SimCity Goes Offline With Official Update

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
This, combined with the whole Battlefield 4 fiasco, should make the statement for gamers to state yet again: EA is the worse company [for a 3rd straight year]. I understand oil companies boning people, and banks the same, but nothing is more obnoxious than an ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY that makes products for someone's free time to totally screw over their customers in order to flip a quick buck. It's a waste of people's free time, a waste of their money, and a hindrance on their mental state (i.e. getting really pissed off).

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Alexander Kirby said:
I like the way they're still sticking with the "it's not as simple as just going offline" BS with all this "we have to make sure it's really polished before we release it"

It's seriously like 3 lines of code, come on!
Sure, it runs offline with very little code changes. But they also needed to do some rebalancing to compensate for the lack of a global market when playing offline. Not that this should've taken the better part of a year; this is like two months of additional design work and testing, tops. But it is more than just enabling a mode.

P.S. Thanks

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Well, release it on steam and I'll pick it up guys!
OH WAIT YOU WANT ME TO INSTALL ORIGIN
nope nope nope nope nope

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
This feels better than the ME3 'extra DLC' thing...

Of course, it would still require Origin.... so I think I'll pass

Ace O'Hagen

May 28, 2013
I'm surprised they're not selling this as a 20$ DLC pack, to be quite honest. I mean, this is EA after all.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Cheese and rice! Update 10? You know a game wasn't ready to ship when it need updates on a nearly monthly basis after launch; excusing games with a strong PvP aspect that tend to need frequent balancing, which SimCity is not.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
It still needs cities back up to reasonable size and the AI fixed. Though now that they're allowing offline, maybe they'll allow offline only mods that will fix those.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
9thRequiem said:
Finally!
Now I might actually buy it.

I'm hoping that this will also increase the maximum size of a city - I would imagine the reason for the current tiny restriction is because of the online requirement, so without that maybe we can make huge sprawling cities again
Too true - now that they removed the particularly unpalatable aspects of the game, perhaps I'll buy it.

There certainly weren't any compelling reasons to do so prior to this! Hopefully computer game companies figure out that there are large numbers of gamers who want nothing to do with playing online.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
JenSeven said:
Now if only they allowed us to play it without installing Origin.
I wouldn't mind a Steam release.
SimCity 4 is there still, ready and waiting

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
I'm still not buying it.

I have simcity 4, why buy what is essentially a prequel for all the stuff it's taken out?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
So essentially, EA intends to switch off the multi player servers in the near future but wants to keep selling what they consider to be a current game.

Then they will finally get the game to a state something near where it should have been on release day, after spending God knows how much building and maintaining the infrastructure, then flapping moronically through the disastrous launch.

Oh well, chalk another expensive goof up to the guys in suits.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
See me when they add farms, terraforming, disasters off, increased city sizes, actual city simulation, and you know what actually i just go play simcity 4...

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
Next time it's on sale I think I might pick it up, if only to justify having Origin on my PC.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Guess who has a horrible and unreliable internet connection due to AT&T? Now guess who loves city builders and can actually play the damn game now?!

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
blackrave said:
But isn't SimCity an MMO?
How can MMO work without constant internet, connection?
Alright, sarcasm aside, how hard was to make Singleplayer and Multiplayer modes from the very beginning?
I suspect that Multiplayer wouldn't be as popular though.
Probably because they're way too obsessed with DRM to even realize how stupid the stuff they say actually is.

MMO-MMO-MMO-MMO-MMO-MMO-MMO-MMO-MMO-MMO-MMO-MMO-MMO-MMO-MMO-MMO-MMO-MMO-MMO-MMO-MMO-MMO-MMO-MMO-MMO-MMO. Fuck EA.