Skull and Bones beta impression; Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Remember how lackluster the Sea of Thieves launch was? There was barely any content in it, and while the social elements were there and you were able to board enemy ships or go explore islands, the gameplay loop was really bare bones. The game has received tons of content updates since then w/o any of the live-service bs. In fact, I consider it as Xbox's No Man's Sky situation.

Welp. it looks like Ubisoft decided to follow through with one of the most infamous characters from one of their characters, because Skull and Bones is EXACTLY like SoT launch, yet in a different way. You probably have read my various posts over at the general gaming news thread, criticizing every aspect of this game whenever there was news. I went in with very little expectations, and within an hour of playthrough I've seen enough. The beta has left me with a lot to say

I will give due credit to where SaB does well; The environment looks great. I think that's something Ubisoft always have done right. As much as I hate the recent AC games, they all have great-looking environments. The Islands, the wreckage, the day and night cycle, it all looks great. The hub area while shallow, seems to have lots of details going on too. And with the world so big, if you dedicate to the game you'll probably have hours of exploring the Indian Ocean.

And the soundtracks are amazing as well, especially the sea shanties that your crew sings.

The Ship-to-ship combat can be fun, but I don't think it's on the level of AC4. I'm pretty sure AC4 didn't have this bloated experience when it comes to arming your ship. Like, it gives you plenty of weapons to play around with, but it's like going to a cheap buffet to try various foods vs fine dining.

Now for the negative; When you launch the beta for the first time (at least on pc), you'll get a message regarding how BattleEye (anti-cheat software) will be collecting some data from you. I appreciate the honesty and I can see why this is necessary for an online game, but man reading that made me uncomfortable.

The story is shallow. But this is nothing new for a Ubisoft game.

Because there is no on-foot combat, boarding enemy ship is a simple action; you damage it enopugh, press a button, then the game auto-loots the ship. I seriously think this was a huge misstep. I mean FFS. even Sea of Thieves got this right at launch.

The open seas and islands, while beautiful, have barely anything to do. You have your typical resource-gathering, fort battle (which btw is no where near fun as the ones in AC4), and treasures to find, but it's a very typical live-service experience.

There is in fact, on-foot exploration and you can get off your ship, but it's done via loading screen. So unlike AC4 where that was done seemlessly, I think here there are separate assets. Also, there's barely anything to do on-foot. There will be some scenario-specific moments, but for the most of the time on-foot areas serves as a social hub or quest turn-ins.

In fact. everything seems to have a loading screen; talking to merchants, upgrading your ship, entering and exiting cutscenes, etc. Everything feels slow, disconnected, and tedious

Ubisoft continues to have its trend of having one of the most laziest character creator I've ever seen. For male character, you are forced to have a beard (I didn't see the option for the clean shave), and the texture on the facial hair looks sloppy. So you are forced to look at your ugly-ass character during cutscenes or when you're on-foot. And of course they had to make your character silent protagonist, with barely any dlaog choices to let you fully immerse yourself in the character.

As they prmoised, the live-service stuff is just for the cosmetics, but the first problem is they made sure to have all non-premium stuff look ugly whilekeeping all the cool-loking stuff behind the paywall. They argue it is none-gameplay affecting, but isn't customizing yourself in-game part of the experience? I honestly would've taken Siege/For Honor style of monetization for this. Or even the new AC games' Helix Credit shop.

Overall, don't waste your time on this game like I did. Let it fail just like bunch of other live-service games.

Even better, go play the actual AC4, and not this trash

Last edited:

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I lost all interest in this game when I found out it was a multiplayer game. Why am I not surprised its a live service too? Hard pass.

I would just like a good single player pirate game that doesn't have Assassins Creed attached to it. Or a Skies of Arcadia remaster.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I've grown somewhat irritated by the definition of insanity due to about every single pundit using the clip when talking about corporate mistakes and thinking they were clever. Now it just gets on my nerves.

Its honestly a really big shame. A pirate game in the Indian Ocean sounds more unique than the common Caribbean one, and the setting also has room for the very interest Dutch East India Trading company to appear as a villain. A bigger, better Black Flag in the setting would have been great but Ubisoft decided to torpedo the idea through the Live Service disease.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I've grown somewhat irritated by the definition of insanity due to about every single pundit using the clip when talking about corporate mistakes and thinking they were clever. Now it just gets on my nerves
And before that plenty of gamers were already using it before FC3 even released. I know I'm guilty of this myself, but I mostly used it sparingly. As you all seen, even I got bored of it.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Reactions: BrawlMan

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I saw this game being panned for being 70 bucks and someone claiming it was because it was quadruple A.

I've been playing persona 3 reload, that's also 70 bucks, but somehow nobody needed to make that excuse there, and the game I don't think even qualifies as triple A budget-wise, yet somehow there's been no negativity about it at all. I wonder why.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That stupid Skull and Bones ad with Michelle Rodriguez keeps showing up. I like the actress, but I am tired of seeing the commercial when not using ad-block, or if watching YouTube on my PS5. I refuse to pay for YouTube Premium.

Last edited:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
That stupid Skull and Bones with Michelle Rodriguez keeps showing up. I like the actress, but I am tired of seeing the commercial when not using ad-block, or if watching YouTube on my PS5. I refuse to pay for YouTube Premium.
Yeah, I am getting that ad too on my end. Kinda feels like Ubisoft in particular goes harder with their marketing stuff compared to other publishers

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Turns out Quadruple-A actually means lazy and cheap. Good to know.
You mean I woke up this morning for nothing?

Nah...I had to go to work anyway and I actually didn't really care about it beyond wondering if it would ever come out. I lost interest in this game years ago.

Reactions: BrawlMan