled, and our lifespan is one of the longest.

But go ahead, you can reincarnate as a barnacle or a woodlouse or something.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
So, like, humanity is the greatest form of life to ever walk the planet Earth. Our power over nature is unprecedented, the ease in which we live is unrivaled, and our lifespan is one of the longest.

But go ahead, you can reincarnate as a barnacle or a woodlouse or something.
Yeah, always strange when you have people claiming they are genetically superior to other humans. Like, you've legit won the lottery, humans were born superior to every other form of life on the planet, you don't need to go overboard and claim to be superior to the other humans.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Yeah, always strange when you have people claiming they are genetically superior to other humans. Like, you've legit won the lottery, humans were born superior to every other form of life on the planet, you don't need to go overboard and claim to be superior to the other humans.
It's unfortunate, but there likely are individuals that are genetically superior to others. There kind of have to be with how evolution works (or used to work). Not, generally superior for the most part, but superior in specific and differing ways. Intellectually it's more difficult to measure and determine the effects of nature vs. nurture, but the fact that there are diseases and other negative conditions which are hereditary is proof enough that we were not all created equal. Whether or not the superior individuals are actually the ones claiming to be is another matter, though.

Reactions: Gordon_4