Skyrim: Legendary Edition Strategy Guide Might Break Your Bookshelf

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Bloody hell.

I can almost guarantee that thing will be used as a weapon at some stage.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
Dr.Susse said:
Fifty bucks! That's pretty good value man.

I've paid more for far less of a book.
Though, I know some group of people somewhere will have something bad to say about it.
To be fair, Prima's strategy guides tend to vary in informational quality. For every good guide they drop (this, Oblivion, Jade Empire), there're at least 2 other guides that are either lacking in info (Banjo-Kazooie), misinforming (Ninja Gaiden Black), or flat out wrong (Ninja Gaiden 2). In regards to NG2 in particular, most of the strategies they detail for that game are either ineffective at best and fatal at worst, and I speak from experience.

In any event, once I get a little coffee table for my new apartment I think this will fit right nicely on it. :D

Edit: Had to tweak some wording there.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
It is a nice looking book but I don't see any reason to buy it when you can just use UESP for free. That's the thing with strategy guides, most popular series have well kept fan wikis there's no real reason to buy them other than preference for owning a book.

Now if Bethesda would release all the TES books in a hardback cover, that would interesting. And yes, I know about that one fan who did it with Oblivion books.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Seems like something I might want to get a hold of at some point. Just got Skyrim, haven't yet started it...

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
Yeah..... because I really need a 1000 page strategy guide for a game with shallow gameplay and a quest compass.

LightningBanks

Apr 15, 2009
I really want to get this just so I can put it on a golden altar in a dark room only lit by torches.

Though seeing a few stories about this hs re ignited my urge to want to actually get Skyrim. Hopefully alot of the ps3 related bugs are fixed in the legendary edition and I can get both the game and guide... jesus the game is cheaper than the guide.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Bethesda games are still one of those few games for which a guide is really a great buy.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
kypsilon said:
Still not as big as the collected Calvin and Hobbes.
You have the Calvin and Hobbes collection too? :D

I always feel pretty classy reading from one of the books. But they're so big and bulky so I don't read from them often. XD

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
1337mokro said:
I never got the whole strategy guide thing.

To me it looks like buying a puzzle and then buying a step by step instruction book for it. Where is the fun in that?!
I don't know. For me, it was a way for me to experience the game without actually playing it. When I was little, I would buy strategy guides to my favorite games and take them everywhere I went practically. Sure, I would know what was coming up in a game, but back then, knowing how to do something and actually being able to do it were two different things for me. I might know how to beat a boss, but I probably wouldn't be skilled enough to actually beat him. At least not on the first try.

Also, I just loved looking at the various screenshots of the game and also reading on the lore or background of the game that some guides would add.

Now-a-days, with the internet, if I was stuck on something I could just look up GameFaqs and if I wanted to experience the game again when I'm not playing it, I would just go to Youtube. So yeah, guides are kinda redundant now in those aspects and I don't buy them anymore.

Still though, guides were a pretty big part of my gaming childhood. And I'll always hold a soft spot for them.

kypsilon

May 16, 2010
scorptatious said:
kypsilon said:
Still not as big as the collected Calvin and Hobbes.
You have the Calvin and Hobbes collection too? :D

I always feel pretty classy reading from one of the books. But they're so big and bulky so I don't read from them often. XD
I don't think I've ever read from them but only because I can't get the books out of the hardcover box they come in. They're also on a shelf that doesn't have enough vertical spacing for me to tip them forwards and they're so damned heavy and..and...sigh...

I imagine this is why wizards faded into myth, their spell books were unwieldy like the Calvin and Hobbes collection. :p