Shows how small we are right...

kwfang

Feb 22, 2010
When I saw this video I really was like o_O because I knew we were tiny in this universe I just didn't know we were this small

http://www.wimp.com/starsize/

Whats your opinion on this video does it make you wonder whats out there.

Beltom

Professional Lurker
Sep 8, 2008
Saw that in picture form a while ago. It really is quite amazing to see that comparison, really shows how small we are at the moment in the big picture of the universe.
It's incredibly unlikely that, in that vast expanse of space, there isn't another form of intelligent life, it's just that the chances of us ever reaching them, or them us, at the present is incredibly slim.

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
I remember a gif where they went into galaxy sized proportions and they had Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann at the end.

Because, you know, it's so big it uses galaxies as weapons.

nick n stuff

Nov 19, 2009
never really though of it like that. it annoys me that we will never know all of the universe and damn curiosity is my biggest weakness

Aug 25, 2009
Only one question, why was the music trying to make me feel like I was going to be stabbed in the neck from behind the whole time? That was music I would expect cthulhu to make.

Anyway yeah, I don't really bother thinking about things like that. It hardly matters what else is out there, there's so many things here on earth that can harm you or help you, so why get worried about things outside the planet, even further from my own control?

Sometimes is nice to see it presented in that sort of format though. They may have been trying to scare us into thinking 'oh my god we are so insignificant' but really, you're a part of this magnificent space creation, and every part of it matters.

And I guess that's something.

(Cue the line of haters telling me off for being so optimistic and cheerful. No, we must always have death and gloom and this clearly makes me lose all faith in humanity...)

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
There is no doubt to me that there is life out there. Whether or not we'll see it in our life times is another mystery. All I know is that I couldn't even see Earth after the scale got to the Pistol star. I couldn't even see the sun when it got to Canis Majoris (Big Dog. Ha, I got the joke). It really makes you feel small.

Truehare

Nov 2, 2009
Yes, we are very small at present, but that means we have an immense potential for growth. And when we do outgrow our planet, our solar system or our galaxy, we'll have an entire universe to explore, and in time we WILL do so. Gives our great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandchildren something to do, right?

Subzerowings

May 1, 2009
MelasZepheos said:
(Cue the line of haters telling me off for being so optimistic and cheerful. No, we must always have death and gloom and this clearly makes me lose all faith in humanity...)
Can't you find happiness in sadness?
After all, would there be happiness without sadness?

On topic: Thinking about the scale of the universe always makes my head spin. Imagine an infinite amount of infinite spaces, and then there's the possibility of multiple dimensions.

Sephychu

Dec 13, 2009
Hahaha, that's only the tip of the iceberg, though the visual cues do help. For most people, when you get to the real scale of things, it all becomes data and numbers.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Universe_Reference_Map_(Location)_001.jpeg

This is one of my favourite images of it all.

weecath77

Dec 22, 2009
We are here for a good time,not a long time!
We may be an insignificant speck of the galaxy living on the outskirts of our own system of stars,but we are AMAZING!
even you,sitting there typing on your computer,out of millions of sperm,you made it!
Video is class by the way :)

Squarez

Apr 17, 2009
Whenever I look at a star I think.

"Damn, all of these stars have planets that orbit them and chances are there's intelligent life floating around then, but we'll never, ever, ever reach them. Not at least in my lifetime."

Then I wonder about how advanced they are. Are they thousands of years in front of us. Or are WE the most advanced out of all of these and they're all living in mudhuts or still evolving at this point. This is why I've always found space so fascinating .

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Mathematically speaking (and in a similar vain to 0.9 recurring being equal to 1) I'd put forward the argument that we don't exist.

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
Makes me think tbh. Especially when our planet is 1 1,000,000,000,000th of the lagest star. Crazy stuff!

P.S (Don't quote me, I didn't measure, 1 trillionth seems ample though.)

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
It's funny how it says "our" universe and "our" largest star. As for the "feeling-small-and-meaningless-thing" i say we who doesn't study it for a living shouldn't worry so much about it. Call me ignorant if you want, but i don't really care about how big we are in this universe because it all boils down to surviving in our own present (and i don't think i'm going to have to worry about what's going on in outer space in my life-time)

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Woodsey said:
Mathematically speaking (and in a similar vain to 0.9 recurring being equal to 1) I'd put forward the argument that we don't exist.
how do you support that statement?

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
rokkolpo said:
so....on what day did god made all of that stuff?

such an overachiever.
He probably did that while he was laxing around on Sundays. Just hanging around up in the sky and messing around with creating ridiculously huge stars so that his few living creations could feel tiny and insignificant. (Seeing as the universe is so huge no one can know if he really has only a "few" living creations)