Sirlin Takes a Crack at WoW on Gamasutra

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
Original Comment by: Patman

"They (generally, and probably rightly) feel that you ought to code against exploits, not merely make rules -- because they regard undesirable exploits of that magnitude as bugs, and feel that bugs should be fixed.

There's many reasons why this isn't always immediately practical, but I do have to admit that some of the examples that Dave cited in his article are cases where code probably should have followed up the ToS with a more permanent fix. The classic examples in (countless) other games are line of sight issues."

If you think it's the case that players are so very concerned about having exploits fixed immediately, you should get to know the WoW community a little. Tales of a certain class' ability which was used by a player to kill the boss, Lord Kazzak (who was mentioned in the article), still thrive. As do tales of how the ability was changed to prevent doing that within 24 hours. In fact, ask around enough, and you'll be told something along the lines of "If you want a bug fixed, find a way to use it to your advantage. It will be hotfixed within 24 hours."

I think it's also worth bringing up the example of another undesirable method of interacting with Lord Kazzak. This involved the ability to get Kazzak to follow a player all over the continent he first spawns on, which includes 3 of the 6 major cities in the game, wreaking quite a bit of havoc, and most certainly ruining plenty of peoples' playing experience when he killed their characters over and over again. I think pretty much everyone can agree that this is wholly undesirable from the developers' perspective, and that they were within their rights to do something about it. This is now prevented prevented by a hardcoded solution, not the Terms of Service.

So we can see quite clearly that Blizzard does NOT rely on their Terms of Service as their first line of defense when something unintended and detrimental happens within WoW. Now, maybe I'm incorrect, but I'm pretty sure that this renders about a third of the article-in-question's complaints essentially void.

Of course, I suppose a nitpicker (or David Sirlin) could say "Why they don't just alter their design and code so you can't do these things is beyond me." Well, Mr. Sirlin, if you provide me with a list of every possible bug, exploit, and undesirable or harmful method of interacting with the world of WoW, as well as how to hardcode them without requiring a massive rewrite of the majority of the game code, and a similar list for every future patch, I'll be happy to admit that Blizzard should be doing better.

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
Original Comment by: Patman

As an addendum to my previous ramblings, I would like to call attention to something I feel is rather significant.

"Evolution: Fighting Game Championnship" (http://www.evo2k.com) - one of the largest most-established and respected, organized fighting game tournaments (of multiple games) has a rather long listing of fighting-game-specific rules. Under Street Fighter III: Third Strike, there is a rule stating:
"# Gill is not allowed in tournament play"

So, here we have a tournament, icluding a rule in what is essentially their Terms of Service (http://www.evo2k.com/rules.php#match), a rule banning players fro doing something they can clearly do in the game. Why they don't just alter the design code so you can't do that is beyond me. Wait, no it isn't.

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
Original Comment by: Pat M.

Gill isn't allowed in tournament play because he's not playable in the arcades, and the arcade game is the competitive standard in both US and Japanese tournaments.

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
Original Comment by: Andy
http://www.andrewtjs.com
Patrick, I'd like to read your posts, but you need to be more succinct for me to want to read past even your first fallacy. ;)

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
Original Comment by: Tareq A.Samra --Infoseeker
http://SSguild.org
MMORPGs or any game are NOT plays. Where the play-writer creates his story and allows the director to perceive how it displays.

We are meant to get a feel for the creator's imagination and world he worked so hard to show us. And then following some lore for Character (NPC) development (although WoW puts alot of work into it's lore).

In World of Warcraft's philosophy the lore is symbiotically related to the endless quest system. Where you venture on hearing of epic history while helping the world with it's more present applications (in relation to that event). Their view for single play is for people to go through these stories with their avatars (whom are designed to deem fit for the world; I'm sorry if you imagined gnomes to look like lepricons; or highly believe they should be portrayed as so) then needing little relations to get into 5-man parties in some parts.

While many stories chain-up, leading to raids, they can be walked around and continue along another path.

You are to grow connected to your character's achievements in the world. And the world rewards you via reputations; and unlockables through so.

The single-player content is some remarkably done for interverts, that if you join a server of WoW with a friend you will most defintley never catch time to interact with him since rarely do you have to wait for events to occur.

You progress, you achieve and you work. Blizzard's game is made as your avatar's world to play with some playdough; throwing away bits of it you don't like, but not for you to change the very texture of that dough into gel. Just as my guild's raid-schedule is made for further achievements, although it can't ever seem to revolve around me and my own. >_