Skyrim: Blocking and you, or This is why you keep dying.

Mikkaddo

Black Rose Knight
Jan 19, 2008
Shirastro said:
I can't block with my bow.....and usually don't need to :p
same here, I spend most combat outside their sight range with my enchanted bow and arrows. If they actually come into range to see me I've failed at that combat *laughs*

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Stammer said:
Montezuma said:
So... How does everyone consider defense for their characters?
Offense is the best defense! I'm playing my first playthrough on Novice (the "Very Easy") difficulty. That being said, mostly every enemy I come across gets shattered in one fireball.

Plus I'm also playing an Altmer mage, so if I ever take any real damage I usually have a crapload more magic left over with which to heal myself.
Dude very easy is called very easy for a reason. I don't know if it's exactly like Oblivion's very easy setting but if it is that means that enemies are doing 1/6 of the damage they would be doing to you on normal and you do 6 times the damage you would on normal.
This is why your fire balls one hit everything...

Trivea

Jan 27, 2011
Montezuma said:
Now, I can understand the appeal of dual wielding, or the fearsome power of a two handed weapon. But Blocking (to me) is without a doubt, the most useful combat skill for a warrior type character.
But I'm not playing a warrior type character. I play games like TES series to get away from the typical "hero" model, and the sword-and-shield toting heavy doesn't fit my bow shooty-backstabby-pickpockety-lockpicky-sneaky-hidey-runny-jumpy character. In short, the weapons and methods that utilize Block well don't work with my build.

Sorry, but your entire post comes off as "you need to be playing a warrior type character and you need to be playing it this way or you aren't playing correctly".

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Eh, I tried blocking but it just felt as though it wasn't really "blocking" much damage.
So now I'm a stealthy archer, which I think's a lot more fun.

Joseph Alexander

Jul 22, 2011
i would love to be able to block, but i now have to dedicate a hand to my magic.
also i wish there was more varity to the magic in skyrim, or we could at least make our own spells again.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Whateveralot said:
I'm dual wielding shields.

Your argument is invalid.
It is not possible to dual wield shields in Skyrim as they are classified as apparel and can only be equipped to the left hand.

His argument is valid.

I'm assuming you were joking anyway though.

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
Shield bashing, even without ANY of the perks that boosts it, can let you murder dragons.

When you shield bash a foe, they recoil a little. Bonk a dragon in the nose with your little shield and they'll recoil too. The recoil animation on a dragon is really freaking long. Long enough for you to get a few free melee hits in. So just keep wailing away and throw in a shield bash every time the recoil animation finishes. Sure you'll get nibbled on from time to time too but not so much that you'll be guzzling health pots.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Blocking seems to be essential for lower level players. I haven't played a single spec route that hasn't involved the need to block a crazy ass juggernaught with glass armor and a freaking massive warhammer running at an alarming pace toward you.

I can throw as much magic, fire as many arrows, or duel wield myself all I want. Fact is, he's still gonna get to me, and smack me pretty hard in the chops... I always end up needing a shield...

zajohnson

Mar 31, 2011
I use a shield! :D Loving the slow motion tech. And the power bash moves. And 50% magic block... SHIELDS!

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Who needs to block when you're rocking Ebony Blade? Just keep swinging and you'll permanently stay at full health.

duktapeman90

Fhqwhgads
Aug 16, 2009
I would, but meh. I like having a spell in the the other hand too much. Also, I'm RPing and my character just doesn't use shields.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
It is ridiculously useful. Used to be that Giants would one shot me, but now I just block, side-step and power attack, repeat for infinite XP and free money!(U Mad, Alduin?)

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Seeing as how my character is a warrior/mage hybrid, close combat is usually how I fight my enemies. I personally like to have a balance of both offense and defense, so I like to put training into blocking. REALLY helps out in the long run from my experience.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
train alteration, and shield the fuck out of yourself (could get it to 93% in Oblivion, with enchants)

byterunner

Oct 14, 2011
You don't really realize how awesome blocking is until you shield bash a dragon in the face and make it stagger.

Swag, thats what that is.