Jan 17, 2009
lacktheknack said:
dogstile said:
lacktheknack said:
dogstile said:
Azuaron said:
The things people will buy...

Seraj said:
Also, change the title, its a little misleading...( Maybe Skyrim map app gets DLC? )
Or possibly "Skyrim map gets an app".
Indeed, I went into this expecting something completely different.

Either way, for shame devs!
The devs didn't do it.

Prima Strategy Guides did it.

Clearly, they're getting really desperate.
I meant the devs of the app :p
Ah. Well, this is awkward.
No worries chap, happens to us all

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Gotta love Escapist sensationalist titles that have nothing to do with the actual content of the article.

This is stupid. Why would anyone want to pay to look at the map of Skyrim outside the game?

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
One word - Thundercaugarfalconbird.

Sorry I meant Mods. Mod makers already made stuff like this, and it's free, plus Steam Works is up now so it should just be a little installation procedure.

I hope no one pays them any money.

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
Or download the free mods which will be far better and have been out for months *facepalm*.

Though this does show how DLC will struggle to get the PC market as the mod community is free and far more competent than many of the devs nowadays.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
Seraj said:
OT: If idiots buy the Skyrim guide/walkthrough book, they'll probably buy this. I'll stick to the wikia, thanks.
you sir have offended me
>:[ don't go assuming that just idiots buy the guidebooks

I bought one and i am not an idiot I like being able to access info while playing which I can not do with the wiki, I would have to save exit look up the info and then reload skyrim which would be a pain in the ass and no I cant just minimize skyrim as I have tried that and it always freaks out and freezes

granted I did shop around for my book and got a discount by buying a copy with a torn cover from my toys r us

I-Protest-I

Nov 7, 2009
Cut the title shit Escapist, you're looking more like The Daily Mirror you seem to love to disparage with them.

djAMPnz

Dec 21, 2011
Meh, I prefer just to find the locations the old fashioned way, by wandering across them or getting directions from characters in the game. This seems to defeat the purpose of having a big open world to 'explore'.

moonlantern

Sep 20, 2010
I was all excited for some kinda new map stuff and then "app for iOS"... D:

All I have is a TracFone. ) :

Edit: I have Skyrim for Xbox 'cause my computer sucks. So no mods for me.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Alternatively use the in-game map! It's free with the game...! And of you want to find a place that is not on your map yet, then how do you know of the place? Can't you just use the guide you read it off to find it?

But I also agree... seriously, if you have to, just use google! :/

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
JuliusMagnus said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Absolute waste of money. People have, and will make and host maps for their favourite games for free.
'Make'?

Surely you jest. I think you meant 'pirate' the game map.
I'm fucking confused. What on Earth is that post trying to say?

I'm tempted to think that you're making a joke about companies taking down anything remotely related to their product, but Bethesda has never done that in the past.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Im sorry but if you buy this then you should not be allowed to spend money unless you write a 1000 word essay on why what you just did is less financially advisable than burning money.

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
I could see a lot of people buying this for convenience, 'cause there definitely are those out there who don't have a laptop, a PC nearby when playing Skyrim (assuming they play it on the console), etc. etc.

I, however, won't even consider it 'cause hey, I've got a laptop and I'm not afraid to use it.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Another article wherein the writer uses sensationalism to troll the net for a higher view count.

I've recently started going elsewhere more than here, and I think I may well just ignore this site entirely soon enough. The other site offers cheaper membership and vastly improved rewards, including the ability to actually go to regular parties with the staff. They don't report news this way, either. (Obviously I won't name that site.)

Eye-catching titles will get you views for a bit. They'll also teach readers to ignore what you say.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
So.. pay for something... that is free on the Internet and completely legal?

Labcoat Samurai

Feb 4, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Labcoat Samurai said:
1) Misleading headline
2) Microtransaction app that provides something you can get for free, anyway.
3) Article presents this as though it is an impressive development feat and something you would want.

A cynic might be tempted to conclude that The Escapist has a financial motivation for publishing this story...
Wat

I guess it's true. People simply are unable to conceive that sarcasm exists online. I'm guessing you don't read Grey Carter's articles often, do you?
I don't read articles on the escapist very often at all. I tend to find them sensationalist, more weighted toward speculation than content, and prone to editorialize prematurely.

But as to this specific article, if that was satire, it was played too straight. Without more context about the author, it's entirely believable that a person could be so naive.

Or maybe I'm just unable to conceive that sarcasm exists online. That's an equally plausible explanation.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
evilneko said:
Now why would I bother with this when soon enough, uesp.net will have a Google-powered map for Skyrim just like other ones. And in the meantime, I can type in location names, or use other maps.
Agreed. Last time I checked, UESP loads just fine on my iPad.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
*shrugs* There's always a market for this kind of stuff.

"Oooh! All of Skyrim's locations at once! All of 'em! Now I don't need to actually play the game or rely on the fact that starting a quest shows me where I need to go anyway, or that the Radiant quests are going to reveal the smaller dungeons or caves for me anyway to know where I have to go!

I don't even need to cheat! TMM is for losers! Paying money for something extraneous and useless totally rocks my socks!"

It happened with Minecraft, too (crafting recipes in a catalog you could browse and bare-bones El Cheapo survival advice), it certainly happened with WoW and it'll happen for many more things to come.

People enjoy burning money for stupid shit like this. Using your iPhone while you're gaming is *edgy* and shit.