Skull and Bones beta impression; Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So tragic. People just wanted a bigger better Black Flag. They could have made that instead. People just wanted a new Arkam game. They could have made that instead.
Considering it was apparently supposed to be Black Flag with the AC stuff stripped out you'd think it would have been easy. Somehow this whole thing turned until a decade long debacle because Ubisoft couldn't even do that right.

We can only hope that Skull and Bones crashes and burns so hard that nobody ever wants to touch that "quadruple A" label again just to avoid being tainted by association.
This raises the question how much it cost ubisoft to make Skull and Bones with a decade dev hell period and how much they could possibly hope to recoup.

Also, not that I have any hope for Beyond Good and Evil 2 at this point, but I doubt that will be any better if they ever manage to release that either.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
This raises the question how much it cost ubisoft to make Skull and Bones with a decade dev hell period and how much they could possibly hope to recoup.
From what I heard it being made in Singapore and several deals in place there made development relatively cheap but in exchange for Ubisoft being contractually obligated to release the game.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Considering it was apparently supposed to be Black Flag with the AC stuff stripped out you'd think it would have been easy. Somehow this whole thing turned until a decade long debacle because Ubisoft couldn't even do that right.

Well it kinda basically is black flag with all the AC gone. Is just it ain't so fun when wrapped around a live-service model without even the simple flawed joy of doing the swashbuckling stabbies yourself. And as far as am aware, the money was already sorted. By the Singapore government. Lol.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I've grown somewhat irritated by the definition of insanity due to about every single pundit using the clip when talking about corporate mistakes and thinking they were clever. Now it just gets on my nerves.
Same. It's not even true as there are plenty of situations where the same actions may produce different results.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
To be fair, the moment I learned the game was MP focused I lost interest beyond the drama of it's decade in dev hell. That being said, the fact the game is apparently bland as shit and has a FUCKING STAMINA METER for a boat makes me glad I had no interest in playing this.

I was gonna write a rant about Ubisoft being useless but I decided to go with something more succinct.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
To be fair, the moment I learned the game was MP focused I lost interest beyond the drama of it's decade in dev hell. That being said, the fact the game is apparently bland as shit and has a FUCKING STAMINA METER for a boat makes me glad I had no interest in playing this.

I was gonna write a rant about Ubisoft being useless but I decided to go with something more succinct.

It's honestly really fascinating. Like the Ubisoft CEO even straight up lied about the scope of the game which I feel like hasn't happened in a while. Not since Colonial Marines really. Unfortunately, I don't think there's enough ammunition to start a class action or anything. It's technically a finished game.

I would like to believe that general gamer trust has waned on Ubisoft, but this is adult gamers who actually follow coverage of dumpster fires like Far Cry 6 and whatever that Assassins' creed game was that was a hot mess. Ubisoft is weirdly notorious both for putting out hot messes and bangers. Sometimes within the span of the same year.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
It's honestly really fascinating. Like the Ubisoft CEO even straight up lied about the scope of the game which I feel like hasn't happened in a while. Not since Colonial Marines really. Unfortunately, I don't think there's enough ammunition to start a class action or anything. It's technically a finished game.

I would like to believe that general gamer trust has waned on Ubisoft, but this is adult gamers who actually follow coverage of dumpster fires like Far Cry 6 and whatever that Assassins' creed game was that was a hot mess. Ubisoft is weirdly notorious both for putting out hot messes and bangers. Sometimes within the span of the same year.
I love this game. Love love love it. "Fascinating" is the right word my man. How can a game by this shit? And it's not "shit" in that it doesn't work- it does the thing it does! But the context of it, that absolutely nadir of mediocrity, the marketing and reception of it, the legacy of Black Flag, the executive talking point bullshit- it's amazing.
If Ubisoft didn't also have a culture of worker abuse and misogyny they'd be adorable, like this big lumbering oaf of a company. I'm absolutely enthralled by this game I wouldn't play if you paid me.