Shows/Movies/Games that you just couldn't get into

PilgrimScott_III

Sep 28, 2011
I've never had any particular desire or motivation to give G. I. Joe a chance for one specific reason: There's no character NAMED Joe in the show! Despite having never watched the show or movies, that one specific aspect of things would just completely unravel the experience for me because I know that even despite knowing for a fact that there is no actual "Joe" character in there, some small part of my mind is going to be perpetually seeking out that non-existent character, and thus I can't fully throw myself into it, kick-ass action or not. I know that the show was based on and named after an action figure of the same name, but if the show doesn't even have its title character in the cast, then you can't expect me to get into it.

Also, my family never had cable TV growing up, so I couldn't have watched it even if I wanted to. And on top of that, I live in Canada, so our neck of the woods never really had any particular need for "a real American hero", lol.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
Especially with how you cant have an accurate sniper rifle.
Of course you could. You just had to take a shotgun and jack its accuracy/damage up. Could one shot just about anything in the game from a distance where you couldn't even make out enemy limbs with the right shotgun spec.

Personally, I couldn't get into Fringe. I tried so hard... I loved the concept, I loved where they went with Peter and his father. But everything else is utter crap. I got to the end of season 4, and then finally admitted that I had wasted my time.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
Nice to see I'm not alone on some of these:

"Half-Life" - I know it's a classic, and I get why. Definitely the next step in the evolution of shooters. But the convoluted level design, the jump scares and the first person jumping puzzles just didn't do it for me.

"Marvel:Agents of Shield" - I tried a bunch of times to get into it, but I just found it kind of boring. It also felt, and there's no other way I can put this...OverWheedoned. All those typical quirks that I usually enjoy in a Joss Wheedon production just seemed forced and heavy-handed.

"The Walking Dead" - I watched the first season and really liked it. But I just never felt compelled to continued watching. As my wife put it "It didn't grab me".

"Fringe" - I think Anna Torv is a beautiful woman and a wonderful actress, but her Olivia character just irritated me with her constant low-key stoicism. For God's sake, woman...crack a smile! Plus, Joshua Jackson will always be Pacey. ALWAYS.

"Attack on Titan" - A lot of people screaming at each other in Japanese while Titans attack and show them how petty their squabbling really is. It's a lot like "The Walking Dead" but with ugly naked giants instead of zombies.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
Dragon Age Origins, I really, really, wanted to get into it but I just... can't.
I didn't like the combat, I didn't really like the UI all that much, the characters and story just weren't doin' it for me, and I HATE the setting. Western fantasy medieval orks and elves tropes have never been appealing to me in any context outside Shadowrun, it's the same reason I could never get into D&D, WOW, or Lord of the Rings, it's just not an appealing setting to me. Oblivion was unappealing to me for allot of the same reasons.

Devil May Cry, I am going to get some hate for this but DMC is the only Devil May Cry game that I actually cared to finish. All the rest I quit out of frustration, and this really pissed me off because I love spectacle fighters usually; God of War, Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising, I fucking love those kinds of games, but the Original Devil May Crys are just too unforgiving and unfair for my tastes, plus times jumping puzzles can go to hell.

Zelda, I am currently twenety years of age, and I have yet to see a Zelda game though to the end, I just could never get into it, the closest I've ever come was, funnily enough, Majora's Mask because I really liked the theme it had going for it, and it was so much different from the other Zeldas that I actually cared enough to WANT to finish it, but even so, I still got disenfranchised and quit a little over halfway though.

SGT_Noobnuts

May 30, 2014
Thanks for all the submissions guys :)

It's cool that the majority of you guys recognise that what we don't like we understand why others would.

For the most part I share the opinions of a lot of the subjects of popular culture that you've listed

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Callate said:
Farscape.

Watched the first year. Had its moments. But the characters, by and large, just seemed so shallow, the plots so predictable... And that theme song, good god...

I have a group of friends I gather with once a week to watch something (Buffy, House of Cards, Game of Thrones...), and we watched that first year of the show together. And then as a whole we said, "Y'know, never mind."
The first season of Farscape really suffers for a couple reasons. The first one I find is that the editing is just bad. Notice that Season 1 episodes were 50 minutes long, compared to every season after having the usual 45 minutes. Five minutes doesn't seem like much, but on television, those five extra minutes just drag on and on.

The second problem S1 had is that it had no clue what the show wanted to be about, so everything was extremely inconsistent. The alien crew members weren't so much characters as they were exposition dumps. S1 Dargo is awful because he's basically a Not!Klingon.

If you have netflix, give the second season a chance. Things pick up a lot more as the show became serialized, and they got their style down pat. It and Season 4 are probably my favorites, because they just go completely nuts half the time.

OT: Game of Thrones the books.

I love the TV series, and I've read the books. But while the show I find to be great, the books are awfully written. There's a good plot in there, but it's buried under 2000 pages of tedious descriptions and repetitive uses of Martin's word of the day. Count how many times he uses the word Destrier in the first chapter of Game of Thrones.

The show thankfully has the visual medium to use. So pages upon pages of descriptions are neatly summed up in two seconds of just looking at something.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Especially with how you cant have an accurate sniper rifle.
What? I've played through ME1 as an Infiltrator, exclusively using a Sniper Rifle and never had a problem with it.
Then again, I've also trained with rifles in real life and know that sway and oscillation is a thing and when to take a shot to diminish their effects on accuracy.

OT: I simply can't get into the Lord of the Rings movies, seeing as the events portrayed are so lacking in accuracy to what actually happened in the novels.

tilmoph

Gone Gonzo
Jun 11, 2013
Shows: Arrested development. It was good, I did laugh, but it never really grabbed me. I stuck it out, because, as I said, it wasn't bad, but I never finished the series. Got I think halfway through the original broadcast (never got to the Netflix revival episodes), and just lost interest.

Games; Two stand out. The first, as always, is Mass Effect 3. 2's gameplay kind of bored me, and the mining minigame can go fuck itself, but the character stories kept me interested enough to handle the gameplay. Even had some fun moments in the actual game part, in spite of myself. 3 just...didn't do it for me. I played about two hours of it, which I figured was long enough for it to get my attention. I know it's a long game, but if after a film's worth of time, I'm not enjoying myself on any level, it seems fair to just call it done. On the plus side, I never had to ***** about the ending.

The other one is Papers, Please. I wanted to like this game, I did. But it just...annoyed me. I can't really give a good critic. It just wasn't my cup of tea. I've actually given it another shot and had the same result, so damn.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Games:
Guild Wars 2.
I don't know why, I just felt incredibly bored while playing it. I first tried being a human thief but was bored by the time I reached level 6. I then tried being a charr elementalist and made it to level 10 with that. It was more fun, but after my play session with that character, I have had zero desire to play the game again. I think MMOs just aren't for me.

Uncharted 2 (only game I've attempted in the series)
I tried this at a friend's house and found it to be a bland third person shooter with better than average writing. There was nothing that got me hooked in enough to get the game for myself though. Maybe if I'd played the first game I would have gotten into it more.

TV:
Firefly
After reading so many people's praise about this show being amazing, I was expecting something a lot better. I watched the first episode, found it to be a mediocre story with mediocre acting (why are so many people obsessed with Fillion). Just my opinion, but I don't see the appeal.

Books:
The Wheel of Time Series
I really gave this one a fair chance. I read four of the books before finally deciding it was far too boring. There were some cool things mixed in and I did enjoy the world but it felt like nothing was happening and Jordan's writing style wasn't interesting enough to keep me entertained during the frequent lulls.

Movies:
I usually finish the movie I'm watching no matter what but I was watching one of the Paranormal Activity movies on Netflix one time and was frequently wishing that the movie would just end. I then remembered that I didn't actually have to watch the whole thing so I turned it off.

Soviet Heavy said:
Count how many times he uses the word Destrier in the first chapter of Game of Thrones.
How dare he be so specific as to tell you that one of the party members has a warhorse! Sorry, joking aside, I actually reread the chapter since it's fairly short and I was genuinely curious to see if he recycles words that much. He only uses it about 4-5 times. He's just making a point that the one guy has a better horse than the others (and that kind of goes with the smug douchebag's personality).
I'm not saying GRRM is an amazing writer or anything. Just, why'd you pick that out of all examples. Why not point out how he must always be hungry when he writes given the effort he puts into describing meals?

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Spirited Away. I don't get it, why is this movie praised as much as it is? While some of my complaints are just opinions, I just don't see the appeal. For my opinions, I feel like the main character is a brat that needs to shut up and doesn't even really come off as a person(and hardly anyone else even has the amount of development she gets, so even as an annoying character she's the most interesting). The plot is a jumbled mess with little direction and just jumps from place to place because reason. Past that the only major appeal I can see is that the world is kind of cool, but even then I don't see how that should be its saving grace, that a mediocre movie is made amazing just because of the setting. Also, the ending just kind of happens and basically is just a fizzle. It just feels like such a lazy way to wrap it up.

Just about all of those criticisms I can also apply to Labyrinth, but at least that had a good Bowie song.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
but at long distance it might as well have no barrel. Its actually madness.
That's bunk.

I've used the Sniper Rifle at distances beyond what the game would show and always scored headshots. Then again, it might just boil down to player skill.

Oct 12, 2011
Everything Will Ferrel has ever done. I don't hate the guy, I just find him to be completely unfunny.

On the same particular note, movies like the "Movie" franchise (Scary Movie, Date Movie, Epic Movie, etc.,) and the immensely popular Hangover series are just a giant pile of meh to me. If you like them, go ahead and enjoy the hell out of them. Just don't expect me to be watching them with you.

For games, RTS. I'm just not good at them. I want to be. I try to be. But I focus too much on select things and then get slaughtered as something comes at me from the side. It makes them too frustrating to play.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Player skill means little against enemies who don't move much, and are standing still, and I have the cross-hair perfectly on the head.
Like I said, weapon sway is a thing. You need to know when to shoot. If you think the Sniper Rifle isn't accurate, as you have claimed, then it shows you lack that skill.

miketehmage

Jul 22, 2009
For me it's Zelda. I know its widely considered to be a great series of games but I never played it when i was young and it never really interested me. The other day I tried to play one of them (couldn't tell you which) at my girlfriends house, because I know they are classic games and I really wanted to try to enjoy it.

But I think I played for about 20 minutes before I stopped.

I had to herd some goats, then I had to buy a slingshot but the shopkeeper refused to sell to me because his cat was missing so I had to bring the cat back, but in order to bring the cat back i needed it to follow me, and for it to follow me I needed a fish, and to get a fish I had to get a fishing rod, and to get a fishing rod I had to bring some woman a cradle or something. And to get the cradle I had to pick a flower and blow it like a whistle so that a hawk would come down and land on my arm so that i could throw that hawk at a monkey.

Fuck you Zelda.

I dunno man, I thought I was gonna get to go on an epic quest and throw a boomerang at bad guys, but 100% of my time was spent dicking around. Maybe I didn't give it a fair chance, but I had a feeling that thats just the way the game is, and I wasn't enjoying it. I thought I would likely find myself in similar situations. I imagine coming to a door I need to go through but to get through I need 7 keys which are scattered across the world. Fuck that. I hate that sidetracking shit.

But to each their own I suppose.