Skate 2 - Official thread

mintsauce

Aug 18, 2008
So, the demo came out yesterday. Any thoughts?

Personally, I wasn't disappointed at all, even if it was a little short. The fisheye lens is a little intrusive, hopefully it can be turned off. Apart from that, it's everything I hoped it would be. Still feels great just to roll around trying things out.

Can't wait till the 23rd!

Novajam

Apr 26, 2008
I liked the first a lot, and I'm looking forward to the second. If they can keep the same style and flow of gameplay, make a couple of the challenges just a tad easier and not mess up lip tricks, I'll be satisfied.

Also, I didn't know there was a demo out. My 360 picked a great time to crap out; right when all the things I was looking forward to about are coming out.

Fightbulb

May 14, 2008
Skate 2 is probably my most anticipated game for this year, I still play the original a lot with friends, and I can't wait to play the game. I'd have loved to play the demo, but unfortunately my 360 stopped working, but hopefully I'll have it back by the time the full game comes out. Also, from what I've heard the flip tricks are now slower, as is the turning, apparently. Any word on that?

ROFLross

Jan 8, 2009
I'm going to finish downloading it tonight.
I've never played the first one but I've always been into the Tony Hawks games, I suppose the controls are slightly different in this game?

Novajam

Apr 26, 2008
ROFLross said:
I'm going to finish downloading it tonight.
I've never played the first one but I've always been into the Tony Hawks games, I suppose the controls are slightly different in this game?
Very much so. I'd been a long time THPS fan when I picked up Skate, and it blew me right out of the water. I liked the new way of controlling the board and how well it captured skateboarding's "flow", but if you play for too long at a time it can become frustrating.

I wrote up a review [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.73585] three months ago (that swiftly bombed) if anyone's interested.

ROFLross

Jan 8, 2009
Novajam said:
I wrote up a review [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.73585] three months ago (that swiftly bombed) if anyone's interested.
I look'd over your review (laughed at the Rage picture), I'll have to try the Skate2 demo out tonight and see if I really want to buy, if not I'm going to wait for a new Tony Hawks, apparently the user wont be using a controller? Eh.

Psyco Slim

Apr 16, 2008
i hated the demo at first but after playing it a few more more times it grew on me. then i played the Hall of Meat mode (i think thats what its called) i was sold because watching Eric Koston and Atiba Jefferson ragdollize down a hill never gets old.

bmf185

Jan 8, 2009
I love Skate 1. I still play it all the time just to, well, skate (and not give a crap about the objectives). I will probably end up getting Skate 2 just for the fact that I can get off of the board and run up stairs instead of hopelessly running into them and having to find a different way around.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 is the best and always will be. Best skating game EVARR and I would want to see any reason why Skate 2 will be better than a game where you can play as a naked female version of Satan and ride up the ladder of a fire truck. Also, THPS3 had the best damn music in any game ever made.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I started downloading the demo yesterday, then completely forgot and turned the 360 off. Oops.

My main gripe with the first game was that, as a left-hander, I don't like being forced to do the complicated dexterity-tastic bit with my less responsive right hand... this very fact has stopped me being able to complete the game. I'm at a dead stop. If they could patch in an option to switch the thumbsticks, I and many others would be so much happier with it.

chin_strap

Jun 29, 2008
I'm very much looking forward to skate2. Skate captured the creativity of skateboarding beautifully and although it had a few problems here and there, they never got in the way of the fun. A very justified sequel.

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
I finished the demo through a few times, and I have to say, this may actually be worth buying. It is immensely fun, and was tricky to get the hang of, considering I never played skate 1.

Fightbulb

May 14, 2008
popdafoo said:
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 is the best and always will be. Best skating game EVARR and I would want to see any reason why Skate 2 will be better than a game where you can play as a naked female version of Satan and ride up the ladder of a fire truck. Also, THPS3 had the best damn music in any game ever made.
Problem is, the THPS games have fucking nothing to do with skateboarding.

Indigo_Dingo said:
I never played Skate 1, so why is this called the best sports game ever?
Because it emulates the feel of skateboarding up to the point where it almost becomes scary, and actually requires training and finesse to learn how to play correctly. Just the level of detail and the amount of style you can inject into your skater sets this game so far apart from the THPS series, I'd feel embarassed if I worked at Neversoft.

jezz8me

Mar 27, 2008
I love the game but for some reason can not justify paying full price for a sports game so i will probably by Skate when Skate 2 comes out and then Skate 2 when its price drops.

NOTE: This is in Australia where we are ripped off completely. Thank god for my PC needs i have Steam which charges more reasonable prices but for console I will have to shell out for the good games.

out0v0rder

Dec 16, 2008
I think it's hilarous that the first 2 people in this thread excited for the game have broken 360's.

roblikestoskate

Oct 16, 2008
popdafoo said:
chin_strap has it right.

THPS may be great for gamers, but it doesn't serve skateboarders very well. It's fun for what it is, but sadly, the THPS series has never focused on capturing the challenge and reward of actual board control, much less provide a scheme flexible enough for the player to inject style into his skating. Where THPS is spastic and stiff, Skate is fluid and zen. I picked up an old THPS: Proving Ground demo I had lying around and the results were laughable; the experience was so contrived and stiff that I can't go back to it. And don't get me started on the music. The Tony Hawk games had some terrible music and only a handful of songs that might actually reflect skateboarding culture.

Before Skate, the high water mark of skateboarding videogame realism was Thrasher: Skate & Destroy for PlayStation.

Fightbulb

May 14, 2008
Alright then! My Xbox came back repaired yesterday, and I immediately had to check out the Skate 2 demo. The graphics are amazingly sharp compared to the first game, the bailing system is awesome, flips and especially turning is a lot slower, and getting on and off your board is extremely wonky, but hopefully that just takes some getting used to. All in all, I think it'll be a huge success, as long as people can get over the steep learning curve.