Simon Pegg To Join Monty Python Movie

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Simon Pegg To Join Monty Python Movie

And Robin Williams is his dog. No, really.

Simon Pegg, he of the Cornettos [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/7973-The-Worlds-End], is set to join the surviving Monty Pythons in their latest sci-fi comedy movie, Absolutely Anything. Pegg will play Neil Clarke, a high school teacher gifted with strange powers by alien beings. The Pythons - John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Terry Jones, Michael Palin - play the aliens, and Robin Williams is Pegg's dog. Not even joking about that last one.

"As someone whose love of comedy was hugely informed by Monty Python, the chance to work with Terry was a gift," says Pegg. "Meeting your heroes is one thing - working with them is something else."

That particular Terry is Jones, who will direct as well as perform. Pegg, says Jones, "is the absolutely perfect Neil;" high praise from a Python, which must have sent Pegg over the moon.

Absolutely Anything will start filming in London, March 23rd 2014.

Source: Screen Daily [http://www.screendaily.com/5064593.article]

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Robin Williams as his dog, eh? That, actually, DOES sound very Pythonish. (Or at the very least sounds like one of John Cleese's ideas.)

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I can only see brilliance or disaster at the end of this tunnel.

Always look on the bright side I guess.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:

Always look on the bright side I guess.
I'm going to be negative I feel, but I can only see this ending in disaster

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I hope the dog is a Miniature Schnauzer called Colin. But this is a Python film so it's probably called something odd. This is also the first I've heard of this venture, I await further news.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Wait! We're actually getting a brand new Monty Python movie?!

Getting Pegg in on the fun is a good move. Hope they bring in other top-notch UK and/or American comedians for this project. The only downside I see is trying to fill the hole left by the late Graham Chapman. Can a Python movie work without him? I'm just hoping this will turn out good, that's all.

As for Robin Williams playing a dog... not really surprised by that. This is Python, after all.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
If ever there was a modern actor suited to a Python role, it's Pegg.

This is a great day indeed.

vid87

May 17, 2010
*Reads title*

Sorry, I must've missed the evening news - when exactly did the planets align into celestial perfection?

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Wait wait wait. All the surviving Pythons are making a movie together? Hell. Fucking. Yes.

I cannot fucking wait.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
CardinalPiggles said:
That's more or less the summary of everything the Pythons ever did the first time round, even if this is terrible, it'll be terrible and funny.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
My cynical side is telling me that this might be the worst thing that could ever come from the likes of Monty Python.

But my optimistic side is grabbing me by the shoulders and shaking me furiously while shouting "IT'S MONTY PYTHON, ROBIN WILLIAMS AND SIMON PEGG IN A SCI-FI COMEDY MOVIE, HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU NOT BE EXCITED AT THE MERE THOUGHT OF THAT" at my face.

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
Karloff said:
The Pythons - John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Terry Jones, Michael Palin - play the aliens
How about Eric Idle?! He is MY FAVORITE Python.
And his abscence from this story made me rush to wikipedia to make sure that he didn't die.

He is not involved in this project? That would made me a very sad panda.
Either way, very excited!

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
Karloff said:
Pegg, says Jones, "is the absolutely perfect Neil;" high praise from a Python, which must have sent Pegg over the moon.

Not to be 'that guy' but shouldn't this read "Jones, says Pegg"? It just confused me for a second the first time I read it.

EDIT: Nevermind, just re-read it... I'm stupid and wrong haha.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Big_Boss_Mantis said:
Karloff said:
The Pythons - John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Terry Jones, Michael Palin - play the aliens
And his abscence from this story made me rush to wikipedia to make sure that he didn't die.

I did the exact same thing. The lack of Eric Idle bums me out. It won't keep me away from this movie but it will always be missing something.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Big_Boss_Mantis said:
Karloff said:

Don't know what to tell you. At first I thought Idle might be ill, or something like that, but he's going to be part of the London reunion. IMDB confirms that, at least for now, Idle's not on the cast list. Prior commitment, maybe?

option1soul

Nov 17, 2013
Lets all give a moment of silence for Graham Chapman please...

Also, a sketch written by John Cleese: http://youtu.be/aY-lAYe8xuk (I don't know how to embed)