Skyrim for the PS3

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
I just bought a PS3 a few days ago and I am loving it. I had a pre-order for Skyrim on the 360 and switched it to the PS3 a few days ago. Was that a mistake?

I just found out today how badly Bethesda has treated the PS3 with Oblivion and with Fallout 3. I have been looking for any PS3-Skyrim info and have found nothing useful. Do you think Bethesda is going to screw over PS3 gamers with this release too? Should I consider changing my pre-order back to the 360 version?

I really prefer the PS3, my son has taken over the 360 and I really haven't touched it in a long time. All things being equal, I prefer to get the PS3 version but will all things be equal?

Rufei

Mar 30, 2011
Well. I wouldn't say it's a bad decision - they'll probably just use Unity to port it over anyways. I'd go for their PC version for the full experience, though, considering what they're promising and what they always push out on the PC version.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Rufei said:
Well. I wouldn't say it's a bad decision - they'll probably just use Unity to port it over anyways. I'd go for their PC version for the full experience, though, considering what they're promising and what they always push out on the PC version.
I don't want to wait for unofficial patches to even get it to run on the PC. I'll eventually buy it for the PC but maybe not for a year or two when the modders have had their way with it.

Bethesda seems to be favoring the 360, not the PC or the PS3 so I am expecting the PC version to be the least polished one since the hardware is a variable.

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
If your PC can handle it, the PC version a thousand times over. The mod community is just... it's unbelievable, you seriously are missing out big time otherwise.

But if you decide to play it on a console I think either should be fine. Go with your gut feeling and keep the PS3 version.

Rufei

Mar 30, 2011
Crono1973 said:
Rufei said:
I don't want to wait for unofficial patches to even get it to run on the PC. I'll eventually buy it for the PC but maybe not for a year or two when the modders have had their way with it.

Bethesda seems to be favoring the 360, not the PC or the PS3 so I am expecting the PC version to be the least polished one since the hardware is a variable.
If you have generally speaking the popular hardware brands, you should be fine.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Rufei said:
Crono1973 said:
Rufei said:

If you have generally speaking the popular hardware brands, you should be fine.
I have the PC version of Oblivion and I know the unofficial patch fixed more than a thousand bugs. I don't have any faith in a Bethesda game on Day 1, even with the best hardware. I expect alot of CTD complaints on day one.

No, I will play it first on a console and later pick up the PC version.

Swifty714

Jun 1, 2011
In honesty, it doesn't matter MUCH.

In the past the PS3 has been ignored on some glitches and bugs, but none were really game-breaking persay.

PC version is usually better, but you had better have a good PC to even think about running it so it looks half-way decent and still run smoothly. The modding community is OK. Not to be over-critical but a lot of the mods out their aren't that great, or end up breaking the game themselves.

rockingnic

May 6, 2009
I'd say it's kinda sketchy for both PS3 and 360. PS3 mainly for what you have said and being alot more glitches. But it's weird how they fit it on one disc for the 360 when Rage is 3 disc as well as L.A. Noire. I expect it to look only mildly improved on the 360 when compared to the PC increased quality.

LooK iTz Jinjo

Feb 22, 2009
As a general rule I would get it on 360 over PS3 because, being designed for 360 and not a port (also the online, not that it matters for Skyrim), it runs better, that being said most things are minimal and it won't really make much of a difference.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Swifty714 said:

In the past the PS3 has been ignored on some glitches and bugs, but none were really game-breaking persay.

PC version is usually better, but you had better have a good PC to even think about running it so it looks half-way decent and still run smoothly. The modding community is OK. Not to be over-critical but a lot of the mods out their aren't that great, or end up breaking the game themselves.
The Vampire-Cure bug on the GOTY edition was game breaking. To fix it you had to rent or buy a vanilla Oblivion disc to get around the problem. If that isn't game breaking, I don't know what is. Bethesda did not patch it and when they released the 5th Anniversary edition, they still didn't fix it. The PS3 version got none of the DLC (except Knight of the Nine). BTW, that same DLC cannot be found on PC either unless you buy a digital copy of the game.

Bethesda seems only to care about the 360. The PC version will be fine in a year, thanks to modders but the PS3 version could be ruined forever if Bethesda drops the ball again. The lack of any promotion for the PS3 version is a little worrying.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
rockingnic said:
I'd say it's kinda sketchy for both PS3 and 360. PS3 mainly for what you have said and being alot more glitches. But it's weird how they fit it on one disc for the 360 when Rage is 3 disc as well as L.A. Noire. I expect it to look only mildly improved on the 360 when compared to the PC increased quality.
Yeah, fitting it all on one DVD is a little worrying. I am expecting it to fill more than 9 GB's on the Blu-Ray and hopefully that means higher quality textures and audio. On one DVD, it makes me wonder how it can look any better than Oblivion.

Swifty714

Jun 1, 2011
Crono1973 said:
Swifty714 said:

The Vampire-Cure bug on the GOTY edition was game breaking. To fix it you had to rent or buy a vanilla Oblivion disc to get around the problem. If that isn't game breaking, I don't know what is. Bethesda did not patch it and when they released the 5th Anniversary edition, they still didn't fix it. The PS3 version got none of the DLC (except Knight of the Nine). BTW, that same DLC cannot be found on PC either unless you buy a digital copy of the game.

Bethesda seems only to care about the 360. The PC version will be fine in a year, thanks to modders but the PS3 version could be ruined forever if Bethesda drops the ball again. The lack of any promotion for the PS3 version is a little worrying.
You could always avoid vampireism by sleeping in your own house or near a stash of garlic :Trollface:. Plus the bug itself was rare, and is you really worried about it, you could just load up you last save before the bite occurred and be on your merry way.

As for the DLC, can't explain that one, but they did release all the DLC for fallout 3 for the PS3 as well as pc if I remember correctly. (And maybe New Vegas, i'm not sure). As for buying a digital copy, most gamer's on the pc already do that with steam. Buying an actual disc is almost unheard of in most communities now.

And the lack of promotion? the PS3 is too busy trying to advertise its shrinking stack of exclusives, then to specifically advertise a game on it that will be released on every other console anyways.

Too each man his own I suppose though.

aaronobst

Needs a life
Aug 20, 2010
Jeez can we please stop trying to force the PC version down his throat?. The question is in regard to the Playstation version

OT: I think the PS3 version'll be fine but the fact that they have released no footage or info whatsoever does make me a little skeptical...

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Crono1973 said:
I just found out today how badly Bethesda has treated the PS3 with Oblivion
Wait, what? I found Oblivion to be nothing but superior on the PS3. Similar in most aspects, but it ran much smoother.

Regardless, they do seem to be giving the 360 more attention for Skyrim. While I had been planning to get it for my PS3, I might still switch.

Keith Reedy

Jan 10, 2011
Crono1973 said:
Swifty714 said:

I'm a 360 man myself so what is this vampire cure glitch you speak of?

Now that I have revealed my obvious bias, 360 all the way yay! I have had barely any bugs on any of the bethesda games on the 360 even New Vegas only buggified once on me

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Swifty714 said:
Crono1973 said:
Swifty714 said:

You could always avoid vampireism by sleeping in your own house or near a stash of garlic :Trollface:. Plus the bug itself was rare, and is you really worried about it, you could just load up you last save before the bite occurred and be on your merry way.

As for the DLC, can't explain that one, but they did release all the DLC for fallout 3 for the PS3 as well as pc if I remember correctly. (And maybe New Vegas, i'm not sure). As for buying a digital copy, most gamer's on the pc already do that with steam. Buying an actual disc is almost unheard of in most communities now.

And the lack of promotion? the PS3 is too busy trying to advertise its shrinking stack of exclusives, then to specifically advertise a game on it that will be released on every other console anyways.

Too each man his own I suppose though.
Oh wow!

That you can avoid a bug does not mean it isn't game breaking. I have a physical copy of Oblivion. You make it sound like physical copies are so rare as to be unimportant, that's just not the case.

On the promotion issue, I meant that Bethesda hasn't shown any PS3 footage at all (or atleast not that I could find).

Swifty714

Jun 1, 2011
When I said it is unheard of to buy physical copies, it was more of a figure-of-speech. What I mean, is that nowadays, people rather just pre-buy the game via steam, let it download and then play. Also, since steam has the ability to cut prices as much as 75% on games, buying digital versions are cheaper rather then going out and buying a psychical copy that can be lost, broken or stolen for more money.

Furthering the promotion issue, its probably implied that whatever is done in the footage is relative to both the PS3 and the Xbox360

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Jadak said:
Crono1973 said:
I just found out today how badly Bethesda has treated the PS3 with Oblivion
Wait, what? I found Oblivion to be nothing but superior on the PS3. Similar in most aspects, but it ran much smoother.

Regardless, they do seem to be giving the 360 more attention for Skyrim. While I had been planning to get it for my PS3, I might still switch.
Oblivion GOTY on the PS3 had a game breaking bug that Bethesda never fixed, the vampire cure bug. It actually requires you to get a non-GOTY disc (rent it or buy it if you have to) to get past this bug. It's ridiculous that Bethesda ignored it even when they released the 5 year Anniversary version earlier this year. I guess the PS3 version wasn't that important to them.

Also, all the DLC (except KOTN) was never released on the PS3.

Other than that, it ran smoother on the PS3 and looked better but just be careful to avoid becoming a vampire because on the PS3, there is no cure and I hope you didn't want the Wizards Tower or Fighters Stronghold.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Swifty714 said:
When I said it is unheard of to buy physical copies, it was more of a figure-of-speech. What I mean, is that nowadays, people rather just pre-buy the game via steam, let it download and then play. Also, since steam has the ability to cut prices as much as 75% on games, buying digital versions are cheaper rather then going out and buying a psychical copy that can be lost, broken or stolen for more money.

Furthering the promotion issue, its probably implied that whatever is done in the footage is relative to both the PS3 and the Xbox360
Steam is great but I am not buying Oblivion again just because Bethesda doesn't want to sell DLC to those who bought physical copies, or PS3 copies.