Showtime Buys Script About Psychic Food Detective

Garrett Grothe

Feb 18, 2011
Showtime Buys Script About Psychic Food Detective

Psychic cop comedy comic Chew is coming to Showtime in bite-sized portions.

Showtime has optioned to develop a half-hour comedy series based off the dark comic book series Chew. Stephen Hopkins [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102322-Psychic-Devourer-Detective-Comic-Coming-to-TV] attached to the show as producer and executive director.

Stephen Hopkins is no slouch in directing comedy series, with the pilot of Californication under his belt, and a few touches of dark comedy a la Tales from the Crypt.The script was crafted by Terri Hughes Burton and Ron Milbauer, both of whom are known for their work writing the well-received comedy series Eureka.

The comic book series Chew follows Detective Tony Chu who has the remarkable power to get visual clues just by tasting an object or fluid. With the show appearing on a network that isn't required to censor itself such as Showtime, you can quickly assume that Detective Chu could bite into some interesting/terrifying items.

Chew, published by Image Comics [http://www.imagecomics.com/] was created by John Layman and Rob Guillory and is still chugging along at a count of currently 17 issues.

I've been a fan of the series since the first issue and I truly hope the dark, dark comedy of the comic is successfully carried into a viewable format. With the success of The Walking Dead [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104980-AMCs-The-Walking-Dead-Is-a-Massive-Zombie-Hit], it's easy to put my faith behind Circle of Confusion.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/showtime-developing-comedy-series-adaptation-of-comic-chew/]

Doctor What

Jul 29, 2008
YES! When I read the headline I started to go fuzzy in the head with anticipation and then as soon as I clicked, I knew that my favorite comic series of all time was being made into a tv show.

Feb 13, 2008
HankMan said:
I could really sink my teeth into this :p
I was so close to doing a slew of "teeth" puns, but I think I'll leave it this time. :)

Looks good, although the "psychic detective" genre is a little full at the moment.

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
do want. it is good as a comic but, like Death Note, its even better live action: real people chewing murder victims sounds quite Pushing Daisies. i love that show!

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
I read 'psychic food detective' and cringed at the sheer stupidity. Then I clicked and saw CHEW come up and literally gasped for about five seconds straight. Chew is absolutely amazing; one of the best indie comics to come at me out of the blue in years. Glad to see it's getting some love.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
YES. YES. A THOUSAND TIMES YES.

I bought the whole collection of Chew on my iPod and it was awesome. I think this could be a fantastic show. LITERALLY cannot wait, so I'm building a time machine.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Another adaptation of a great Image comic. First, the Walking Dead, now Chew. Now, all we need is a film adaptation of Invincible! Best superhero comic i´ve read in a while.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Did they get from Yatzhee's gag about the pie-detective in the "Alan Wake" review?

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Well, I'm glad a premium cable channel grabbed it. That's where it deserves to go, if it is going to be one TV.

That said, I'm concerned that a live-action version just won't deliver. Either the whole "eating dead animals/dead people/bits of living people" will be just too squeamish to watch over and over again on the show, or they'll cut all that stuff from the show, and it won't be as interesting, just neutered.

campofapproval

Jan 25, 2011
HobbesMkii said:
Well, I'm glad a premium cable channel grabbed it. That's where it deserves to go, if it is going to be one TV.

That said, I'm concerned that a live-action version just won't deliver. Either the whole "eating dead animals/dead people/bits of living people" will be just too squeamish to watch over and over again on the show, or they'll cut all that stuff from the show, and it won't be as interesting, just neutered.
this is the channel that does dexter. it'll be fine, maybe a bit more stupid-showtime-shit than desired but it'll have pulpy goodness, forward momentum etc.