Sickness and Schizophrenia

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
One of my dearest friends has a problem. As in, a big problem. He's suffering from some of the symptoms of Schizophrenia. However, despite the auditory, physical and visaul hallucinations, as well as talking to hmself seriously, (although he's told me he knows its only him) he isn't experiencing any of the mental breakdowns yet. Let me make it clear that he and I are incredibly close, and he hasn't told anyone else yet, nor will he unless it gets really bad. But he's come to me for help, and I've been unable to locate what it could be. So, with lack of anybody I can trust, I turn to people I don't know. Please, help him. We need to know what it is before we can get help. So, particulars! He experiences hallucinations, but none of the other mental breakdowns, (i.e. lack of emotion and motivation, breakdown of thought process, etc.) He has no history of drug use, or any other stimulants. In all other respects, he's healthy, if a bit chubby.

Oh, and I forgot, he is becoming increasingly disorganized, but he's always been a mess.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
See a psychiatrist. ASAfuckingP.

Better yet, see a doctor first. Hallucinations are serious shit. It could be a whole host of things, some of them not related to mental illnesses, some of them potentially fatal.

ASAP. Doctor. Quick.
Oh God, really? I'll contact his parents, obviously, but first, could you give some insight as too what it might be?

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
retyopy said:
See a psychiatrist. ASAfuckingP.

Better yet, see a doctor first. Hallucinations are serious shit. It could be a whole host of things, some of them not related to mental illnesses, some of them potentially fatal.

ASAP. Doctor. Quick.
Oh God, really? I'll contact his parents, obviously, but first, could you give some insight as too what it might be?
A quick google search might give you some idea of how many things can cause hallucinations, and how many of them are potentially serious.

I dont mean to make you panic; it could be something completely harmless, or indeed schizophrenia. No matter what, a doctors appointment will do your friend no harm, and might do some good. (It will almost definitely do some good, because either the doctor can rule out something serious, or know what is causing the hallucinations.)

Im not saying OMG HES GOING TO DIE or anything, just take it easy and make sure he visits a doctor.
Ok, thank you. You've been a huge help. I'll get him to one as soon as I can.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Sounds like Schizophrenia, to me, but I am no expert. Schizophrenia can be treated with proper drugs, but you need to see a trained psychiatrist. So, tell his parents, or better yet, get him to tell his parents soon. He isn't going to die (I don't think), but it will make it much easier on him if he gets in contact with a trained physician soon.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Get him to see a doctor, who can refer to a psychiatrist or a psych unit if it's urgent.

In psychiatry there is actually a hierarchy in diagnosing.
Organic > Psychosis > Mood > Anxiety > Personality

Having hallucinations can put you anywhere in the first three, it could be a space occupy tumour or drug related (organic), schizophreniform, schizo-affective disorder, schizophrenia (psychosis depending on length and symptoms), or even bipolar type 1 (with manic delusion) or psychotic depression (mood).

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
As someone who's also suffered from certain symptoms, I advise you to take him to a doctor, who will probably refer him to a psychiatrist, who will probably put him on medication.

requisitename

Dec 29, 2011
I have schizoaffective disorder and the first symptom I had was auditory hallucinations. It was ~1 year between the onset of those and the onset of other symptoms. If someone has any ongoing symptoms of a mental illness, they should get themselves to the doctor post haste. The doctor/psychiatrist can sort out what kind of treatment it needs at this point and continue on from there.

If it is schizophrenia, it is a progressive illness. While medication can't cure it, it can slow the progression from bad to worse in some cases. So sez my psychiatrist. Although, it is entirely possible that he just tells me that to keep me on my meds. Hah.

Also, as mentioned above, there could be other causes for his hallucinations. At any rate, they are never a sign of perfect health and should always be checked out.