Silent Hill: Downpour Poisons Water With Horror

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Konami's next Silent Hill game will be as scary as always
I stopped reading here. Silent Hills stopped being scary on SH2, with SH3 catching up on last breath. The rest is just...not scary.

DatCracker

Nov 3, 2010
mireko said:
Degrading weapons could make sense in a survival horror setting. QTEs never make sense.

What actually happened to the original Silent Hill team?
Team Silent realized that their games were popular enough and well balanced, so they decided to call it in and hopefully end the series after Silent Hill 4.
Then every game designer and their uncle decided to swoop down like buzzards and pick at the remains of Team Silent's masterpieces (Except for SH4 of course)

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
mireko said:
What actually happened to the original Silent Hill team?
Several members of Team Silent, including the original Director, went off to join SCE Japan and craft the massively mediocre Siren games. The rest of them moved on to different things, some staying in the video games industry and some leaving.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
How come on most horror games, people complain about it being to action orientated. But on this people complain about having to avoid using guns??

Oh, and I have never played a Silent Hill game so if there is something I am missing tell me...

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
Gotta say, that trailer looked really good. The soundtrack specifically impressed me (the one that came in at about 1:30 and then again near the end), suited the atmopshere perfectly.

I might actually get this one.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I have a small fire of hope for one of my favorite series, but this game has the chance to either strengthen that flame or put it out completely. QTE though? If you want it to be like the original 3 that were good, cut the quick time events and foccus more on making the bosses as extremely disturbing as possible with screwed up attacks.
Please, Vatra. Do not downpour failure on one of my favorite horror series. Frictional is moving through the ranks with Penumbra and Amnesia.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
StriderShinryu said:
Not sure if I like the Downpour subtitle itself but I do think the focus on water could be cool, especially if that water turns to blood in the alternate world.
Why? Water can be way more creepy than blood. Stagnant pools, flooded tunnels, the ever present feeling that you're going to drown, the highly limited visibility of murky water combined with cool effects from distortion(refraction?), it has a lot of potential.

If it just turns opaque and bright red it would totally ruin a lot of interesting scenarios they could play out with it. Then again, it is a modern era Silent Hill so it could happen...

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
Nice to see that Heavy Rain is is getting a sequel.

But in all honesty...
This looks like utter shait.

Aztek463

May 4, 2008
C95J said:
How come on most horror games, people complain about it being to action orientated. But on this people complain about having to avoid using guns??

Oh, and I have never played a Silent Hill game so if there is something I am missing tell me...
People are never satisfied about anything these days.

Of the games I've played (1, 2, 3, and Homecoming) 2 was the best...so I suggest you start there. (that and the soundtracks to all of the games are pretty great).

OT: I'm looking forward to this. This feels like it'll be one of those "make or break" titles for the series, but saying it might not be that good because of degrading weapons and QTEs well before its release is just silly.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
I can't wait. I hope they make this pretty cool. The series deserves another awesome game...not that homecoming was bad, I actually liked it. It was a good franchise entry.

This character looks pretty good too.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
I
Woodsey said:
That trailer is terrible.

"Fighting should be avoided whenever possible in Downpour, with boss battles mostly taking place through QTE."

Surely the answer would be to not have boss battles then, instead of contradicting yourself and implementing a feature that no one likes?
I'm sure by boss battle they mean run away like a *****.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
I am a fanboy, so take the vitriol I will spew with a mountain of salt (not that salt will help with that /chemistry joke):
Degrading weapons are ALWAYS a horrible idea, and so is only being able to use a single one. Having combat is fine, and so is having no option of fighting back (like Amnesia), but limiting it is just an awful idea. The tension doesn't revolve around your impending doom, but whether or not there is another pipe around that can replace the current one with 5% durability left ('cuz, ya know, metal pipes break so easily).
QTEs. Stupid idea, I thought we've established that by now. No game has ever been fun if a stupid "Press X to not die!!" suddenly appears on the screen. If the entire game is QTE based, fine, but mixing always sucks.
The Protagonist. Having a prisoner isn't exactly a good idea. Where's the subtlety? Hell, we know he did something wrong, so him facing his inner demons won't exactly come as a surprise. Him looking like a mix of James and the bloke from SH4 doesn't exactly make him more appealing either...
That clue system will diminish the story by quite a bit. What I liked so much about SH2 (best game EVAR, etc and so forth) was that the story remained constant, but your actions determined James' future. It was his struggle you were witnessing, him coming to terms with his actions. I don't think the story could be as masterfully told if this linearity is removed.

Ok, now that I've got the hatred out of the way, I have to admit that the trailer actually looks quite good. I also don't have any problems with the water thing, provided it makes sense. Oh and finally, please dear developers, look at SH: Homecoming. That's the perfect example of how to NOT make a Silent Hill game.

Captain Booyah

Apr 19, 2010
holographicman said:
is it just me or are the recent silent hill protagonists staring to look the same?
Hell to the yes. In fact, not even the recent ones. Harry, Henry, Travis, Alex, and now Murphy -- the only reason James is any different is because he's blonde. (Along with Heather. Who is also a woman, obviously. ...And Harry had a kinda badass quiff thing going on.)

OT: I'm really, really praying that this redeems some of Silent Hill's dignity, if only a little. It's awful to see what was a fantastic franchise milked for more cash. I think that Murphy being a convicted criminal opens a WHOLE lotta doors psychologically, and could potentially be very interesting. It's nice to see a throwback to the old games with fixed camera angles, too: there was nothing worse than rounding a corner in the Labyrinth, only to run smack bang into Pyramid Head.

The degrading weapons thing worries me a little, though. Mainly because of Silent Hill 4. (It wasn't a bad game, mind, it just got carried away with mixing up the formula.) Although it could be done right, if handled well. Don't even get me started on the QTEs. NOOOOOOOOOO. WHHHHYYYYY.

Also, the first thing I thought of when I read the 'upside-down water' thing was 'Inception'. But I do genuinely like the idea of a...running water theme. *bah dum tish*

Sorry.

EDIT: 0.49. The background. WTF is Freddie Mercury doing there.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
my biggest question is that is he going to actualy be guilty of some crime or is it going to be another falsely accused thing, and if he is guilty is it going to be a real crime or some bullshit one

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
All signs point to failure:

A sequel that slipped under the radar? Check.
Inexperienced development company? Check.
Flaunting QTEs? Check.
Yahtzee's tears melting audio equipment? I'll check it anyway.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
mindlesspuppet said:
Why does a small coal mining town have a subway system?
Why does said town have a prison? Or an elaborate labyrinth located below the history museum? :p

Actually, I'm pretty sure it was only a coal mining town in the movie and Homecoming. The other games have always depicted it as a sort of resort town.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Danzaivar said:
StriderShinryu said:
Not sure if I like the Downpour subtitle itself but I do think the focus on water could be cool, especially if that water turns to blood in the alternate world.
Why? Water can be way more creepy than blood. Stagnant pools, flooded tunnels, the ever present feeling that you're going to drown, the highly limited visibility of murky water combined with cool effects from distortion(refraction?), it has a lot of potential.

If it just turns opaque and bright red it would totally ruin a lot of interesting scenarios they could play out with it. Then again, it is a modern era Silent Hill so it could happen...
I think anything that could be done with water could also be done with blood, plus I don't really see water fitting in as well with the alternate world aesthetic. You're quite right though in saying there are plenty of interesting scenarios that could make use of water and I look forward to (hopefully) seeing many of them.