Sins of a Solar Empire Invades Steam

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Its only a game, its only a game, its only a game. Its only... 15 dollars? Gaahhh, resist, Don't cave in! Dooooonnnnn't.......

$15 later....

Definitely not disappointed, been looking for this for a while after I heard good things from my friends.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
So long as I don't have to use steam, I'm fine. I personally prefer Impulse, and if they make you have to use Steam, then I will probably stop playing the game.
I did prefer Impulse when Stardock ran it though...

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
This and Galciv 2 were brilliant games for their time. GO STARDOCK!

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Duskflamer said:
I've heard good things about this series, should I get this game?
Fuck yes. It's one of the best space strategy games out there.

Omega 380 said:
I forgot that i brought that game, now i have to download it. Shame i suck at RTS games.
It's not too difficult to figure out, there are a few simple steps that you should start with as any race. My big piece of advice, however, would be to play with a friend. Have one person go economy and have the other go all out military. That's what me and my dad do. I had a solar system of literally just trade ports, every couple minutes I'd just give him all of my cash, which he'd use to buy other resources and drive up the market price, thus starving our opponents.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I remember buying it from Gamestop back in '08, still got my case and everything. It intrigued me and while I've never been a huge fan of RTS games, it's safe to say that I've spent many, many hours playing against the computer. The custom systems can get just so massive. . . I don't think I had a single game that ended in under five hours. It's very engrossing, even for new-comers to the RTS genre. I just wish that there were more than three races and that the diplomatic functions (which were improved with one of the expansions) were easier to manage.

I might have to keep my eye on Rebellion.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Oh, so did that filthy liar Wardell change his mind about Steam now. I don't have any respect for that guy, whether that game is good or not.

Rusman

Aug 12, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
YES! I've wanted to get this game for so long, but I was never willing to use Impulse over steam. Time to conquer some planets!
Me too! Just got to get bored of Skyrim and finish Dungeon Defenders... might be a while before I'm conquering planets...

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Rusman said:
Soviet Heavy said:
YES! I've wanted to get this game for so long, but I was never willing to use Impulse over steam. Time to conquer some planets!
Me too! Just got to get bored of Skyrim and finish Dungeon Defenders... might be a while before I'm conquering planets...
Hehe, same.

I do have the disc version but didn't like it, however I am reliably informed it gets better with the addons. I'm willing to drop a few quid to give the complete set another go.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
Sins of a Solar Empire is a meh game. It was supposed to be the messiah son of Homeworld and Total Annihilation. It was not. It's oh so shallow and limited in what you can do. I also found ships being unable to use all their guns till they levelled up to be really strange. I still bought it because I wanted to support Stardock since they're one of the few developers that really care about their PC audience. I bought all of their games simply for that reason in fact, even though I'm not too much of a fan of their games. Except Demigod which was okay for a while.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
The gods have answered my prayers! I almost on impulse just clicked the buy button on that game!

...no pun was intended, but happily accepted XD

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
Really? Curse you Steam!! I don't know how to quit you!!

* purchases *

Well.. I guess this means I will not be needing Impulse anymore...

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Omega 380 said:
I forgot that i brought that game, now i have to download it. Shame i suck at RTS games.
Don't worry, I'm terrible at RTS games and I still enjoy it for the spectical alone. Zooming on a fleet of 500+ ships from tiny bombers to giant Capital Ships as they simultainiously jump to hyperspace never gets old. The easy difficulty setting is also very forgiving with the computer rarely attacking your worlds directly and the snaller maps (1 Star) are laid out in a way that lets you heavily fortify 2-3 planets and block off access to the rest of your Empire.

shrekfan246 said:
I might have to keep my eye on Rebellion.
I have been and while I'm looking foward to it, the wait is driving me mad!

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
Great news, i've had the base game since it came out but never got the expansions since they were impulse-only, now I finally get to try them out..and at that price i totally don't mind re-purchasing the base game along with it.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
Huh. I didn't even know that they had sold their service since the last game that I got was the Gal Civs. Sins, as I recall, came out at a bad time. I had bought all the Gal Civs (Partially because of their stance on DRM), downloaded the demo for Sins but just never got around to it. It's a pity about Impulse but I suppose it was inevitable.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
Sucal said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Duskflamer said:
I've heard good things about this series, should I get this game?
Think Homeworld mixed with Hegemonia, and then up the scale to nearly a hundred ships.
Only a hundred? What type of small scale game were you playing?

I once had over a hundred scout ships alone, let alone my brief phrase as an LRM spammer.

Waaghpowa said:
......a Space RTS? Why are there so many games coming out at the same time that I want?!
Its already out, its been out for years and now its cheaper then ever. 15 dollars for the greatest large scale space RTS on the market, is well worth it.
Have you already tried the Distant Stars mod? I once had 1000 ships in a fleet, 13 capitals, and that was just the scout fleet. The motherfucking Armada (my super duper fleet) had 2400 ships and 21 capitals. Thank God for my great PC. The scout fleet was half lost to a black hole though.

Finally an excuse to get rid of Impulse. I was getting sick of having it just to download the updates.

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
oh, I was playing that just now. Kicking other races out of their own systems, then building a massive cannon in the biggest system left is fun.

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
JamesStone said:
Personally I prefer the sins of a fallen mod, or maelstrom, for all the fun new toys that they give you to play with.