Skyrim: I think it's overrated. Or am I totally missing the point?

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
I think this says more about generic number scores than anything, if an RTS gets a 9/10 but you cant stand to play RTS games then for you it is overrated but at the same time that does not mean that it was a bad RTS game. At the same time would it be right for a reviewer to deduct score from a game just because it has a genre? If we did that no game ever would be better than a 7/10 so either all games are overrated or none are overrated. I prefer reviewers that describe games or that I know have a similar taste in games. I only look at the number reviews for low scores so I can research if a game is broken or not.

littlealicewhite

Jul 18, 2010
gamernerdtg2 said:
gamernerdtg2 said:
You forgot to mention that the combat is actually terrible, you don't have to level up, and people forget who you are - even after you go through a traumatic ordeal and they invite you to sleep in their house overnight. LOL the combat is "tense" because melee combat is awful. I'm talking about the 360.
Anyways, when I chime in like I do, never assume that I'm trying to disrespect you or anyone for any reason. I get alot out of conversation, like I said earlier. If you feel offended, my apologies.
Some of your previous statements, such as the quoted one above, seemed like you were painting your reasons for not liking the game as objective failures rather than your opinion. If I misinterpreted that I apologize, but presenting an opinion as fact can come across as disrespectful. You can say you hate a game for X reason, but saying that everyone who played that game must have had a horrible time for X reason is just not true. It might not have been your intent, but that's how I read it.

I don't really mind conversing like this either, in fact I'm glad this hasn't turned into pretty insults or outright flaming. It's a real change of pace from most dialog on the Internet.

And I was mostly talking about DA:O. DA2 just... wasn't very good in my opinion. It wasn't "bad" either, just kinda "meh". Dragon's Dogma took me completely by surprise. I was not expecting to like it as much as I did. The JRPG elements throw me off at times, but it's still very engrossing.

Stavros Dimou

Mar 15, 2011
Well it was fine as long as it lasted.
Do I think that there is a big number of people who exaggerate about it ? yes.
Does that make it bad ? No,not at all.

For some people it's a mind blowing experience. They never played in such a large world,being able to do so many different things in one game.
For others it's not so good as it could have been. There is a popular theory among fans of The Elder Scrolls series,and that is that usually the first game of the series you will play,will be your favorite.

Personally I enjoyed Oblivion way more than Skyrim,even though most people prefer Skyrim.
The thing is,while Oblivion lacks something in presentation (particle effects,art style,animations) it earns it on other aspects,like way more interesting side-quests,increased replay value etc.

It seems that Skyrim's development idea was to do as more things as possible and don't bother on refining them,like it goes for quantity instead of quality. In comparison to Oblivion,Skyrim has more 'features'. It has werewolf gameplay,crafting,and fighting from horseback.
But while it has more things,they are so simply materialized that they feel tacked on.
And you can see how Skyrim went for quantity over quality,when you step in one of those huge fires the Giants have started,and absolutely nothing happens to your character. In Oblivion if you would step in a fire like that,you would get health damage,and your character would literally get in fire with fancy visual effects. It's obvious that during the development of Oblivion the devs spent more time thinking of ways of making what the game already had to feel more organic/responsive/interactive/better than spend their time adding as much new stuff possible.

There have been many videos on Youtube commenting on the 'simplification' of the series.
Trying to have an objective view,I'd say that while the simplification of Skyrim made it more approachable to a bigger number of people,it also made it more shallow,and that shallowness doesn't generate the same amount of enjoyment some people found on let's say Oblivion or Morrowind.

Skyrim is more easy for a player that is not used on hardcore CRPGs to get into it.
People that play RPGs casually might get overwhelmed by Oblivion for example.
Yet if someone seeks depth,and the kind of experience of a 'hardcore' RPG,he will find more of that in Oblivion.
I'm not talking about graphics here or animation,I refer to the actual experience,which includes gameplay + story telling.

Do you want an easy to get into,action game,with not a lot of consequences,that has a huge amount of stuff to do,holds the player by the hand,and gratifies him a lot,without caring much about story and npc interaction ? Get Skyrim.

If you instead prefer a more 'classic' RPG with attributes system and classes,and lots of numbers and options to tweak for your character,and have your actions affect you or the world somewhat more,has more interesting side-quests,and NPCs with more personality,then Oblivion is a better choice.

If though you don't care about graphics at all,and you want the closest thing that exist in the video games medium to pen and paper RPGs,with all the depth that includes,with even combat being done with dice-rolls,then get Morrowind.

As you realize the ES series are gradually transitioning from pnpRPG simulators to action games.
With Morrowind being the closest to pnpRPG simulation,Oblivion the middle ground,and Skyrim the closest to an Action video game.

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
OP I would have said that no one cares about your opinion on a videogame but clearly, considering the length of the thread, people do...for some reason.

So, people shouldn't care about your opinion. Enjoy not playing Skyrim and I'm going to go enjoy playing it.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Skyrim is a game that really needs mods in my opinion.

OP if you're willing to give Skyrim another chance then go here and download this mod:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/19281/?

Just download the Nexus Mod Manager first, then download the main file using it, activate it, download the update, activate that one and you're good to go.

It's a complete overhaul of the entire game and it changes EVERYTHING. If you like Dark Souls you'll probably like Requiem.

It's about taking it slow, learning about your enemies, using the environment and dying a whole lot in the process.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
In Search of Username said:
I don't get it at all. The Elder Scrolls games are just so bland. Dead-eyed characters with awful writing and voice-acting, the lore pretty much entirely ripped off from Tolkein, the combat is just... bad. And the whole quest structure is essentially just 'pick one of these several linear series of quests which have no impact on one another'. I really want to like the Elder Scrolls games because I can't think of another fantasy RPG that gives you such a big open world to explore and so much freedom in your levelling, but I can't get over just how shit it all is if you actually care in the slightest about story or atmosphere.
I could not disagree more with you. The Elder Scrolls is one of the few games that actually builds a realistic world where in which the lore found in game (in the books) usually contradicts itself. Frequently we're fed information from a biased point of view, just like real life. Also, the games don't force their lore on you, they leave bread crumbs and allow you to choose to go off and follow the trail. At no point did I feel like I was being forced to learn about something without me having to actively seek it down. For example, if you join the companions and start reading Kodlak's journal throughout the course of the game, you see it get updated with information that foreshadows future events, character's reasons behind their actions and disposition, and can really draw you into the history of the companions.

Also, Tolkein HEAVILY based his works off Norse mythology, more so than Bethesda has with Tolkein's work. This is not a bad thing either, especially seeing as how both have changed the source material. For example, the Elves were immortal in Norse mythology, Tolkein's are, TES's were possibly once. Dwarves were craftsmen, Tolkein's were also warriors, TES's were a species of Elves. I hate that now being inspired by someone is seen as being a bad thing by some people now.

Story...is actually something I'll say you can be right on. Bethesda still suffers from, "build game first, story second" and their stories do seem to follow very basic and linear paths. The atmosphere however is really what you make of it for yourself. Some people just don't get into certain genres of games/a specific game in a genre they like.

In the end, this is a subjective piece of work, and whilst you may not like it (which is perfectly fine) many people do agree that it was a good game.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Itchi_da_killa said:
First of all, I'm not trying to step on peoples toes here so please don't get too upset at me.

I will be honest; I'm not into the "dark age/ Tolkien'ish" fantasy RPG thing too much.
-but
My friends, and other people I know have been trying to get me to play Skyrim for a while now. So I finally tore myself away from Dark Souls, and made the plunge. I now have over 100 hrs in the game, but I'm too tired and worn out with this system, that I can't go on. I have forced myself to play through at least 30 of those hrs, because I'm not a quitter and I really wanted to experience a fraction of the time my friends have put into this game.

So here is what I "think": I kind of liked it, but...
This game is way too long and tedious. The dungeons are samey and go on and on. The encounters are easy, even on master. I witnessed town guards kill dragons, so what the hell is so special about the dragon born...really? Shouts are weak, so who cares? Speaking of dragons; I have killed so many that I am annoyed every time I hear one up in the sky, or when I see a shadow move past me on the ground. The combat is so clumsy, that I feel like many boss fights are won by accident. The game has crashed on me too many times to be considered a "complete" product. I fall asleep periodically while playing, (no lie, I really fall asleep). I have killed Alduin and I seriously don't want to do another thing in this game, despite having a tone of active quests.

-How ever
It's a damn beautiful game, with great music and lore.

Does anyone else feel that Skyrim is overrated?

---------------------------------update stuff based on comments--------------

First of all let me just state; I applaud Bethesda's vision they had for Skyrim (I haven't played any of the other Elder Scrolls games).

What "I" meant by over rated was that I don't think the game deserves all of the stars and numbers from game scores and such. Like it has a 9/10 from Gamespot, 96 on meticritic, et cetera. I think the game deserves a 7 at the most.

Yes I do have a little more than 100hrs on the game. I did have fun at first, but then it started feeling like a chore. I have a personality that doesn't allow me to quit things "easily", so it was hard to just stop playing this game because I felt like I "had" to finish it.

Mods make lots of things great.
Ha ha. I get where you are coming from man, going from Dark souls to skyrim, yeah, I can get why skyrim may be a little underwhelming. Too easy, a little boring, glitchy and with good moments but not so captivating story am I right?

I would agree with your 7, and a longtime fan of oblivion I know gave it lower.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
drummond13 said:
You played a game for 100 hours, 70 of them without "forcing" yourself, and you feel the game is overrated?

I'm confused. How much entertainment does a game need to provide before it's considered worthwhile? 200 hours?
Dark souls can give 200 hours of entertainment, easy.
Days I've sunk into mp in that game. Which isn't even covering making new builds, trying different equipment combinations and signing down so I can help others with bosses again and again.

When did you jump into another skyrim player's game and help them take a boss? Oh... I see.

Praise the sun.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
danon said:
Skyrim is a game with the size of a lake and the depth of a pond.
Catchy, not quite fair though. I had a great time, second play through, hunting the dragon lords early while at tremendously low level, completing a range of side quests and then beginning the main quest. That felt worthy and with depth. I had played to let the character grow before becoming the chosen one.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
It was wondrous for me at first with all the discovering and challenges to look forward to, then you find out it's not all that different and you do pretty much the same thing over and over with the shallow combat system. I wouldn't have minded that if I didn't keep getting over powered with every class I chose.

I had to push myself in the end to get through all the big quests. Some were enjoyable, and I really liked going into Blackreach, but that's about it.

It's a very detailed game, but it is over-rated and I don't think I'll ever jump into it again.

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
Only thing I'm gonna say is that for a game all about exploration, it certainly does not reward my exploring with at all. Nothing unique to find anywhere, items are better when crafted. Morrowind had more surprises and unique stuff. Also, Oblivion questlines ( brotherhood, thieves ) were the bomb

SerithVC

Dec 23, 2011
Is skyrim over rated? Yes.

The two main quest lines are good, even though one doesn't really get any true resolution. I find the world feels empty and visually soul sucking. It lacked the vibrant colors of an actual world. The hunting and crafting mechanics are a joke. It puts far too much focus on using heavy armor. You need mods to make this game worth the money and this game can be beat in about 6 hours without cheats and/or mods. There are only like 3 enemy types, all easy to counter. Melee enemies who run straight for you and never back out of your reach, ranged units who stay somewhat back and shoot you with arrows/magic, and dragons which are just boring and are far too easy to kill. all the side quests are relatively the same. The "characters" are all bland lifeless one dimension cardboard cut outs.

Personally i find skyrim was a terrible game with little in it to actually enjoy. The Alduin plot was meh at best. The War for Skyrim plot was better, but ended with SPOILERS ALERT 'now we must prepare to fight against the Falmer... Thalmer... Ass hole elves that want to take over the world which if i google searched it right is Aldmer. And i feel no need to mention the bugs in the system since there isn't nearly enough room to point them out.

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
Itchi_da_killa said:
I witnessed town guards kill dragons...
Never seen this myself, although it's a common enough complaint that people use mods for it. Myself, the only time I saw a young dragon get mobbed by townies is when I led one to the Mages Guild. At high enough levels, the dragons just run away after killing a guard or two.

Itchi_da_killa said:
The combat is so clumsy, that I feel like many boss fights are won by accident.
No it's not. With proper speccing, Skyrim combat can be very visceral. The problem is, most doofuses just equip double swords or a giant hammer, then wail away at the opponent while mashing the potion button. They don't use power attacks, don't use blocks or shield bashes, and they don't get the proper blocking feats.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Eh different games for different people, I think people are crazy for liking dark souls ;p But to throw a bit of a reasoning in there, Skyrim rewards you for doing specific things. Spend hours leveling magic, get cool spells, Spend hours on a weapon, get extra attacks and skills, sneaking to start becoming invisible. Dark souls tends to be shove souls you get from anywhere into anything.

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
Nazulu said:
It was wondrous for me at first with all the discovering and challenges to look forward to, then you find out it's not all that different and you do pretty much the same thing over and over with the shallow combat system. I wouldn't have minded that if I didn't keep getting over powered with every class I chose.

I had to push myself in the end to get through all the big quests. Some were enjoyable, and I really liked going into Blackreach, but that's about it.

It's a very detailed game, but it is over-rated and I don't think I'll ever jump into it again.
Wow, that is exactly how it happened for me, and how I feel! At first I was all like; woot! and then I was like: meh. I "was" going to buy the DLC too, but I really don't want to play this game anymore. I was falling asleep while playing! lol. Who does that?

Itchi_da_killa

Jun 5, 2012
romxxii said:
Itchi_da_killa said:
I witnessed town guards kill dragons...
Never seen this myself, although it's a common enough complaint that people use mods for it. Myself, the only time I saw a young dragon get mobbed by townies is when I led one to the Mages Guild. At high enough levels, the dragons just run away after killing a guard or two.

Itchi_da_killa said:
The combat is so clumsy, that I feel like many boss fights are won by accident.
No it's not. With proper speccing, Skyrim combat can be very visceral. The problem is, most doofuses just equip double swords or a giant hammer, then wail away at the opponent while mashing the potion button. They don't use power attacks, don't use blocks or shield bashes, and they don't get the proper blocking feats.
No I did use a shield and war axe as my load-out. I was totally having fun bashing people with my shield and following with the axe. Then it wore off. I wouldn't say it was visceral. Mastering the timing involved in the parry and repost system in Dark Souls makes a visceral combat experience.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
Stavros Dimou said:
As you realize the ES series are gradually transitioning from pnpRPG simulators to action games. With Morrowind being the closest to pnpRPG simulation,Oblivion the middle ground,and Skyrim the closest to an Action video game.
This is the most accurate and succinct description of this series.

While I don't think it's "overrated", I do lament the loss of the deeper role playing elements that were found in "Morrowind" and "Oblivion".

Skyrim presents a beautiful and richly detailed world that you just want to explore. And yet, in doing so, you realize just how shallow it is.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
I com
Itchi_da_killa said:
First of all, I'm not trying to step on peoples toes here so please don't get too upset at me.

I will be honest; I'm not into the "dark age/ Tolkien'ish" fantasy RPG thing too much.
-but
My friends, and other people I know have been trying to get me to play Skyrim for a while now. So I finally tore myself away from Dark Souls, and made the plunge.
Well there's your problem, you're coming off a Dark Souls bender.

The most often cited problems for Skyrim are it's recycled assets and super lackluster combat mechanics. These can be hard to deal with coming off the silky smooth tactical combat of Dark Souls, doctor's recommendation is lowered expectations and possibly the use of a stealth/archer character to mitigate the combat shittiness as much as possible. When I first played Skyrim I wanted to make a vanilla nord with a great big sword. So Thryggvere was born, and she was suuuuuuuper boring. Quit her at lvl 23, next I made a dark elf ranger/thief and boom! suddenly I was having a great time sneaking around slitting throats and headshotting people in slow motion.

Unfortunately the recycled assets can't really be remedied except for modding, which since you mentioned you played the pc version too should really be the saving grace of this game for you. However, vanilla, unmodded skyrim can suck it. I put forth that Skyrim is a horrible exploration game because you always, always know what you will find. Oh a dwarven ruin, it'll probably have the exact same shit as the fifty other dwarven ruins in this game. Once again Dark Souls is head and shoulders above skyrim in this respect, with those tense, hostile, and most importantly UNIQUE dungeons. Do you remember the first time you discovered Ash Lake or the Daughter of Chaos? Of course, that stuff is awesome. If pressed I can't even really remember a memorable moment in a dungeon, maybe the fight against the leader of the thieves guild, it was . . . . okay, a bit too easy though, even on master.

I really like both these games but play them for completely different reasons, If I want a challenge, an adventure, and some really cool weapons (looking at you Grant) then I play Dark Souls.
I play Skyrim for the same reason I used to wander around in Red Dead, because I like random events and traveling in a well realized world. For as much as I love Dark Souls (hundreds of hours and all my save slots are full of characters) The game holds no surprises for me anymore, I got the platinum trophy, collected every item and upgraded every weapon or piece of armor. It's still my go to game when I want some real challenge that I can adjust minutely (yay for Dark Soul's self-selected difficulty) by doing sl 1 runs or not upgrading weapons or whatever.

They're different, they're both enjoyable games, but one of them is great and the other merely good.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Rule 1) Never get a Bestheda game on console. Ever.

Rule 2) Bestheda did get very cocky

Rule 3) The game is clumsily made and feels like it wasn't finished a lot of the time. This is a fault that can be corrected with mods, Bestheda made or otherwise. Refer to Rule 1)

Rule 4) It's daaaaaaaamn good-looking and good sounding. That level up jingle has been stuck in my head for a long time.

Rule 5) It's a gameplay oriented game. I don't really think many people cared about the plot. These guys hate these guys for trying to mix cultures, big fights, and that gets pushed out of the way to make room for dragons, which then gets pushed out of the way by bad gameplay because the dragons are complete pussies, ect, ect, ect.

Rule 6) You're not missing the point.

Rule 7) It's kinds overrated, considering it was just Bestheda needing something to spend Oblivion's money on.