Skyrim: Any Tricks, Cheats, or Just Advice?

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I've been playing Skyrim since it came out and I've been looking to give my character a bit of an edge. I was wondering if anyone's figured out any tricks yet. Anything that could increase skills quickly, get gold easily, or a fast way to farm crafting items.

I'll get use started: Leather braces, and iron daggers are to of the easiest things to make, so if you want to raise your smithing skill, look into that.

dave1004

Sep 20, 2010
If you pick up pots and stuff and put them on NPC's heads, you can steal whatever you want. I'm serious, it's absolutely ridiculous. Decent gold, I guess.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Dual-wielded lightning bolt is completely overpowered and kills most enemies straight away. Sucks a lot of magicka, but it can give you a bit of an edge in lower levels.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
Trainers are an easy way to raise skills. Alchemists can raise their skill and turn a steady profit by buying ingredients in towns and turning them into potions that sell back for higher prices.

DrWilhelm

May 5, 2009
It's occured to me that, assuming you can find the materials and assuming armour and weapons appearing in the world is scaled as in Oblivion, smithing could theoretically allow you to acquire some of the best items in the game at level 1.

And +1 for the dual-lightning comment, though any damage spell will have the same effect. The Flames spell for instance, as in the very first spell you get, is still useful to me at level 16 just because the spray allows me to avoid fine aiming, meaning I can easily stay mobile. At lower levels that spell absolutely obliterated weaker foes.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Abuse conjuration. If you can get the enemy to focus its attention on a conjured minion you can just sit and watch, summoning one after another.

Great way to kill tough bosses, especially ones who cant fit through doors in dungeons.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
My advice?
For the love of god do NOT spend 2 hours wandering around the world and forget to save. You will encounter a fight between 2 dragons, a giant and a mammoth and be incredibly pissed off when your head gets stomped.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
Be an Orc or Nord, use a two-handed axe or hammer with relevant perks. Level 7 now on medium (default) difficulty, 1-shotting everything but bosses and big spiders with the power-attack, it's insane.

When you become a Werewolf for the first time, don't kill the only general store merchant in the city on accident. It's bad for business.

Even playing a melee character, keep some form of ranged attack in your inventory for those pesky Dragons.

Shoot down Hawks (the flying birds all over the place) for their feathers. Eating these will cure disease, and are one of the easiest ways to acquire this effect.

DO NOT attack a Mammoth or Giant at levels 5 or below. Unless you have a fetish for dying quickly. Depending on your skills, you may want to avoid these even longer than that. They are not neutral either, so don't walk up to them.

dave1004

Sep 20, 2010
reonhato said:
its been 2 days and you are already asking for cheat.... god some people are weird
You think that's funny? The game was on pirate-sites (What are they called again?)...on November Eleventh.

Too soon? Most definitely. Anyhow, I just want to post a warning: It's a very slight spoiler, your choice.
When on the path to the Greybeard guys (On the mountain), WATCH OUT. There's a level 29 Ice Troll on the trail, and you can't avoid him. RUN. Even dual-wielding fire spells can't hurt the guy. Ugh.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
dave1004 said:
reonhato said:
its been 2 days and you are already asking for cheat.... god some people are weird
You think that's funny? The game was on pirate-sites (What are they called again?)...on November Eleventh.

Too soon? Most definitely. Anyhow, I just want to post a warning: It's a very slight spoiler, your choice.
When on the path to the Greybeard guys (On the mountain), WATCH OUT. There's a level 29 Ice Troll on the trail, and you can't avoid him. RUN. Even dual-wielding fire spells can't hurt the guy. Ugh.
A random dragon appeared in my game just before that encounter too. Running from both was fun.

dave1004

Sep 20, 2010
Aethren said:
dave1004 said:
reonhato said:

A random dragon appeared in my game just before that encounter too. Running from both was fun.
My first dragon was just a bit after, and it was a total dick. Me and my companion shot at it while it flew around my head like some kind of retarded nyan cat...And then it flew off. Like, over the FREAKING UNCLIMBABLE MOUNTAIN. Yeah. Bye-bye, dragon. Dick...

Ahh. I need to get to sleep, curses. Once my family waked up, I SHALL SKYRIM!

cahtush

Jul 7, 2010
dave1004 said:
reonhato said:

Actually you can avoid him, if you know where he is. Just take a longer route around the place he is, off road.

OT: Avoid EVERYTHING at low levels. Especially Giants, as they dont attack you untill you're close enough so that you think that they're neutral. And then they one-hit you.

Javarock

Feb 11, 2011
Fieldy409 said:
Abuse conjuration. If you can get the enemy to focus its attention on a conjured minion you can just sit and watch, summoning one after another.

Great way to kill tough bosses, especially ones who cant fit through doors in dungeons.
That is aside from the ones who can turn your own creature against you.

DaJoW

Aug 17, 2010
Make sure to do a bit of the main quest, or you miss out on some very important stuff. At least meet the Greybeards I'd say.

Sammi Costello

Mar 20, 2010
dave1004 said:
reonhato said:

I took him out with fire summons, dual-casting Firebolt and Lydia as a follower.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Oh, here's a protip... Favorite your healing/mana/stamina potions.

Also, hold down the action key to manipulate objects. Took me a few hours to stumble across that one.

ipop@you

Oct 3, 2008
Speak to the Greybeards even after you leave them at first. Arngeir has a topic to talk about that lets you learn the locations of word walls so you can improve your shouts, also most of the walls you go have a Dragon guarding them so you wont be short of souls.