Skyrim newgame

dragsaw

Oct 16, 2011
So im starting a new game foe dawnguard but thats not the point of this, what im asking for is what to play as (race and..er class to speak) and any fun challenges like shouting a dragon to death

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Shouting? heh, try punching, youtube that stuff, its hilarious.
Go try and punch a Dragon priest in the jaw, that's a good challenge, or a giant, Right in the lapland.

Most people be a Nord or something, why not try being a Khajit or argonian? if you become a vampire they look so cool! :3

also try doing sword and shield, or just bow, or maybe the roguish double knife! and only upgrade light armor? Too many people try and find the heaviest, largest two-handed sword they can find and that's them done.

Oh or be solely a Hand-to-hand combat necromancer!

Ruedyn

Jun 29, 2011
You could try what I did, pacifist run. No killing except Alduin, cause contractual obligations and shit. If you ry it, I'd suggest either High elf or Breton, and choose the thief standing stone.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Depends what you've done and which version you have. I liked the shouty orc warrior using Thuumic but the stealthy high elf mage was also pretty fun, at least in the early game before the balance of magic went out of whack.

dragsaw

Oct 16, 2011
Rack said:
Depends what you've done and which version you have. I liked the shouty orc warrior using Thuumic but the stealthy high elf mage was also pretty fun, at least in the early game before the balance of magic went out of whack.
Thuumic? sounds neat il have to look in that, and mods as well (will the work with dawnguard or will the mod need to be updated?

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
Playing an illusionist is always fun. Why fight when you can sit back and watch enemies do it for you?

Micromyni

Jan 26, 2012
I was pretty standard, a stealth archer. I preferred to kill by pickpocketing poisons into the enemy's pockets.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Orc Sneak Thief. Hard to do but pays off after a few levels.
Pacifist runs are also quite good. In that I also include non direct kills, which means kills by companions and summoned creatures are fine.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
dragsaw said:
Rack said:
Thuumic? sounds neat il have to look in that, and mods as well (will the work with dawnguard or will the mod need to be updated?
It is neat, sadly it was abandoned so the Dawnguard shouts aren't included. Honestly it's a bit of a faff and doesn't work perfectly but it does make using shouts much more interesting.

Edit: Ahem, link.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/5626

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Necromantic Illusionist Assassin. Nothing quite like getting your victim to kill themselves by getting them into a frenzy and having them fight their allies or using the dead to fight on my behalf.

I'm currently running with this build as an imperial (early game use of Voice of the Emperor), it's pretty funny actually.

Say I sneak into a cave of bandits. I will proceed directly to the chieftain (using a combination of muffle and invisibility to remain undetected), calm him and slit his throat (Sneak Perk Assassins blade + Shrouded gloves = 30x backstab damage with daggers... Also using Mehrunes Razor for random chance to instakill), then I resurrect his corpse to kill off his fellow bandits.

The only problem is my character is like glass. Pretty much any 2 handed melee character above level 20 can kill me in one non-powered swing and high level archers and mages can obliterate me in a single shot. So I rely heavily on the sneak skill to avoid detection, Illusion to do most of the damage and conjuration to create distractions.

That said, despite the fact I have a bounty of well over 5000 in both the Haafinger and Whiterun Holds, I have not once been arrested or killed by the guards.

The only grief in the early game was dealing with Daedra, Dwarven Animunculi and the undead (particularly Vampires), since direct illusion spells don't work on them until I reached level 90 in the illusion skill and got the Perk "Master of the Mind".

My Fondest memory of that build was getting assaulted by a dozen city guards in whiterun after I botched an assassination. I cast a aoe Frenzy spell (Mayhem?) and then cast invisibility and proceeded to escaped as the ENTIRE CITY OF WHITERUN rioted. Ended up losing a dozen store owners in process. It was funny as shit, but I had to reload a save because I essentially made Whiterun a ghost town (bar a few essential npcs).

theblindedhunter

Jul 8, 2012
Khajiit melee build.
Focus on heavy armor and enchanting and you should be able to get heavy gauntlets of the pugilist, and ~60+ unarmed damage?* I'm still unclear on how the bonuses to armor rating effect that, but I know it is what I want to try next time I start a new character.

*A bit of research says that unfortunately none of the bonuses change what is added to your melee damage, so the max you can get from the Khajiit claws and Fists of Steel is 33 damage. The Fortify Unarmed Damage enchantment will give you however much you can enchant it with, so I imagine with a strong skill you could probably still get 60+ in the end.

Jackalb

Dec 31, 2009
Play as a female troll rogue, freak the shit out if wizards throw fire at you and murder their family.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
A few suggestions:

Orc heavy armour+Blunt weapons is always fun. Smashing your way through anything. Combine with enchanting, armourer, and restoration for ridiculous armour buffs and the ability to shrug off hits with a quick restoration spell (this does require a little investment into magicka away from the health and stamina, but if you only plan on using restoration, it shouldn't be too great a drain).

Stealthy archer. Play if you want to be able to break the game and make it your *****. At first you'll feel a little underpowered (it shouldn't hurt too much to invest a little in one handed weapons, as to give you something to fall back on when the enemy closes in). Invest in illusion to become even better at sneaking, invest in conjuration for handy distractions, and invest in pickpocket/lockpicking if you wish to be a theif. Wood elves seem to best suited to this, but with enough investment, any race could become this unstoppable arrow-flinger. One of the great things about this is you can add your own spins pretty freely, as all you really need to invest in is sneak and archery, leaving you a lot of space to customize as you see fit.

If you plan on playing as mage, start as something with magic skill boosts, for gods sake. At early levels, magic is pretty hard to wield on it's own, such is it's reliance on magicka, and the relative weakness next to simple melee skills. It's rewarding and in depth, though. High elves are the best for this. Dark elves are good for sneaky types with magic thrown in, especially destruction. Bretons are good for adaptability, and Redguard can make for surprisingly good battlemages, as they come with buffs for one handed/sheild, and destruction.

Hope it helps!

EDIT: By the way, if you're planning on getting dawnguard, find somewhere out of towns to sleep, don't enter towns at night unless you have to. Vampires get in towns at night. You can kill them, but only if you're there. I've had vamps come in on the other side of whiterun from me and kill belethor. Usually, you can save people with a bit of savegame time travel, but it's best not to take the risk of losing valuable merchants and NPCs.

Roroshi14

Dec 3, 2009
I'm doin a Khajit assassin who only uses his claws and super sneak wearing heavy armor. its very challenging but its fun. I say try it.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
One of my favourite things to do in a second run-through of an RPG is to base my character on someone from a TV show or movie or book or whatever. It's always fun thinking 'what would X do in this situation' as oppossed to what I'd do myself.

It can get pretty interesting. Especially if it's a character who you don't like for certain reasons.

EDIT:
Alternativly, follow these instructions:
and be a fucking unarmed viking badass.

It may not work if you don't have a viking accent to begin with.

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
Insane orc prisoner escapee, steal everyhting that's not nailed down and only use a shank, sneaky would be cool. I tired that for a while but kinda killed lots of people for looking at me wrong and then wasn't really welcome back in any of the towns and I refuse to go back to prison!