Simpsons' Edna Krabappel To Retire After Actress Death

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
The Simpsons were a big part of my childhood, and Edna was one of my favourite characters (perhaps even my favourite supporting character). I agree that she MADE the character her own and her voice was just so bloody good for the role. I don't know if you could ever replace her. Even hearing the new Lunch Lady Doris is a bit hard not to remember her old voice, and she was much more disposable than Edna. Though as a kid, I always thought Zapp Brannigan in Futurama WAS Phil Hartman, but when I grew up I knew it was just Billy West being the master of voices he is.

RIP

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I've always kinda wondered how youd handle these kinda situations. Like if for some reason Dan Castellaneta died, do they have some kinda pre recorded dialogue for an episode like that?

Either way, i was sad when I saw this was true as she was one of the better characters in the Simpsons-verse. Gotta suck for Ned too. Guess being married to him is a sign.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Very sad news. Is this the first VA they've had pass away since the guy who voiced Troy?
Phil Hartman was my favorite voice actor on the show as Actor Troy McClue, Attorney Lionel Hutz, one episode as Fat Tony, and about a dozen other bit parts voices wherever needed.

Why did I never make the connection between Bob Newhart's secretary and Edna Krabapple? It seems so obvious now.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
It is a sad day for fans of The Simpsons and the people behind it. My thoughts are with the friends and family of Marcia Wallace.

While I can respect the idea of retiring Edna Krabappel, it does leave Ned Flanders dangling in the wind. Maybe, for the sake of a happy ending, have Edna and Ned leave Springfield (perhaps she got a new job) and pursue a new chapter in their lives. I know it will anger a lot of fans but its better than having Ned lose another wife just because of a real life tragedy. It would offer some character growth for the Simpsons and those affected by the departure, especially Homer.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
She died?! When?! This is the first I'm hearing of it!

That's sad. May she rest in peace...

Stabby Joe said:
This is very sad news indeed and I'm glad they respect her enough not to try and replace her, like Phil Hartman. Makes me would if they'll outright finish the show is one the heavy hitters passes away.

I also wonder how it will work storyline wise with Flanders.
Well, do you remember what happened when his first wife died? He sank deeper into his Religion as a means of coping with the loss (And also really started his Flanderization). I can imagine that happening again, which would be very sad...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wait, those two got married? Before you asked, I stop watching the show ages but the last random episode I've watched was when the two did became a couple at the end of the voting.
If they not going to killed her off then I guess the possible storyline is simple they had a big fight resulting of Krabappel leaving in some undisclose location. Actually who is going to be Bart new teacher then?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
R.Nevermore said:
If you ask me, she MADE the character.
He raises a solid point, though, in that Mel Blanc MADE several characters. The ones he gave are just the most iconic. Bug Bunny still went on, as did Daffy. Bug has even been voiced by Billy West of Futurama (and many other shows) fame.

emeraldrafael said:
I've always kinda wondered how youd handle these kinda situations. Like if for some reason Dan Castellaneta died, do they have some kinda pre recorded dialogue for an episode like that?
"I have to go now, my planet needs me."

BigTuk said:
Oh come off it. There are elvis voice impersonators out there good enough that the people who heard the real elvis couldn't tell the difference. If they quietly replaced the actress say due to firing or a scratchy throat you wouldn't care or know since I'm quite sure you don't scan the names in the credit roll at the end of each episode.
And yet, they had trouble convincingly replacing Mel Blanc, your own original example. Hell, they've had issues replacing Mark Hamill as The Joker, a role not even remotely unique to him.

You can't guarantee or even remotely assume that people wouldn't notice. Hell, people frequently think the voice actor for Homer changed after the first season or two.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Poor stupid Flanders. He just can't catch a break
onetwothreefour
At this point, I am sure God is just trying to push him toward doing something that will give Peter has a reason to not let him in, has to prevent himself of becoming the target of Ned's scrupulosity and thus basically ending up like Lovejoy.

Or maybe he just really is the Devil. =p

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
Damn, this is really sad. I always felt that her problems (trying to find someone for her) felt a little more realistic and occasionally touching. Sure, they made a joke about it for a long time (I think she dated quite a lot of the male cast of the Simpsons? It's been awhile.) but having her pair up for Ned was a good call I think. Her "Ha!" was hilarious for some reason, which I always loved.

I haven't watched the Simpsons for quite some time but its a shame, her episodes were really interesting most of the time.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Stabby Joe said:
This is very sad news indeed and I'm glad they respect her enough not to try and replace her, like Phil Hartman. Makes me would if they'll outright finish the show is one the heavy hitters passes away.

I also wonder how it will work storyline wise with Flanders.
They might have to. As sad as this is, it's also rather lucky as she only did the one voice. 80% of the Simpson's cast is done by 6 people. Losing Dan Castellaneta not only costs us Homer, but Grandpa, Barney, Krusty, down to Hans Moleman and that re-occurring lawyer with blue hair. That's a lot of new casting and voice training.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
RikuoAmero said:
Any idea what they'll do once any of the core family members dies?
Ever since the Isaac Hayes South Park incident, they've had a plan in place for if Nancy Cartwright leaves te show. They've said that Bart won't be the problem, Ralph will.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Evonisia said:
I saw that episode last night and was going to quote that. Darn.

I always liked Edna as a character, I'll miss her.
Glad to see someone got it. Even in the early seasons I felt that Edna captured traits of a lot of my elementary school teachers- initial enthusiasm for the job diminished to apathy by repetition and the unpleasantness of dealing with kids like Bart.