Skyrim Made My Wife Cry.

Fugitive Panda

Jan 21, 2011
The only game I ever recall making me cry was FFXI. Yes, the online one, is that cheating?

Pretty much every friend you make online if eventually going to leave you, if you don't leave first. After a good friend got perma-banned from the game for no reason and our whole group fell apart, that hit me like a sack of cermet.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Most recently, InFamous 2, both endings made me weep, but...

The evil ending in which, not only does the main character, Cole, have to kill his best friend, the only person that has stuck with him through thick and thin, but you the player have to press the button, to do the deed!

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
Yes, there were a few games that were able to tug on my heartstrings. I'll mention the most recent one, which is Shadow of the Colossus.

What I'm about to tell does contain incredibly huge spoilers, so proceed with caution.
As most of you probably know, shadow of the colossus is about a boy that travels to the forbidden lands with a corpse of a girl, which, according to him, died a wrongful death. He asks of the gods to bring her back, to which the gods respond with a request. That request is that he kills 16 colossi that roam the forbidden lands in return for the resurrection of the girl.

That's pretty all we get to hear until the very ending, seeing as there is no single line of dialogue that adds to the plot. For some reason though, I grew ridiculously attached to the main character and his trusty steed Agro as we traveled the completely barren land in search of colossi.

As I spent time with the two, as we conquered one obstacle after another, I became attached to them. His quest slowly started becoming my quest. His horse turned into my horse. I wanted them succeed, be able to bring the girl back to life, because he apparently has incredibly strong feelings for her. But the game never gave me the regular feeling you'd expect from such a tale.

The forbidden lands were devoid of all life (except for a few small lizards), which gave off the feeling of loneliness, of isolation. After every colossus battle, instead of an action-based win-theme, you get a somewhat sad theme, as if it was telling you that you weren't on a righteous quest. After each battle, your body deteriorates, until the very last battle, after which you can barely move.

Then comes the ending. A bunch of villagers have gotten to the shrine where the dead girl rests and where the main character gets his missions. They reminded me of the same villagers that locked up little kids to die a lonely death because of their appearance in Ico, so I immediately felt some hatred for them. They tell the main character that his actions were wrong and try to murder him. The gods he helped borrow his body and turned him into the final colossi, in order to survive their attacks. The villagers escape your grasp however and open a portal to lock back in the gods you just freed.

Now, the scene that got to me was the following. As they opened the gate, some powerful force started pulling you, the colossus, in. The music you heard during the downfall of every colossus starts playing. As the portal is trying to suck you in, the colossus form disappears and you turn into your normal self, which is still getting pulled into the portal. He reaches out for the girl, screaming her name from afar, after which they give you the controls.
And you know what you can do to escape from its grasp? Nothing. As you try to run away from the portal, it just starts pulling you back in. You try your best to reach the girl, which has been brought back to life (probably), you're so close to succeeding, yet so far. All you can do is delay the inevitable.

It doesn't end there and quite a few other stuff happen after this, but this scene is what got me. I have never seen a more gripping ending to a game, ever.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
I will now quote something from a very similar thread in another forum:

I think there should be a rule in this thread against listing any section from Homeworld. Not because it doesn't deserve a mention (it most certainly does) but because it's so obvious it doesn't even need to be mentioned.

So other than The Obvious, I'll go with several parts from Halo 3. I always feel very emotional during the final cutscene and end credits, for several reasons. The [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4BmVdBD0Iw&feature=related] music [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPyNSQ2BuJ8] is obviously a part of this (Halo 3's soundtrack is so successful on so many levels, and the same goes for the rest of the series), but the cutscene itself is very emotional, being a memorial service to all the billions of people who have died in the huge war. There are photos plastered onto the memorial, of the bravest soldiers - and there's a little 117 scraped into it, too. It's the only recognition John-117 can ever receive, because under UNSC laws, you're not allowed to acknowledge the death of a Spartan - they're always just "missing in action". And during the end credits, the camera is rolling over the sparse African terrain, with these beautiful mountains (lit by the setting sun, as clichéd as that sounds) in the background.

Of course, you then find out that Chief is still alive... but how long is he going to be out there, in deep space? Hundreds of years is my guess. Well, unless Halo 4 is good enough for me to accept it as canon.

After that, even the main menu can make me feel emotional (in it, the camera flies along an old, broken road, with Covenant ships circling in the distance, a full-on fleet of them just about visible in the further distance, the Dreadnought standing in the middle of the massive Forerunner pit, and the Banshees flying overhead on patrol). Especially when this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyDZscyf8lU] or this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TMhVqz7Alc] begins to play. There's this serene, slightly terrifying beauty about the whole scene, and at times, it makes me feel very sad (or maybe "weary" is a better word, but it sounds too melodramatic). Here's Earth, our crown jewel, and it's in tatters - and the Covenant just do not care. You can just barely hear the plasma beams they're using to clear the dirt off their precious Forerunner metal, and sometimes I've felt like I could sit there forever, watching them.

Even the multiplayer maps (which, as I've said once or twice before on these forums, I like to look around, as they contain great passive storytelling and atmosphere) can make me feel emotions ranging from awe, to sadness, to mystery, occasionally even slight fear. A favourite of mine is Orbital, which is set in a space station - a port, to be exact, where you can embark to other planets. You can look out of the window and see Earth, in all its beautiful glory, below you. Little clusters of white clouds hanging over the landmasses, the sun shining off the sea. Apparently, there's an algae bloom going on. You can see the grey blur of the huge cities, too, nestling by the coast. Inside the station itself, there are displays, with destinations on them - other planets. Some flights are listed as "delayed", which always makes me tear up a bit. They're not delayed. We all know what's really happened to those flights - to those planets, even. Earth is the last one left - and despite all the times the game shows you what's happened to Earth in the campaign, it's always the view from that window which makes me remember "this is what we're fighting for" more than anything else, to borrow a clichéd phrase. Is it sad that a game (a "generic shooter", no less) is inspiring these sorts of emotions in me? Maybe, or maybe games are just maturing as an art form. People say Halo has no subtlety, sometimes. I can never be bothered to refute them, but I disagree - and always will.

Jack Rascal

May 16, 2011
Rawne1980 said:
Narfi ... The begger Narfi?

If it's the begger, you get a contract to kill him from the Dark Brotherhood.... I didn't realise he had a story, I just stuck an arrow in his face
I had the same as you.

I cut his throat from behind... Feel kinda bad now. I wonder if the other two that were included in the first contract had similar stories. One of them had house but the other lived beside a river. Oh well, I'm happy with my Dark Brotherhood family, except that they are much ruder than in Oblivion. I haven't killed enough to earn their respect...

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
Wow, pretty interesting, man.

For me, I very very nearly cried at the end of MGS3 when you have to pull the trigger on The Boss. Her speech, the setting, the music, everything leant itself to me nearly crying my eyes out. I was certainly welling up.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
AugustFall said:
Hmmm, now I'm curious cause I did this quest and nothing of note really happened. I'm definitely replaying this game a few times.

Edit: Also you woke your wife up to tell her about your videogame and she was fine with that? Kudos sir.
That's the dream. Also a wife that's willing to dress up as Miranda from Mass Effect 2 the night of your birthday.

OT: I didn't click the spoiler-majig, and I've no idea who Narfi is, as I'm not that far in the game (taking it slow).

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
the false ending to lunar 2 was a pretty strong scene for me. fortunately, there's an epilogue afterwards that allows you to remedy the situation, much to my relief.
i didn't know about that beforehand, so i thought the false ending was the real ending, and it was a pretty traumatic revelation.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
A moral choice system that CAN'T be broken down to "good" and "bad"? They've finally gotten it right.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
There's been quite a few tearjerker moments in gaming for me but right now can only think of 2 examples:

Bioshock: I'm not the biggest fan of this game but there is 1 point that really got to me. Had been playing for a few hours now and had fallen into the typical fps mode of being a desentized killing machine, slaughtering any slicer that dared to cross my path without second thoughts.
After yet another killing spree I check the aftermatch of the carnage, im a large kinda dining room if i recall with view over the ocean, when I see figures moving in the dark, i instinctivly get out my lightning plasmid as floor was full of water.

I get a closer look and dancing elegantly around the wet ruined floor of what used to be the main dining area, was a splicer couple completely oblivious to my presence or what i had done to their buddies 5 metres away. They just danced and amidst all the horror of their setting, blocked it all out and focused only on each other. Made me really go dawwww and though there seemed to have been good items next to them, chose to not get close so as to not risk drawing any possible aggro, left them to dance happily to their hearts content.

Kingdom heart 2: Hate this game overall for a few personal reasons, but the beginning of the game really made me :( What i thought would be the new protagonist discovers his entire life and everything knew as well as friends and ppl he cared about, were all fake, pure illusion.
And just as he realizes this his existence is a lie, gets snuffed out (he goes back into being soras conscious or w/e.... i seriously cant follow the kh plot). It was really cruel i thought and put me into bad spirits for starting the game as would rather have continued this guys story instead (if i recall he does get an epilogue at the end of the game, but was a case of too little too late for me).

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
In Bastion, if you choose to carry Wulf followed by the fantastic end credits song. Tried so hard not to weep.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
That's pretty cool how she can react differently. I still haven't figured out how to get a wife yet, though

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
HigherTomorrow said:
saintdane05 said:
During Animal Crossing, I accidentally insulted one of the neighbors, Prince the Frog. I cried the rest of the day.
I know the feeling man. Wounds like these never heal, they just fade a little bit.
This post is even more hilarious after looking at your avatar. Just wanted to say that.

Anyway, most games don't make me 'cry' per se, but some games have had emotional impacts on me. I mean, Ocarina of Time when I was younger was pretty crazy, (but I was like 8 years old, like, cried-at-the-brave-little-toaster age) but games like Ico, Kingdom Hearts II, FFX tend to at least somewhat confuse my Tribes/Mechwarrior/Warhammer playing side into thinking that it's sad, but never to the point of actual tears.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Knusper said:
That's pretty cool how she can react differently. I still haven't figured out how to get a wife yet, though
There's apparently someone who gives you a neckalce in a temple somewhere that you use to propose, basically, iirc. I still haven't found it either, but that's ok. I'm far too busy being Dovahkiin to be tied down right now. Besides, these female Bosmir fire mage corpses aren't going to lewdly manipulate themselves.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
It would seem to be, but I did his quest first, but he still begged for his life when I came back as a follower of Sithis.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
I can't actually say that a videogame has ever succeeded in making me cry... I'm certainly not saying that to be tough though, cos I watched Mao's Last Dancer last night and I was bawling like a baby at the end. =P

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Have yet to be moved by tears. I did hate losing Chrono though in Chrono Trigger. Dammit, I identified with that one!