Skyrim: Now With Real Shouting

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Skyrim: Now With Real Shouting

An enterprising Youtuber has jury rigged Skyrim to work with the Kinect and voice commands. The result? Excellence.

Alright, before we start, there may be some references to kicking and leg joints in general in this article, so why don't you scroll down and get all of those "arrow in the knee" references out of your system before we start. All done? Good.

Youtube user KinectFAAST, known for adding Kinect support to all manner of PC games, has worked his particular brand of magic on Skyrim. As demonstrated in the video to the right, character orientation and movement are controlled by the left arm and right foot respectively. Crouching, jumping and sheathing/unsheathing your weapons are handled via some fairly intuitive gestures, but we all know that's not why you're reading this. I'll put you out of your misery, yes, there are voice commands. Yes, you can activate dragon shouts by screaming them out like a boss.

Honestly, as impressive as the Kinect controls are, I'm more intrigued by the voice commands. Calling out equipment, spell names and dragon shouts is far more elegant and natural than using Skyrim's rather sluggish favorites system. The setup in the video uses the existing 1-8 hotkeys, each activated by a predetermined phrase. The downside is that the system takes some wrangling to setup, and will require adjustment each time you change your hotkey loadout. The upside is you can, with a little bit of work, fight dragons by screaming expletives at them. Sold.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Gotta love how Grey never misses a chance to bring down the hammer of judgement on people who endlessly repeat memes.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
uguito-93 said:
Gotta love how Grey never misses a chance to bring down the hammer of judgement on people who endlessly repeat memes.
Because it's deliciously hypocritical?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Grey Carter said:
uguito-93 said:
I used to be a hypocrite, but then I wasn't.

What?

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Grey Carter said:
uguito-93 said:
I used to make arrow in the knee jokes, but then... *cough*

Neat vid, would be cool to see a polished version that wasn't all "WOAH HEY AIM HERE. NO NOT THERE, RIGHT HERE. FUCKING GAME AIM WHERE I TELL YOU. Ok good, now use this... I SAID... OMG I AM ALMOST DEAD..."

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Stubee said:
Ive seen that guys videos before. They look completely fake to me and have seen no evidence to prove otherwise.
Can you tell from some of the pixels?

Here's video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKuqwVjy82g] of his set up for Morrowind, showing the FAAST program running in the background.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
Okay interesting. Yet I still favor my controller x3
As awesome as this is, it's just not good for my playstyle.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Grey Carter said:
The result?
Ummmmmmmmmmm... Judging by the amount of times i enter my inventory/hour it would be nothing less than visit in my own purgatorium. :|

UnderevolvedPrimape

Dec 17, 2010
That is pretty damn cool, although I think he missed an opportunity for a little Fus Ro Dah action.. just think, he could then claim to actually shout things to death. No idea how you would configure his program to do more than the basic shout in a controlled fashion though.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I used to find the 'arrow in the knee' meme amusing, then I took an arrow in the knee..

And ugh.. this only reminds me why I remain unimpressed by motion controls. That looks enormously annoying to use, though I suppose using it to control one particular function (dragon shouts, of course) could be fun in gimmicky way.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Grey Carter said:
uguito-93 said:
As I believe you once said "When I do it it's satire".

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
It looks like it works well, and even though aiming a bow with kinect is harder it is probably more fun and interesting. The combat and inventory management(not the menu part) also look fun to use. The huge problem is still the movement, leaning my body to the side and put one foot forward is not fun at all.

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
It actually looks pretty damn good, I must say =p. Maybe in a generation or two this kinect thing will be something wroth investing in. For now I don't even own an xbox...

Due to this thread I've now heard the arrowtotheknee joke 7 times. I feel that whole thing has passed me by, I don't find it annoying at all =3. Maybe I need to spend more time on the internet... Or not, and so I'll avoid being annoyed by endlessly repeated memes (all of which are endlessly repeated and extremely overused, as is the trend with all memes).

NathLines

May 23, 2010
I dunno. I should think that this is awesome, but this looks like an extremely boring way to play the game. However, being able to shout "FUS RO DAH!" at my screen is something I can get behind.

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
NathLines said:
I dunno. I should think that this is awesome, but this looks like an extremely boring way to play the game. However, being able to shout "FUS RO DAH!" at my screen is something I can get behind.
Pretty much sums up how I feel about it. I'd only use Kinect for Dragon Shouts. (I'd add the mod that the louder you shout, the stronger the shout is ^_^;)

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
This is awesome from a tweaky hacky point of view, but I don't get how controlling your avatar by vocalising and physically exaggerating commands at it makes the experience more immersive, cos to me it would be less so... Still, yelling FUS! And having that happen is sweet :D

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
I wonder what the neighbours think of it when they keep hearing shouts of "FUS RO DA!" every two minutes.

Either way, that's one hell of a mod, but I hope he doesn't annoy his neighbours too much with it. :D

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
That is some really slow response times. It seems incredibly laggy and slow. I could get all sorts of things off and keep moving in the time it takes him to do very basic stuff.