skill vs button bashing

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
For the most part I honestly don't care. If that's how you play, then fine. I only get annoyed when I play against a line of incessant attack spammers (and even then not that badly) It's all about having fun. Honestly, I worry less about losing the match and more for the controller that's having the buttons smashed in at 20 inputs a second. My friend does that for Ninja Gaiden and I really worry for my remote, especially because he tends to do that even for attacks that only take 2 or so inputs. It's really quite unnecessary. I realized that I tend to mash somewhat when an attack calls for hitting the same button 6+ times in a row, but only because I don't bother to learn the timing. I don't try hitting it really fast or hard like my life depended on it and the attack still comes out fine.

SsilverR

Feb 26, 2009
chromewarriorXIII said:
Button mashing may work, but if you know the moves then you know how the moves flow together. This means that once you hit the person once, you can use a bunch of moves that flow together and not let them hit at all. That's my theory.
every character reacts differently to button bashing, when you know every characters moves you also know when you can and can't hit them .. so the reason button bashers lose to pro's is because they WILL on many occasions, let loose moves that leave them open to some seriously brutal punishment

and as for the proof ... watch any video of top ranking players or play any tournament to mid levels .. you'll find no button bashers, reason is they never make it that far .. it may work on inexperienced players, but when you're dealing with people that actually know what they're doing, it's a different story

the fake

Jul 14, 2009
i happen to be the jesus christ of SSBB none of my freinds can beat me and there all button mashers.

Chilliman

Mar 7, 2009
How does button mashing come into play in any of these games? Sure, you can button mash, and it MAY be effective, but only against someone who doesn't have any experience in the game. Take brawl for example. A brawl button masher can easily be punished if you've played the game.....5 times? It's not a valid strategy. I have never played street fighter so..ehhhh conflict.

Chilliman

Mar 7, 2009
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
I stand by the statement that a well coordinated played who focuses and times his attacks will excel past somebody randomly mashing buttons.
He worded my post better.

Chilliman

Mar 7, 2009
Nutcase said:
dallan262 said:
right i hear people say button bashings cheap in games such as street fighter IV,tekken, etc. etc

they also says that it means nothing against an experianced player yet i have seen no proof of this

can anyone show me a video of something prooving this as i really want to see if theres really that much of a difference
Just watch any high level tournament video, and if you know the game, you will realize there is absolutely no way a button masher would ever beat those players.

Here's a video for Tekken 6 where even I (not a Tekken player) can tell the players are good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXCPey4NHbU

Anyway, here's why button mashing is cheap and not fun.

Consider two guys - friends - who start playing a fighter together. One of them decides to button mash at random and one of them decides to learn to play. Now, button mashing directly causes two things: the character will be unpredictable, and he will attack all the time. The other player, always trying to do specific things, trying to use the defenses appropriate for the situation, will not initially have the reflexes to do so. He will mess up. Against the aggressive, mashing player he will lose, depending on the game, possibly all of the time. This is frustrating for the good player, and I have a hard time believing the masher can be having all that much fun either. It's not so fun to win every time without trying, whether it's due to circumstances or luck or skill.

Then consider what happens once the latter player has learned enough solid play that he beats the masher. Very soon he will beat the masher almost all the time. The masher can't adapt to this because he, by definition, is not firmly control in his character. If at this point the masher wants to learn the game for real, he'll have to do the same thing the other guy did initially, and his performance will drop just like the other guy's did. Now, the good player will be utterly crushing the bad player until he learns, and again all of this is frustrating to the good player because it's impossible for him to learn to be much better as long as his opponent is bad, and there's no fun in continuously beating someone really weak.

Unfortunately, most buttonmashers probably don't realize their mistake, will quit after their mashing starts losing all the time ("you guys are not fun to play anymore!"), and never learn how much fun there truly is to be had in fighting games.

The moral of the story? The masher screws himself and everyone he plays with out of both fun and skill.
EVEN BETTER

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
In any conventional fighting game a button masher has about a 30% chance of beating a skilled player. An educated button masher has about a 35% chance.

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
Guitarmasterx7 said:
In any conventional fighting game a button masher has about a 30% chance of beating a skilled player. An educated button masher has about a 35% chance.
You mean, in any bad and completely random game? Because that's what it would take for a button masher to have a 35% chance.

I'm thoroughly mediocre in Virtua Fighter, and I'd still bet a buttonmasher 10:1 to beat me. Skilled players, just forget it.