Skynet Needs a Reboot

Aaron Williams

Mar 22, 2011
Skynet Needs a Reboot

Why the upcoming reboot of The Terminator franchise won't reflect current technology.

Read Full Article

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Who cares about r/gaming, it's mostly rubbish and spam anyway. Now, if they took down r/games, then that might be cause for concern...

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
The Amazon panel finally got half of a smile out of me at least; lots of stuff gets better the longer the creators do it so maybe it will be the case here too.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Norix596 said:
The Amazon panel finally got half of a smile out of me at least; lots of stuff gets better the longer the creators do it so maybe it will be the case here too.
I just hope they'll realize that putting huge dialogue boxes in a comic isn't exactly good comic-writing. Come on guys, it's a largely visual medium. Your art style is nice enough, do make use of that a little more. More unwritten dialogue and storytelling as it were.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
Norix596 said:
I just hope they'll realize that putting huge dialogue boxes in a comic isn't exactly good comic-writing. Come on guys, it's a largely visual medium. Your art style is nice enough, do make use of that a little more. More unwritten dialogue and storytelling as it were.
I don't think the sheer amount of text is the problem but pacing that's the issue - the problem was most clear to me with the strip about the Captain America cosplay - they have the joke setup about his body type being stocky and the observation about the Rob Liefeld's absurd character design actually being appropriate for his body type then the last panel's picture is the punchline of him in the enormous suit - but then it dragged out after that with like three paragraphs of side commentary about the punch line in multiple speech bubbles which just kind of kneecaps their own punchline.

LiMaSaRe

Mar 6, 2012
Norix596 said:
The first Full Frontal Nerdity was posted November 29 2001...
It's only new to the Escapist.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
LiMaSaRe said:
Norix596 said:
The first Full Frontal Nerdity was posted November 29 2001...
It's only new to the Escapist.
Oh, well NEVERMIND then haha.

And Man

May 12, 2014
I got a kick out of "Amazon Prime".

Norix596 said:
I don't think the sheer amount of text is the problem but pacing that's the issue - the problem was most clear to me with the strip about the Captain America cosplay - they have the joke setup about his body type being stocky and the observation about the Rob Liefeld's absurd character design actually being appropriate for his body type then the last panel's picture is the punchline of him in the enormous suit - but then it dragged out after that with like three paragraphs of side commentary about the punch line in multiple speech bubbles which just kind of kneecaps their own punchline.
That joke definitely went on too long. It should have stopped after the U-Haul joke at the latest.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Sad... sad but true

And if you guys aren't familiar with Aaron's style, you're going to be highly disappointed.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I always get the impression with these that you have one good idea, and in your excitement to use that idea, you don't care to develop it, execute it or time it properly so that comedy might result from it.

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
Brevity is the soul of wit guys, reducing the amount of text (and size of boxes to contain said text) would really help. Either that or spread the text out further if you can't cut it, which would require more cartoons to be drawn.

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
You wanna know something really scary? Skynet is already handling your 401k.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithmic_trading

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Apparently 3rd time is not the charm.

I think these guys need to look at the Critical Miss stuff, and a personal favorite, Three Panel Soul. Even when 3PS gets dialogue heavy, it's still less text than one panel of FFN.

C'mon, you guys have been doing this for over 10 years?! You fucking me? Why are you making comics like amateurs? Bah, waste of time.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
The way to get around the pacing of today's strip is to think of it as a set of 3 1-panel comics telling their own jokes about the same topic.

And if Skynet destroyed Tumblr, I think that would win us over to its side.

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
I still like it. Sometimes comics are wordy. Sometimes they work like that. If you want brevity in your comics go read something else, and allow those of us that like wordy comics too to enjoy this.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I know that if I don't have something nice to say I shouldn't say anything at all but... Christ...

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
After a few quite good comics, Williams has fallen back into the trap of the first couple of strips of having waaaay too much text.

Comics should be a visual medium. When half of each panel is covered with text, you're doing it wrong

justmyopinion

Apr 4, 2015
nearly every comment on every comic:

DeRp! ToO MaNy WerDs. BrAiN cAn'T pRoceSs. Me nO liKe!

My answer remains:
STFU and go away, quit reading the comic and posting the same stupid comments over and over.
my god ya'all are the textbook definition of willfull stupidity.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
justmyopinion said:
Alfador_VII said:
After a few quite good comics, Williams has fallen back into the trap of the first couple of strips of having waaaay too much text.

Comics should be a visual medium. When half of each panel is covered with text, you're doing it wrong
wake the F*** up. There is no set definition that a comic has to have a limited amount of words. that is so f***ing ignorant my brain hurts
Easy Tiger, it's just my opinion. If you like it, keep reading it, but I won't be, and I'm just offering my reasons for not doing so