Six New Pokemon Sun and Moon Creatures Detailed

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Six New Pokemon Sun and Moon Creatures Detailed

A lei, a coward, and a cosplayer walk into a bar...

Six new Pokemon from Pokemon Sun and Moon were shown off in a YouTube video posted today, and they include a coward, a lei, and an adorable cosplayer. You can check out details on them, per an accompanying press release, below:

Wimpod (Bug/Water type) is the Turn Tail Pokemon. This Pokemon is a cowardly scavenger that eats or stores anything that's been dropped in the sea meaning it is highly valued across the Alola region as a cleaner of the sea. Wimpod has the new Ability Wimp Out which causes this Pokemon to run away or swap out for another Pokemon when its HP drops below half in battle.

Bounsweet (Grass type) is the Fruit Pokemon which gives off a delicious aroma. This aroma has a calming effect on humans, so many people across Alola let them live inside their homes as an air freshener.

The Posey Picker Pokemon Comfey (Fairy type) picks flowers which it carries around with it. Comfey uses its soothing aroma to help treat people and Pokemon at Pokemon Centers and hospitals.

Mudslade (Ground type) is the Draft Horse Pokemon with incredible power and stamina. Its legs are coated in a protective mud and its kick can destroy a car in a single blow. Mudslade has the Ability Stamina, a new Ability which raises a Pokemon's Defense by one when hit by an attack.

Bewear (Normal/Fighting type) is the Strong Arm Pokemon that must never be approached carelessly. With its strong and highly developed arms and legs, Bewear loves to give crushing bear hugs that will split anything in two.

As the Disguised Pokemon, Mimikyu (Ghost/Fairy Type) lives its life constantly covered by its cloth. Mimikyu's Disguise Ability allows it to escape danger from an enemy's attack once, then its appearance changes.

[gallery=6346]

Also announced is the Hyper Training function, which allows Pokemon that have hit Lv. 100 to increase individual strengths. From the press release: "Hyper Training is done by Mr. Hyper, a new character who can be found somewhere in the Alola region. By using Bottle Caps, a new item obtainable in Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon, players will be able to carry out Hyper Training on their Pokemon. The Mythical Pokemon Magearna, planned for distribution in Europe later, will be distributed with a Bottle Cap held item."

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I'm not very enthused about really any of the new Pokemon designs so far. I wish I could see what the starters evolve into already.

I like the idea of another horse Pokemon, but I wish they'd gone with a kelpie or a hippocampus to act as a true counter to Ponyta, rather than this muddy clydesdale.

As for Mimikyu, talk about easiest cosplay ever. Though I wish they hadn't picked Pikachu because of the existence of pikaclones and now it feels like there's two this generation. There are other very beloved Pokemon. Mew, ditto or zorua would have been cute, because you'd end up with a Pokemon mimicking one known for mimicking.

Shadowsetzer

Jul 15, 2010
Eclipse Dragon said:
I'm not very enthused about really any of the new Pokemon designs so far. I wish I could see what the starters evolve into already.
Same here. I usually pick the water starters, but I might skip it this time just because it looks like a trained seal that escaped from a circus. I'd like to see if it gets better as it evolves...

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
goddamnit they actually added a lei pokemon.

I like the bear though. he looks cute enough.

Also, bottlecaps as currency eh? Is this foreshadowing to the greatest videogame crossover?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I'm perfectly fine with Trubbish, Klefki, and most of Gen 4's Pok?mon being the worst. You really don't need to try to upstage them in terribleness.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Alright so we have a wimpy fish, a berry Pokemon I'm fairly sure there is already one of and it looks very similar but I've been out of the loop, a fashion accessory, a horse with a color scheme we've seen so often that I want to punch whoever thought they need to keep using it, Monomi that sat in a bucket of black paint, and... one I actually really like the design of. The shadow helps make it look wrong.

So how long until Gamefreak actually does run out of ideas and we get a paper plate or frisbee?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Alright so we have a wimpy fish, a berry Pokemon I'm fairly sure there is already one of and it looks very similar but I've been out of the loop, a fashion accessory, a horse with a color scheme we've seen so often that I want to punch whoever thought they need to keep using it, Monomi that sat in a bucket of black paint, and... one I actually really like the design of. The shadow helps make it look wrong.

So how long until Gamefreak actually does run out of ideas and we get a paper plate or frisbee?
It doesn't look like Cherrim, but it does look like Hoppip.

Of course, what it's actually supposed to be is a lychee fruit, which was brought from China and grows in large quantities in Hawaii.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Eh, I like the berry and the little bottomfeeder thing. The mimic looks cool too, it just doesn't look like a pokemon really. It doesn't seem to fit stylistically with the rest. Maybe it'll get an evolution that offsets this.

But the bear and the lei look lazy as hell. The bear's design is just so utterly plain. There's nothing particularly interesting about it. The lei I feel isn't a bad idea, but that execution isn't great. It just feels too... on-the-nose, maybe? Contrived? I don't know.

The horse design isn't awful, but it could use some tweaking. Those dread lock things, for instance, look a little awkward. It also looks like it's up for a bit of jazz-ercise.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
LegendaryGamer0 said:
2 gens tops. Considering thatt here's a pokemon already that's just a set of keys.

Honestly, this will probably the first gen where I hardly will find pokemon designs to like. Which is something since I'm personally not too fond of gen 1.

Verrik

Sep 28, 2012
I actually like all these new designs to varying degrees, there are many varieties. Some are cute, some look cool, and some are ugly, but they're supposed to look that way. Mudsdale is definitely in my top 5 of favorite new Pokemon designs so far, always wanted a Clydesdale in Pokemon. Bewear (haha, love that name) reminds me of that one polar bear character from "We Bare Bears" with that blank expression on its face (as it hugs a tree trunk in two :p). The Pokedex entries for a lot of these Pokemon are also, just amazing. I especially like all the new abilities that have been shown.

As long as we don't get another Pokemon with the same level of creativity as Electrode, I'm fine.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Kibeth41 said:
Poetic Nova said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
2 gens tops. Considering thatt here's a pokemon already that's just a set of keys.

Honestly, this will probably the first gen where I hardly will find pokemon designs to like. Which is something since I'm personally not too fond of gen 1.
Implying that Gen 1 didn't feature a Pokemon that's just a bunch of eggs. Pokemon designs have never really been at the pinnacle of creativity.
Every gen has its rotten apples, so to speak. So i'm not holding that against the new Pokemon. However, I do think the designs are lacking something, although I cannot put my finger on it.

Kibeth41 said:
Pokemon nowadays are based on the regions that they're from, similar to real life. Look at the various types of birds for example, and how they're all specific to each region (Taillow to Hoenn, Pidgey to Johto/Kanto, Pidove to Unova etc). It stops them from running out of material.

I mean, we always know that each new generation will feature at least:
-A Pikachu clone
-A bug family
-A bird family
-A rodent family
-Common fish

^ That's about 12 or so Pokemon right there, and it seems that we're only seeing about 80 or so new Pokemon in each generation.

It's subjective that you dislike the new Pokemon designs, but I think they've got a good number of years left before they run out of ideas.
Would be nice if they would cut down on pokemon designs based on common household objects however. (to be fair, this is a point I cant criticise this gen for, atleats not right now)
But as I said, every gen has its designs that make me go 'wtf', Trubbish being a prime example.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Correction: people are telling me it's a mangosteen.

In retrospect, mangosteens are kinda cute.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Shadowsetzer said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
Same here. I usually pick the water starters, but I might skip it this time just because it looks like a trained seal that escaped from a circus. I'd like to see if it gets better as it evolves...
I thought Oshawatt looked derp as fuck but it ended up being a badass samurai walrus thing. There is hope yet!

Verrik

Sep 28, 2012
Wings012 said:
Shadowsetzer said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
I thought Oshawatt looked derp as fuck but it ended up being a badass samurai walrus thing. There is hope yet!
The main reason I didn't like Samourott (sp?) is because, it was such a drastic change. Oshawott and Dewott go from otters that stand on 2 legs, to a sea lion on 4 legs. I mean, it's based off a SAMURAI. It being on 2 legs in its final evo would have made that theme come across a lot better.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
I'm gonna go against the grain and say I love all of these. I think they are pretty unique while looking like something else in real life.

A horseshoe crab (whimpod), a lychee berry which are grown in Hawaii and are a favorite in Japan (Boundsweet), a lei which is probably too on the nose but whatever (Comfey), a Clidesdale horse and honestly the only other Pokemon aside from one other and its evolve form (Mudsale), a red panda which a penny name (Beware) and a ghost hiding in a cloth which isn't unique anymore but I'll give it credit for trying to look like another Pokemon (Mimikyu).
I love all of the designs so far to be very honest even Bruxish the triggerfish.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
weirdee said:
Correction: people are telling me it's a mangosteen.

In retrospect, mangosteens are kinda cute.
Oh boo. I love Lychees. I'm actually kinda disappointed now to not see my favorite fruit as a Pokemon.