Skyrim for the PS3

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
L10nH3ArT said:
I have a PS3 and wish I could send it back to Sony, and get all of the money I paid back, lol.

Soooo yea, I'd say I'd buy it for PC. And wait a year before that happens. But I have Xenoblade Chronicles and Professor Layton to keep me company these days so I'm content to wait for patching, not like I'll miss out on anything.

But seriously Sony, please buy back my PS3 :(...

Given the development cycle was based on the 360, the weakest hardware. I'd go with that if you gotta play it ASAP. It may not look as pretty though.

Also I think the lack of updating may have to do with the limits M$ and $ony place on games when it comes to patching and updating. In regards to how many times and how large they can be. Not sure just something I've read. Either way it sounds like a great way to kill your own market, especially once people start hearing about how tight you're pinching your fingers.

Same goes for titles on XBLA, I believe there's some sort of arbitrary data size cap limit. To go along with the also arbitrary proprietary HDDs they sell for way too much. At least the price of 250 GB is much more manageable than when I used to own one.

Fool me once, shame on... Shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled again!
Well, if Bethesda couldn't patch the game breaking bug (they could have, other PS3 games have patches), they could have atleast fixed it with the re-release earlier this year. They didn't.

AppleShrapnel

Jan 2, 2010
According to most devs several years ago,(may not apply at all, nowadays) the PS3 was more of a chore to work on than the 360 or pc. So yeah, porting to the PS3 generally saw a game lessened to some degree when compared side-by-side.

Can't attest to support for dlc or the vampire cure bug and the like, being a pc-person, but I'd imagine the porting process has gotten markedly better now... so just stick with it, and let us know. :X

Had some issues with Oblivion on its release, but my rig wasn't half as beefy as it is now, so I'm not terribly worried about wading into a sea of ctd's like many seem to expect... /:p

Captcha:

rods. tcondom

... :|

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
To be frank, not a heck alot of difference with the consoles, considering Skyrim, I hope. Personally I'm getting it on the PC, just because I'm used to PC now, I was a PS3 guy. Just use whichever console your used to i suppose.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Rufei said:
Well. I wouldn't say it's a bad decision - they'll probably just use Unity to port it over anyways. I'd go for their PC version for the full experience, though, considering what they're promising and what they always push out on the PC version.
The PC version will be a port. Specifically, the game will be ported a few weeks before release. As such, you can expect the entire game to be horribly optimized both control and graphical wise. Sure, there are always mods to consider but to be honest, I'd much rather not support a company that clearly doesn't give a shit about my platform of choice. If you think you're getting the full experience on the PC, think again.

Anyways, most cross-platform games are apparently ported to the PS3 due to how hard it is to actually develop games on it. I suggest you cancel your pre-order and wait a week or so before buying it. Still, it's your choice.

rockingnic

May 6, 2009
Crono1973 said:
rockingnic said:
I'd say it's kinda sketchy for both PS3 and 360. PS3 mainly for what you have said and being alot more glitches. But it's weird how they fit it on one disc for the 360 when Rage is 3 disc as well as L.A. Noire. I expect it to look only mildly improved on the 360 when compared to the PC increased quality.
Yeah, fitting it all on one DVD is a little worrying. I am expecting it to fill more than 9 GB's on the Blu-Ray and hopefully that means higher quality textures and audio. On one DVD, it makes me wonder how it can look any better than Oblivion.
I hope they do what BF3 is going to do and put a texture pack on a separate disc to install to your HD

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Crono1973 said:
I'll eventually buy it for the PC but maybe not for a year or two when the modders have had their way with it.

Bethesda seems to be favoring the 360, not the PC or the PS3 so I am expecting the PC version to be the least polished one since the hardware is a variable.
That's what I'm going to do: wait a year or two for them to fix it, then get goty for the PC.
As a PS3 owner, I've been burned too many times by Bethesda to ever buy another one of their games for the ps3 ever again. I love their games but it's obvious they just don't put any effort at all into porting to the ps3. At this point, I wont buy the ps3 version just on principle: if people keep buying their crappy ports anyway, what incentive will they have to make improvements.

The fact that we haven't seen any footage from the ps3 version only makes it more suspect.

If you need to get it right away, get it for the 360. It should at least work and if it doesn't, you can be sure that it will be getting the first patches.

IKSA

Jun 30, 2011
If I would be you I would change it back to Xbox version because the history of bethesda on PS3 I would not take the risk.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
I would have switched it to PC. If you have a desktop, it's better to invest $150 in a graphics card than a PS3 in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I love my PS3, but gaming on PC is so much smoother.

I still hate XBOX.

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
This is why I'm waiting until after release to get the game. I probably won't get it until Eurogamer does a Face-Off on Skyrim.

randomrob

Aug 5, 2009
OP: If you remember, the bugs for Fallout: New Vegas were far more numerous and experience ruining in the 360 version than the PS3 version. I think with the new engine, all 3 versions should run fairly smoothly.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
randomrob said:
OP: If you remember, the bugs for Fallout: New Vegas were far more numerous and experience ruining in the 360 version than the PS3 version. I think with the new engine, all 3 versions should run fairly smoothly.
You sure? I had New Vegas for the ps3 and I can't imagine it being more buggy. At one point, it just crashed constantly, not to mention the other annoying glitches the interrupted gameplay. Also, didn't the 360 get patches first too?
The new engine actually makes me more nervous; like it's going to take them a couple of games before they wrap their heads around the new engine.

Once again, with all these questions and no footage of the ps3 version, I'm not even bothering with this game for at least a couple of months.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
I had Oblivion on the PS3, though I run it on PC now. It was fine except for the vampire bug. It ran smoothly, controlled well, looked good, etc. If PS3 is your console of choice, you should be fine running Skyrim on it. Bethesda games tend to have weird issues on every platform, even the ones they "favor."

J-Do

Dec 20, 2009
I've played Oblivion, Fallout 3 GOTY and New Vegas on PS3, and Fallout 3 was the only one I ever had trouble with, specifically the G.O.A.T bug. After a few reloads though it worked fine.
Never had any problems with Oblivion or Vegas, but maybe I just got lucky.
Personally I'm not worried about the PS3 version at all.

shasjas

May 18, 2011
people, remember that oblivion was ported by a third party company and released a year later.
the leaves on fallout 3 as evidence of bethesdas effort on ps3 versions.

i very much hope that they improve their support from that.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Bethesda have signed a deal for the first 2 DLCs for Skyrim to be 30 days early on Xbox 360. Other than that, nothing special.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
L10nH3ArT said:
I have a PS3 and wish I could send it back to Sony, and get all of the money I paid back, lol.

Soooo yea, I'd say I'd buy it for PC. And wait a year before that happens. But I have Xenoblade Chronicles and Professor Layton to keep me company these days so I'm content to wait for patching, not like I'll miss out on anything.

But seriously Sony, please buy back my PS3 :(...

Given the development cycle was based on the 360, the weakest hardware. I'd go with that if you gotta play it ASAP. It may not look as pretty though.

Also I think the lack of updating may have to do with the limits M$ and $ony place on games when it comes to patching and updating. In regards to how many times and how large they can be. Not sure just something I've read. Either way it sounds like a great way to kill your own market, especially once people start hearing about how tight you're pinching your fingers. I just don't think any developer, especially one with such a low amount of published titles at the time, want to put you on their bad side because of the small things that mar an otherwise good product. Returning customers decide whether they make money, not the small percentage they bring in with new installments.

Same goes for titles on XBLA, I believe there's some sort of arbitrary data size cap limit. To go along with the also arbitrary proprietary HDDs they sell for way too much. At least the price of 250 GB is much more manageable than when I used to own one.

Fool me once, shame on... Shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled again!
Good. I'm not the only one who wishes Sony would just buy back their ps3 from me. Especially now that all further updates will just be the latest anti-hacking firmware and nothing that will actually benefit us.

Also, the Bush quote there perfectly illustrates why I refuse to buy a Bethesda game for the ps3: they're usually a complete mess.

aretelio

61.8% Water
May 4, 2011
I pondered this purchase decision myself. I have a a 360, PS3 and a fairly decent gaming PC (it could probably do with a video card upgrade, but that's beside the point). I'm all about PC gaming. If anything is released for the PC I'll usually buy that version and that version only.

I bought and played Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas for the PC. Now, I have a pretty decent setup for PC gaming, a nice comfy chair, 5.1 surround sound and 24" monitor. Ok, so maybe when I played Morrowind the monitor was smaller, but I digress. I spent a great deal of time in that chair over the years and as comfortable as it is for the first hour, it gets increasingly less comfortable the longer you spend in it. My back hurts. That's the short of it.

About two years ago, I was bored and downloaded Oblivion for the 360 because I had Microsoft Points burning a hole straight through my avatar's skinny jeans. Thanks to the hype-train of Skyrim, I decided to fire it up the other day and piss around a bit. I noticed my recent save had about 142 hours of play time logged on it. This intrigued me, so I went over to my PC and loaded-up my most recent PC save of Oblivion. 75 hours.

I think my point is that regardless of shiny mods and other pros (and cons) of PC gaming, I happened to spend more time with the game in a setting where I didn't have to worry about things like that.

Of course, that isn't to say I won't pick it up for the PC and play around with mods later, but in the winter of my 31st year, I think I'll be relaxing on the sofa while I vacation in Skyrim. My back will thank me later.