Six Tips on Crushing Your Enemies in Civilization V

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005

Here are some tips for how to destroy your foes and crush them under your heel.

Read Full Article

Bullfrog1983

Dec 3, 2008
I found warfare in Civ V to be incredibly easy and simplistic to be honest. All of these "tactics" are just ones that came from Civ IV.

Draithx

Jul 8, 2009
The only real tactic I really needed was to rush Liberty and Order policies to reduce unhappiness from cities. Just get a lot of cities and get around 3-4 maritime city state allies to get enough food for all cities and build trading posts on all squares.

The only bad part about this strategy is that the game just becomes too easy on everything except highest difficulty.

Xeorm

Apr 13, 2010
Now if only the computer would use some strategy. Maybe then it'd be a decent game

seekeroftruth86

Nov 20, 2010
Great tips, a bit elementary perhaps, but still good.

Nobody's gonna win any games without these tactics under their belt.

Oh, and the lamentations of my enemy's women during sieges is oh-so-satisfying. Love this game!

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
All I have to say about all those tips, except from that naval one:

Well, duh! Those are basics of the basics :p

Still, an entertaining to read article, well done.

Duruznik

Aug 16, 2009
These tactics seem a bit... elementary? I dunno, maybe it's just me, but they seem kinda obvious ('cept for the naval one. Navies are useful in some situations, less so in others).

Knaledge

Nov 8, 2006
What did I do to stop earning experience from Barbarian kills? I want to say it was a policy I adopted.

During one session, no matter how many Barbarians I killed or how many times I was hit by them, I gained no experience but gained gold from capturing their outposts. This made Barbarians being turned "ON" no fun.

Anyone know what I did?

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
In Civ4 I used the ancient Russian tactic of "Throw so much meat at the grinder that the gears break." It works.

Atros81

Oct 26, 2010
Knaledge said:
What did I do to stop earning experience from Barbarian kills? I want to say it was a policy I adopted.

During one session, no matter how many Barbarians I killed or how many times I was hit by them, I gained no experience but gained gold from capturing their outposts. This made Barbarians being turned "ON" no fun.

Anyone know what I did?
You can only get a certain amount of experience killing barbarians. I don't know the exact number, but generally only enough to promote them twice.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Knaledge said:

Anyone know what I did?
At some point, mechanized infantry stop gaining experience from slaughtering tribesmen. I'm fairly certain riflemen barbs were still granting my infantry experience.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Yeah, as has been said this is pretty damn straight forward stuff :/ More important is how you balance building improvements, wonders and army - it's easy to keep pushing for culture and then realise you've only got two military units to beat off the French legions, or to fight with an ally only for the AI to decide that your recent victories somehow make you a threat, causing them to declare on you without any warning or logic.

Where and when to build cities, how many to build, resource priority, conquer or make puppet, which policies to adopt, when to adopt policies - all these things are more important and less obvious than 'shoot them, then charge' or 'horses move quickly, but don't run into walls of spikes'. I think this article was aimed significantly beneath the reader base...

hobo_welf

Aug 15, 2008
It would be nice to go to a gaming website that gave you tips for games that weren't so retardedly basic. If you guys made a column on here that was about advanced video game tactics, I might take it more seriously than these tips, which can be found in the instruction manual for Civ 5, and have been in play (with the exception of the navy pointer) since Civ 4 was around, and some of them since basically forever.

Thank you Andy Chalk/Captain Obvious.

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
Atros81 said:
Knaledge said:

Anyone know what I did?
You can only get a certain amount of experience killing barbarians. I don't know the exact number, but generally only enough to promote them twice.
Correct, Barbarians only provide experience to where your unit can promote twice. I never really looked at the exact levels to see how they are numbered, but I'll assume any unit of level 3 or above receives no experience from Barbarians.

Want to level a unit up even while not fighting another civ? Declare war on a nearby city-state that you don't care for and sit a single unit with it's bombard radius. All units gain a little xp when they are attacked from range, so as long as you are at war with the city-state and your unit is "Fortifying until Healed", it will gain xp each turn. This is AWESOMELY powerful for training up a super powerful navy, though it takes a significant amount of time. Note that naval units do not quickly get an ability to heal while fortified, so you'll probably just bombard and get hit and have to retreat (or replace with another unit that you are leveling) to your own territory (or anyone you have Open Borders with) to heal back up. Get one ship up to Supply so that it and the ships around it can Fortify until Healed and you can finally sit still without worrying about being destroyed.

With enough micro-managing, having 4 battleships with +1 range on their shots will allow you to take over naval cities with just a single land unit and virtually no waiting to move onto the next city.

My general strategy is to be very defensive with a weak army. The powerful guys will either attack (usually with another for good measure) since my army is so pitiful, but I will have every already stationed to demolish any of their attacks. It is necessary for me to be filthy rich to pull it off, but I keep a weak unit (siege weapons preferred) stationed in each city. Once they attack, I upgrade them to whatever is top of the line. As their units move into my territory, they are blown to hell by the cities+siege weapons. About 2/3 of their entire might is dedicated to attacking me, and once their major attacks have finished, their army is very weak. Perfect time to break out any land units and go grab a quick city from them.

jabering

Sep 20, 2010
Still no hotseat i civ 5, tll then i still play civ 4 with my frineds. i do realize that this has nothing to do with strategy, still upset about it though.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Domincation is the hardest victory to get with a lot of players.

However, culture is relatively easy if you know what your doing.

My suggestion is that you stick to one city if you can (depending on weather or not you got good resources/hills around you). You will only able to make one thing at a time, so anything you can do to maximize production is a must. Get tradition and play as somebody who doesn't have military or amount of city related benifits (India or Egypt are very good in these respects). Use your money to just by stuff you need if you can or buy the favor of City States who give you free culture, science, goods, and units.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Having a strong cavalry force is probably the most important thing you can do with your military. Early horsemen are very, very strong and, with how easy it is to find horses in the early game, you should be able to absolutely destroy things. Anything.

You can win Deity with just horses. On a large map.

Supp

Nov 17, 2009
I think you forgot the most important part of warfare.

Step 1: Rush horsemen. If this fails, get more horsemen.

Step 2: Upgrade them to knights later.

Seriously, until the patch comes out, horsemen and maritime city states are the two most broken things in the game.

Lopunny

Apr 15, 2009
I know its not particulary on topic, but I've never found any modern CIV games as fun as Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri :)

BritishWeather

Mar 22, 2010
Greg Tito said:

Here are some tips for how to destroy your foes and crush them under your heel.

Read Full Article
The British empire was bigger than the mongol empire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_empires

Yours,

Britfag

Good Article anyhow.