Skyrim on steam

cybran

Jun 15, 2010
the newest elder scrolls game everyone is so hyped about (including myself)
was recently released on steam for pre-purchase.

So this will be the first elder scrolls game that will be on steam from the start.
Meaning, the retail version might also need steam to install and play.

Now.

Alot of people dont like DRM, althought steam's drm isnt very harsh, you do have an offline mode etc, but you might need an internet connection anyway to install it.

SO, do you think this will hurt the sales ? or do you think it will increase sales, seeing as steam is easy to use and easy access for already-steam-users ?

Cenequus

Jan 31, 2011
Why would the retail version need Steam? That would be pretty stupid. You're messing a bit the facts i guess.

Won't increase sales atleast in the first 2-3 months(when it counts) but after that when it will come to sales it will probably increase them by alot. Also I'm not a Steam junkie so I don't know if Steam conflicts with modding since it's DRM but i guess it wouldn't since Bethesda supports that directly.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Sadly a lot of the details are still missing on it, DRM, minimum system requirements etc. Any word if this will have GFWL in it?

Depending on how Moddable it is I may buy it retail instead so any future game enhancements released by modders will be usable, last I remember OBSE wouldn't work with steam.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Won't make any difference to most of us.

Those of us that don't use steam already know how to get around installing games that supposedly need it.

I'm a big modder, one of the main reasons I love games like Oblivion and Fallout 3/NV (even if 3 was a pain in the arse to mod).

Modding alters files and adds to them in a massive way and a lot of us would rather not have to deal with steam when we do that.

Steam may or may not cause an issue on that front however I like to be in total control of my games so just prefer not to use it. If I wanted convenience and ease of use I wouldn't be modding things.

Phas

Nov 8, 2010
Cenequus said:
Why would the retail version need Steam? That would be pretty stupid. You're messing a bit the facts i guess.
Especially since New Vegas' retail version didn't need steam to play.

Doomdiver

Mar 30, 2009
synobal said:
Sadly a lot of the details are still missing on it, DRM, minimum system requirements etc. Any word if this will have GFWL in it?

Depending on how Moddable it is I may buy it retail instead so any future game enhancements released by modders will be usable, last I remember OBSE wouldn't work with steam.
Actually Steam altered their install slightly to allow for OBSE. So I have high hopes that they will allow modding from the start on Skyrim.

cybran

Jun 15, 2010
synobal said:

I doubt the game will have GFWL. BEcause then it would have said so on the steam store page. And it doesnt at the moment.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
I doubt it will need Steam to run if you get the retail version.

I also doubt that Steam would hurt it's sales at all. The game is going to sell like crazy regardless.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
I'd prefer to have the box anyway, not like the shops are very far away.
New games on Steam are more expensive than in stores.

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
Cenequus said:
A lot of games need steam, even for the retail versions. Mount & Blade: Warband, Audiosurf, Duke Nukem Forever... Although with M&B it's possible to get around steam, but it takes a little extra work.

I really hope it doesn't. I'd still buy it eventually, but it would piss me off.

Cenequus

Jan 31, 2011
Llil said:
Cenequus said:
A lot of games need steam, even for the retail versions. Mount & Blade: Warband, Audiosurf, Duke Nukem Forever... Although with M&B it's possible to get around steam, but it takes a little extra work.

I really hope it doesn't. I'd still buy it eventually, but it would piss me off.
Lol didn't knew that...and people ***** about Origin.

mornal

Aug 19, 2009
From my experience with New Vegas it did require Steam to play, when I put the disc in it booted up Steam. Modding was extremely easy, the hardest part is finding the folders to install in. I'd say there were mods up in a few days after release (sooner if you count the ones that were just ported from Fallout 3). Also NVSE, the New Vegas edition of the script extender, works perfectly.

I see no reason to worry about Skyrim being on Steam. And for people without solid internet, (speaking with no experience with patchy internet connection) can't you just install from the disk when you have the connection (for registering and validating) and then go into offline mode for playing?