Skyrim Creation Kit Out in January, Goodbye Backwards Dragons

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Awesome. I loved messing around in Oblivion and Fallout's Creation Kit. Now I can make my secret kill-trophy lair.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Sniper Team 4 said:
Lost In The Void said:
I'm just anxious to know if they've fix the 360 glitch that breaks the Thieves Guild quest line. I'd really like to play a run of that guild at some point.
What glitch is that? And does it happen on the PS3 as well? Oh, I better not be cheated out of my trophy.

I want them to fix the armor resistances. Hell, I want them to fix resistance period. I am getting stomped by dragons and normal mages alike. I had gear that resisted everything rather nicely. Hitting me with an ice attack was like flicking my arm. Then the patch came out. Not only do armor resistances no longer work, but it seems like drinking potions no longer work either. Dragons now strike fear into my soul, something they haven't done since I was level 10ish, and I'm level 56 now.
Please fix this bug. I can live with everything else (would prefer to have them fixed though), but this needed to be changed back.
So far its just listed as 360 so you should be good.

Basically the gist of it all is that if you delay talking to the person that activates like the second Thieve's guild quest, the one after burning the honey farm, the quest likes to delete itself and then you can never resume the questline. So basically my thief/assassin character can't become lead of the goddamn thieves guild

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
DAMMIT GREG that's twice now I've posted a "news story" so to speak, and you've come along and posted pretty much the same damn thing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.328791-NEW-Skyrim-patch-next-week-for-all-platforms#13387421] with the same source just a few hours later!!!

It's a clash between me being informative & you doing your job. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Actually, I bow down to you on this occasion, sir. It seems you have beaten me to the posting times. You win this time! (by an hour)

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
JANUARY!? I can't wait long! And I have still have to wait for some competent modders to actually make the mods I want, nay, NEED!

Damn you Bethesda, DAMN YOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
lotr rocks 0 said:
silverbullet1989 said:
looks like January is when i get the game when modders start to make it a PC game and not a console port
if the only reason you've been abstaining from buying Skyrim is because it's a console port, then you should really reconsider and get it. It's not as bad as some people have been saying. Yes the UI is very console optimized, but it does still work fine on PC once you get used to it, and IMO doesn't detract from the gameplay very much IMO. Also there's already a mod that replaces the inventory with a better, more detailed one. It's still a WIP and has some kinks, but it takes away from that console port feel quite a bit.

Link to said mod: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=667

Skyrim really is a great game, despite its flaws.
Im not basing it on pure spite of it been a console port, my brother has it for the pc and ive tried to play it, i hate the floaty mouse smoothing on it (i know it can be turned off in the settings file) i really really hate the UI, and also some of the textures just turn me off the game. I got fallout 3 and new vegas when loads of mods were out to fix all sorts of problems... main one been the DarnUI mod... hope he makes something for skyrim

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
nikki191 said:
i was reading a an article wrote by a modder that one of the earliest mods released that made the game more stable and allowed more ram usage was not only broken and unfixable by a patch. its still not officially implemented yet in one
And within 4 hours of that article being spread around the guy that made the fix mod had updated it.

The guy that wrote about it wasn't a modder he was a leech, one of those that use mods but don't make them and whine when they don't work.

On Topic...

Huzah....

I've been using the old tools to fiddle around with bits and bats (fortunately Blender and GIMP still work with Skyrim) but wouldn't mind the proper thing so I can get started on some bigger projects.

But I know that a lot of us over at Nexus will be keeping our mods as far away from Steam as possible.

Nexus is our home for our mods and that is how it is staying.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Proverbial Jon said:
This game is buggy as all hell.
When this game is patched by the developers, it is inadvertantly broken as well.
This game's players are relying on modders to fix the glitches before Bethesda do.

And yet this game has a HUGE fan base.

WHY?! Why do we still play your games Bethesda?! Seriously, only Bethesda can get away with something like this. Then again, their games are SO good that people are willing to overlook transgressions so serious that they would otherwise cripple any other dev studio.
I have a better question: why is Bethesda given free reign on this while Obsidian gets blasted for it?
Because NWN2 was absolutely crap compared to the first. Therefore, no mercy is given to them.

Whereas Bethesda apparently "ruined" fallout and only the most hardcore fans cared. Because I was a fan of the first and second fallout and didn't see how it was ruined at all. So they get some mercy

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I love that they do this, and that they'll launch a wiki and help people get used to the tools, we may get quite a few new good modders around thanks to that. DICE, take notice! You said you wouldn't allow mods cuz the engine was too complex, this is the way to handle that!
Proverbial Jon said:
This game is buggy as all hell.
When this game is patched by the developers, it is inadvertantly broken as well.
This game's players are relying on modders to fix the glitches before Bethesda do.

And yet this game has a HUGE fan base.

WHY?! Why do we still play your games Bethesda?! Seriously, only Bethesda can get away with something like this. Then again, their games are SO good that people are willing to overlook transgressions so serious that they would otherwise cripple any other dev studio.
I've played the game for about 50 hours, have yet to find a single bug. Everyone's experience will differ.

robandall

Jan 25, 2010
I'm gutted about this. I was gonna hammer Skyrim all over Christmas but now I'll probably hold off until the creation kit is available! :( The game will surely be amazing without it but I love how you can tailor the game to be exactly how you want it with mods. That's part of what made FO3, NV and Oblivion (sorry I didn't have a PC powerful enough for Morrowind) so memorable for me.

Soviet Heavy said:
Proverbial Jon said:
This game is buggy as all hell. WHY?! Why do we still play your games Bethesda?! Seriously, only Bethesda can get away with something like this.
I have a better question: why is Bethesda given free reign on this while Obsidian gets blasted for it?
Not that I've got anything against Obsidian, I loved NV and KOTR2 but they did manage to break things that worked fine in FO3. That's a bit silly really.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
SirCannonFodder said:
Greg Tito said:
The post also outlined the plan for future bug fixes and kinda-sort explains/apologizes for the bugs in Patch 1.2. "We'll be releasing an incremental update next week. We anticipate it will be up on PC first, and then hit PS3 and Xbox 360 later in the week. Among other things, the update will fix issues like magic resistance not calculating properly and the rare, amazing backwards flying dragon," the post read. "We've also realized that with the millions upon millions of people playing Skyrim, we need to treat our updates with greater care. If we get too aggressive trying to fix a minor issue, we run a risk of breaking something larger in a game like this."

PC players take heart, Bethesda will be rolling updates out to you much faster than your console brethren. "We'll be releasing an incremental update next week. We anticipate it will be up on PC first, and then hit PS3 and Xbox 360 later in the week. Overall, you should expect updates to be hitting the PC and Steam earlier and more often, as that's a process we control. Console updates will follow, as they must be certified and processed by those manufacturers."
Erm, repeating yourself a bit there Greg :p

Anyway, I'm definitely liking the sound of that steam integration.
Thanks for the catch there. Fixed in post.

Greg

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
silverbullet1989 said:
looks like January is when i get the game when modders start to make it a PC game and not a console port
Not just that. Bethesda makes some great games but the modder are the ones that get the games running.
That should be the top argument for getting mods on the consoles.

As someone who only occasionally mods, I found the modding process for Fallout 3 to be utterly bamboozling, yet rewarding and ultimately very worth it.

I can see why they would want to streamline it. However, I can't see them getting it all to work properly as well as the modders can. The risk is that it may end up making the game just as messed up as a non-modded version.

I could be way off but that's just the impression that I get: Bethesda games really become great (iow - They work) when they're taken out of Bethesda's hands.

plainlake

Jan 20, 2010
I just want to thank any modders nreading this.. Thank you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8JCX9E0bEI

Hussmann54

Dec 14, 2009
Zer_ said:
-Ragdolls go crazy sometimes. Who fucking cares!
I actually find it amusing sometimes, it helped lessen the blow ( obvious metaphorical talk lol) the first time i ran into a giant and wondered "Hmmm I wonder how tough they are?"

I believe I gave NASA a run for their money concerning any world records there may be for fastest take off to breach the stratosphere.

I learned my lesson, and was entertained. Win/Win.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
Greg Tito said:
[...]The Steam Workshop integration sounds cool because you'll be able to pick mods from any device connected to the web, and those mods will download when you boot up Skyrim on Steam. "Like a live Netflix queue, when you fire up Skyrim, mods you flagged will be automatically downloaded and installed."[...]
No.
It doesn't sound cool. Not after the fiasco I'm experiencing with Patch 1.2
If I give in to my paranoia I think that Steam will probably download mods randomly and install them without my consent or even me knowing, just like that blasphemous 1.2 Patch I never wanted. I rather use my brain cells and google to find the mods I like than to trust Steam doing what it's doing now...

Other than that:
I'm looking forward to the Creation Kit. I always wanted to Mod something. I think Skyrim is a good game to start my modding career.

FunctionZ

Jul 4, 2011
Brilliant stuff. Looks like it was a good idea to hold on getting the game until the start of next year. Guess I will buy Skyrim during a Xmas sale and not play it until this comes out as well as the bug fixes.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
January isn't soon. A few days from now would be soon. January is a full month away, and even they they could release it at the end of January making it 2 months. Then you have to wait a few weeks for the real mods to trickle in and get voted to a position where you would actually bother trying them.