Skyrim 1.2: Did They Stealth-nerf The Steed Stone?

trouble_gum

May 8, 2011
So, I was shouting at dragons this morning and I noticed I seemed to be carrying a lot more than I thought I was. "Huh," I thought, "I must've picked up more stuff in that last barrow than I thought I had," and wandered off back to Whiterun to sell Warmaiden's, Belethor and Eorlund a tonne of stuff.

Imagine my dismay and confusion upon prodding my inventory to see what fell out and finding there wasn't actually that much stuff to sell. Further poking and prodding led me checking if, somehow, I'd managed to pick up another stone effect. Lo, I dist see that the Steed Stone listing in my Active Effects told me: "Carry weight +100, and no movement penalty from armor." Disbelievingly, I checked this out by dropping my equipped dragonplate boots onto the floor. Yup, that decreased my carried weight. What the hell?

So; fellow Skyrim Escapists, have you noticed this too?

Is this a nasty little glitch that can be fixed? Google suggests it's either not or it's a new one.

Or was this a sneaky gameplay change from Bethesda that didn't make the patch notes?

:cripes: I don't want to have to waste two perk points on Fists of Steel and Cushioned to get Conditioning.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
trouble_gum said:
So, I was shouting at dragons this morning and I noticed I seemed to be carrying a lot more than I thought I was. "Huh," I thought, "I must've picked up more stuff in that last barrow than I thought I had," and wandered off back to Whiterun to sell Warmaiden's, Belethor and Eorlund a tonne of stuff.

Imagine my dismay and confusion upon prodding my inventory to see what fell out and finding there wasn't actually that much stuff to sell. Further poking and prodding led me checking if, somehow, I'd managed to pick up another stone effect. Lo, I dist see that the Steed Stone listing in my Active Effects told me: "Carry weight +100, and no movement penalty from armor." Disbelievingly, I checked this out by dropping my equipped dragonplate boots onto the floor. Yup, that decreased my carried weight. What the hell?

So; fellow Skyrim Escapists, have you noticed this too?

Is this a nasty little glitch that can be fixed? Google suggests it's either not or it's a new one.

Or was this a sneaky gameplay change from Bethesda that didn't make the patch notes?

:cripes: I don't want to have to waste two perk points on Fists of Steel and Cushioned to get Conditioning.
I have not found the Steed Stone yet, but I'll be looking for it now.

Unless it replaces the Lord Stone. Because that damage/magic resistance is BAWS. I have a minion for a mule, so weight isn't as big of an issue as being roasted/frozen/stabbed/etc to death.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
King of the Sandbox said:

Unless it replaces the Lord Stone. Because that damage/magic resistance is BAWS. I have a minion for a mule, so weight isn't as big of an issue as being roasted/frozen/stabbed/etc to death.
I prefer the Aronach, damage resist is pointless when you've hit the armour cap (567 for a maximum of 80% damage resistance) and magic resistance keeps getting nerfed (whether or not it should cover elemental damage seems to be an issue). Whereas 50% spell asborb is fantastic, works on both elemental and regular spells. I'm a Warrior and I'm solely using it for that.

trouble_gum

May 8, 2011

So far as I know, no replace on the Lord Stone (still there in my Skyrim).

I'm an inveterate packrat. So a carry bonus + free level 70 in heavy armour perk to shave off a good 80+ pounds of weight was a sweet deal. If it -is- an official change to gameplay, it's a dumb one, in my opinion. Whilst I can see the argument; The Steed Stone effectively makes Conditioning a null-choice as a perk expenditure, it's not as if this comes at no cost. You sacrifice other, potentially much better, Stone effects in order to pay for your desire to carry your home in your pockets. Plus the pre-req perks for Conditioning are tripe. Bonus to unarmed? Falling damage decreased? Sure, it's fun to take Fists of Steel and punch things to death...but it's still a pretty useless pair of perks to be saddled with.

I don't mind perk trees where earlier perks are useful and become obsolete as you level up, but I do object to perks which are borderline useless and being forced to take them to obtain a useful one further one.

Really, what makes me irked about this is, if it's an official change, why the fuck wasn't it in the patch notes?

trouble_gum

May 8, 2011
Welp, this went away after a couple of restarts of Skyrim.

File under glitch and move along.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
I plan on keeping the Lover stone until my levels are where I want them. Then I don't know.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010

Yep. Seriously, the Lord Stone is the one to rule them all in this game.

Mar 9, 2010
trouble_gum said:
"Carry weight +100, and no movement penalty from armor." Disbelievingly, I checked this out by dropping my equipped dragonplate boots onto the floor. Yup, that decreased my carried weight. What the hell?
I don't see the issue. The movement penalty doesn't refer to not having to be weighed down by your armour, it refers to you running as you would if your wore no armour. If you run without armour on then you'll run faster than if you were wearing Dragonplate. With the Steed stone you run as if you were wearing none regardless of what you're actually wearing.

Then you get the +100 carry weight.

trouble_gum

May 8, 2011
The Unworthy Gentleman said:
trouble_gum said:
"Carry weight +100, and no movement penalty from armor." Disbelievingly, I checked this out by dropping my equipped dragonplate boots onto the floor. Yup, that decreased my carried weight. What the hell?
I don't see the issue. The movement penalty doesn't refer to not having to be weighed down by your armour, it refers to you running as you would if your wore no armour. If you run without armour on then you'll run faster than if you were wearing Dragonplate. With the Steed stone you run as if you were wearing none regardless of what you're actually wearing.

Then you get the +100 carry weight.
Well, the issue was that the Steed Stone description -used- to be "Carry weight +100, no movement penalty from armor, heavy armor weighs nothing when worn." It was the change in description, couple with the bug, that made me wonder if it'd been actually changed deliberately.

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
I think its a bug. I bought the conditioned perk and my armor was weightless. Then I dropped my armor and picked it up. The weight came back. So im avoiding conditioning until they fix this. Dont assume that resistances was the only thing 1.2 screwed up.

Gustof26

Apr 7, 2011
trouble_gum said:
Sure, it's fun to take Fists of Steel and punch things to death...but it's still a pretty useless pair of perks to be saddled with.
I'd beg to differ. When your only option to convince someone of something is to used the horrible speech skill, pain to level up, or punch them in till their blood has repainted all of Skyrim then Fist of Steel looks quite promising.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008

Don't bother. The Steed Stone is utterly worthless, especially if you have a minion to carry your crap for you. All you need to do is get the armor perk that makes your armor weightless and doesn't encumber you (which you should get anyway), and the stone is made completely useless. The Lord Stone or the Lover Stone are the only really worthwhile ones in the game, with the situational exception of the Mage/Warrior/Thief Stones near Riverwood.

Dendio said:
I think its a bug. I bought the conditioned perk and my armor was weightless. Then I dropped my armor and picked it up. The weight came back. So im avoiding conditioning until they fix this. Dont assume that resistances was the only thing 1.2 screwed up.
Did you equip the armor after you picked it up? The weightless armor perks only apply to armor you're wearing.

Nathan Dewar

Dec 5, 2011
Here's the deal, Stead Stone was bugged (at least on the pc version so im assuming that translates across the board) in that not only the armour you wore was weightless but if u where carrying any armour in your inventory that was the same type of armour it too was weightless. I learnt this when I tried to make money by crafting the butload of dragon materials into dragon armour which i was also wearing.

Applejack

Aug 1, 2010
I always use steed and it still works as it did before the 1.02 patch. Dragons are no longer hostile to me post patch though and attacking one is a crime now so I guess everyone gets different bugs.

F4LL3N

May 2, 2011
I'm hesitate to plug my internet cord in the back of my 360. I'm pretty good right now and don't need the risk of new bugs.