Skyrim: A question about campions (people who tag along, not the guild)

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Between Fallout and Oblivion, I've become skeptical of campions. They always seem to die a lot. So, I haven't been bringing any of them around with me. I did have Barbas with me for a while. That scrappy little dog helped me take down a dragon, but I let him go on his way after awhile. Now I'm wondering whether or not campions will die. I've done a couple other missions involving tag-alongs who got beat up pretty well and never died.

So can they die? Is it only certain, mission related ones?

Blandman

Jan 8, 2009
I've had Lydia following me around for a while now (the housecarl from Whiterun) and it seems that she can't die, but just gets knocked over for a while. Can't speak for other companioms though.

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
Meeko the dog is my companion. So lovable. Wish there were a "pet" button...

But I have a question about companions. I'll ask it here since I don't wanna add to the flood of threads. If I buy a house and I tell Meeko to go back home, will he go back to Meeko's Shack (where I originally found him) or my newly bought house? I love him to bits but I sometimes wanna travel alone, ya know?

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
The first companion I got, the elf archer from Riverwood or whatever, seems to be pretty friggin' indesctructable.

My housecarl from Whitrerun, not so much. She died during a raid on a Forsworn camp. I placed her body on a bail of hay and lit it with magic, giving her a proper viking funeral.

Maybe the elf is tougher? Maybe he's invincible? If so, why wasn't Lydia (or whatever her name was)? I dunno.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Blandman said:
I've had Lydia following me around for a while now (the housecarl from Whiterun) and it seems that she can't die, but just gets knocked over for a while. Can't speak for other companioms though.
She can die, I was fighting a boss and she died. D: Luckly I saved before and then beat the boss and kept her alive.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
King of the Sandbox said:
The first companion I got, the elf archer from Riverwood or whatever, seems to be pretty friggin' indesctructable.

My housecarl from Whitrerun, not so much. She died during a raid on a Forsworn camp. I placed her body on a bail of hay and lit it with magic, giving her a proper viking funeral.

Maybe the elf is tougher? Maybe he's invincible? If so, why wasn't Lydia (or whatever her name was)? I dunno.
Some NPCs can't die. I don't know if any of the followers are immortal, though.

I don't want to bring
Cicero
with me until I know for sure that he won't die. I love that little guy...

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
I married Aela the Huntress who is awesome, she has max level archery skill so you can just give her a bow and she will stay back and snipe, and while she can die she needs to be bursted A LOT to actually die and this has only happened on occasions where my chain lightning spell has chained to her by accident. Just save reasonably often as you should be in this kind of game anyway and if they die you can always reload. The only real disadvantage or annoyance of a companion is that they can sometimes get in the way of your spells and they can sometimes alert enemies if you are trying to sneak.

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
triggrhappy94 said:
Between Fallout and Oblivion, I've become skeptical of campions. They always seem to die a lot. So, I haven't been bringing any of them around with me. I did have Barbas with me for a while. That scrappy little dog helped me take down a dragon, but I let him go on his way after awhile. Now I'm wondering whether or not campions will die. I've done a couple other missions involving tag-alongs who got beat up pretty well and never died.

So can they die? Is it only certain, mission related ones?
It's Quest companions. They're immortal since they're necessary to complete the quest. Hirelings and others like Meeko can die. I've heard Lydia can't die, and so far my Lydia has taken quite a few beatings and handles it. Odd to hear of other Lydias dying... Makes me nervous.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
SlaveNumber23 said:
I married Aela the Huntress who is awesome, she has max level archery skill so you can just give her a bow and she will stay back and snipe, and while she can die she needs to be bursted A LOT to actually die and this has only happened on occasions where my chain lightning spell has chained to her by accident. Just save reasonably often as you should be in this kind of game anyway and if they die you can always reload. The only real disadvantage or annoyance of a companion is that they can sometimes get in the way of your spells and they can sometimes alert enemies if you are trying to sneak.
Aela the Huntress...why does that name sound so fami-

SHE TRIED TO MURDER ME!

I saw a group of three people fighting a Giant. I sat back and watched, expecting the Giant to win...but the group of three killed it. Then they came after me! Aela the Huntress, Ferkus, and Ria...I was only level 2 at the time (New character) and I just watched them kill a Giant. Ran like a bish.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
The Pinray said:
It's Quest companions. They're immortal since they're necessary to complete the quest. Hirelings and others like Meeko can die. I've heard Lydia can't die, and so far my Lydia has taken quite a few beatings and handles it. Odd to hear of other Lydias dying... Makes me nervous.
What I think happens if a companion loses so much health they go into a yield position, enemies don't attack them, but something like an accidental attack from you or an area spell from an enemy or they're on fire or posioned can finish them off. Depending on their fight style different characters seem more or less likely to die.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Kopikatsu said:

I don't want to bring
Cicero
You too? The wiki doesn't say (yet). I might do a test save just to see if he can die. If he can't, oh the bloody fun we will have together....

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
SlaveNumber23 said:
I find that they are great distractions. If they are discovered while sneaking, you aren't. I dart around doing sneak attacks while the enemy is fighting my companion.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Kopikatsu said:

I don't want to bring
Cicero
You too? The wiki doesn't say (yet). I might do a test save just to see if he can die. If he can't, oh the bloody fun we will have together....
He reminds me of the Joker...and it isn't just because of the villainous Jester thing he has going on. He even kind of sounds like him during the incident at the Dawnstar Sanctuary

Did you use the Spectral Assassin power as soon as you got it and kept the Assassin alive for the entire quest chain, though? If not, you should try it if you go through the game again. The Assassin will comment on what you're doing. ("Yes, kill the Chef. Kill the Chef and steal his identity...that is true death." He also has some very interesting things to say outside of the last room in the Dawnstar Sanctuary...)

Sadly, I only used him near the end of Dawnstar Sanctuary and kept him around until the contract after that. So I don't know what he says before that point. (I was extremely surprised when he started talking to me. I was even MORE surprised when I realized what he was saying was relevant to the current situation.)

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Kopikatsu said:

I don't want to bring
Cicero
He reminds me of the Joker...and it isn't just because of the villainous Jester thing he has going on. He even kind of sounds like him during the incident at the Dawnstar Sanctuary

Did you use the Spectral Assassin power as soon as you got it and kept the Assassin alive for the entire quest chain, though? If not, you should try it if you go through the game again. The Assassin will comment on what you're doing. ("Yes, kill the Chef. Kill the Chef and steal his identity...that is true death." He also has some very interesting things to say outside of the last room in the Dawnstar Sanctuary...)
Yep, I love
Lucien Lachance. I squeaked when I found out who the Spectral Assassin was. Too bad he doesn't sneak, that limits how much I use him (I have a character totally spec'd for maximum sneaky fun). He is one of the reasons I didn't kill Cicero. He said that Sithis didn't wish it. Oh yes, I found out about him discussing current quests. Made things more entertaining.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Kopikatsu said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Kopikatsu said:

I don't want to bring
Cicero

Yep, I love
Lucien Lachance. I squeaked when I found out who the Spectral Assassin was. Too bad he doesn't sneak, that limits how much I use him (I have a character totally spec'd for maximum sneaky fun). He is one of the reasons I didn't kill Cicero. He said that Sithis didn't wish it. Oh yes, I found out about him discussing current quests. Made things more entertaining.
Pff.

I didn't kill him because he made my trip through the Sanctuary enjoyable. Now if I'd been giving the option to kill him before then, I would have jumped at the chance to do so. He was SO ANNOYING before going psycho. I didn't have the Assassin around until my second playthrough though, so I missed out on the dialogue the first time.

Does he discuss all quests, though? Or just the ones in the Dark Brotherhood questline?

Also...have you completed House of Horrors the 'good' way? I'm wondering what the reward is...completing it the 'evil' way gets you an awesome Daedric Mace of soul-sucking

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Kopikatsu said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Kopikatsu said:

I don't want to bring
Cicero

Yep, I love
Pff.

I didn't kill him because he made my trip through the Sanctuary enjoyable. Now if I'd been giving the option to kill him before then, I would have jumped at the chance to do so. He was SO ANNOYING before going psycho. I didn't have the Assassin around until my second playthrough though, so I missed out on the dialogue the first time.

Does he discuss all quests, though? Or just the ones in the Dark Brotherhood questline?

Also...have you completed House of Horrors the 'good' way? I'm wondering what the reward is...completing it the 'evil' way gets you an awesome Daedric Mace of soul-sucking
Only the Dark Brotherhood quests, but he will comment on some locations and about his past life. I haven't finished The House of Horrors. I went in, I gutted the priest and left. I have no interest in the Mace which means I have little motivation to complete the quest. Is it any good? I don't want to complete it and be tied to that Daedric Prince

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Kopikatsu said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Kopikatsu said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Kopikatsu said:

I don't want to bring
Cicero

Yep, I love
Pff.

Only the Dark Brotherhood quests, but he will comment on some locations and about his past life. I haven't finished The House of Horrors. I went in, I gutted the priest and left. I have no interest in the Mace which means I have little motivation to complete the quest. Is it any good? I don't want to complete it and be tied to that Daedric Prince
It does 31 points of stamina/magicka damage per hit, and traps souls on kill. However, you don't get tied to Molag Bal. When you finish the quest, he just leaves to go 'play' with the new soul that you've given him. Never returns.)

Edit: I think the Mace itself weighs like 13 and does 18 damage, but I'm not 100% on that.

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Kopikatsu said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Kopikatsu said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Kopikatsu said:

I don't want to bring
Cicero

Yep, I love
Pff.

It does 31 points of stamina/magicka damage per hit, and traps souls on kill. However, you don't get tied to Molag Bal. When you finish the quest, he just leaves to go 'play' with the new soul that you've given him. Never returns.)
I will finish it then. I know that some Princes will offer more permanent alliances. I will just sale the Mace. (I dual wield daggers. Now if there is a Daedric weapon that is a dagger in one of the quests....)