Skyrim Premium Edition Appears on Amazon.de - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Skyrim Premium Edition Appears on Amazon.de - UPDATED

The word in Germany is that a goodies-laden Skyrim "Premium Edition" is coming in December.

Skyrim is already available in standard and collectors editions (although the collectors edition is probably in pretty short supply at this point), but in case that's not enough to satisfy your faux-Viking jones, it looks like yet another new edition is on the way. Amazon.de has a listing for a Skyrim "Premium Edition," slated for release in December.

The Premium Edition will include, along with the game, a map of the world, a t-shirt emblazoned with the Seal of Akatosh, an Elder Scrolls novel with a title that Google translates into Hell City, six concept art postcards and a bonus disc, playable on PCs, that features background material, trailers, a five-song soundtrack and what sounds like a digital version of the official Skyrim strategy guide.

What isn't clear, along with certain aspects of the Google translation, is whether the Premium Edition will include the Dawnguard and/or Hearthfire DLC. We dropped a line to Bethesda to ask about that and whether this thing will see a release outside of Germany - it's not currently listed on Amazon.com - and thus far, we haven't heard back. We'll update if and when we do.

UPDATE: As promised, here's the update with information provided to us by Bethesda. The Skyrim Premium Edition will apparently only be released in Benelux, Germany and the U.K., the novel (as someone else pointed out) is actually The Infernal City in English and neither Dawnguard nor Hearthfire will be included. Not a terrible deal if you don't already have Skyrim, in other words, but hardly a must-buy if you do.

Source: Amazon.de [http://www.amazon.de/Elder-Scrolls-Skyrim-Premium/dp/B009X9QP8A/ref=sr_1_74?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1351309136&sr=1-74]

Snowblindblitz

Apr 30, 2011
The book is "The Infernal City".

I think it might have some relevance to the next announced DLC, but I won't really know since I have a PS3 and all that jazz.

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Interesting, coming on the 7th of November, eh? Same as the Mass Effect N7 edition.
Amazon info says nothing about the DLC, I reckon it wont be included. Only reads: Along with the award winning game you'll get, T-shirt, DVD with trailers, 600 page guide and so on.
I doubt It will be Germany only though, couldn't imagine why.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
My German's shoddy as hell, but it looks like they're claiming it's "The Seal of the Emperor", not Akatosh. (In Large)

A map, concept art post cards, The Infernal City (no clue if that's digital or not)...

But, as Mojo said, no mention of the DLC whatsoever.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
"faux-Viking jones"

Hey, Jormung?
Yes Haarkil
You seen that new Viking in the village. Goes by the name Skyrim Premium.

Just a new box of shinnies for those with money to burn. *Shrugs*.

Shadow-Fox

Nov 11, 2009
2 things that i want to point out, since the article seems to have gotten slightly wrong. I'm german so i can at least read exactly what the amazon page tells us even if my attempts to relay this information might sound a bit off to you.

1. The bonus content disc isnt exclusive to the pc version of this edition. The asterisk tagged line just says that the cd can only be run on a PC, so it will be included in the console versions as well.
2. as far as the description on the amazon entry goes no DLC will be included (so its not just unclear due to the reliability of google translate). It is not even hinted at here and wouldnt expect any store to give you more for your money than what was promised in advance.

And how come you people couldnt find anyone to properly translate this for you or at least scan it for the information most relevant to you?
seriously people, i understand not everyone can be a native speaker but basing your journalism solely on google translate seems a bit lackluster to me.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Reselling the same shit.

This is something that should've been a pre-order only edition not several bloody months down the line.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
mad825 said:
Reselling the same shit.

This is something that should've been a pre-order only edition not several bloody months down the line.
It doesn't even make sense from the publisher's side. Anyone enthusiastic enough to pay the extra money for the additional stuff, probably already bought the game.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
Doom972 said:
mad825 said:
Reselling the same shit.

It doesn't even make sense from the publisher's side. Anyone enthusiastic enough to pay the extra money for the additional stuff, probably already bought the game.
I'm not sure of the point behind this either. I might well have got this at launch, but the guide is pretty useless this long after launch, and I already have the game.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Did 'the germans' ever get a proper release of Skyrim?

I mean, the country is REALLY REALLY anal about video game violence and all that jazz.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
The big standout for me is that t-shirt. I won't buy the game a second time way down the road to get it, but I do want it.

EDIT: And minutes later I learned that I can't google properly...

I'd rather have this.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Mr.Tea said:
Starke said:
My German's shoddy as hell, but it looks like they're claiming it's "The Seal of the Emperor", not Akatosh. (In Large)

Akatosh is a god whose avatar is a dragon and a depiction of him is the symbol of the Empire.

[img_inline caption='Pitcured: Akatosh' align='left' width=200 src=http://allanh143.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/akatosh01.jpg]
Yes, I am quite familiar. I'm also positive that "Kaiserreichs" doesn't translate to "Akatosh". I'm not 100% sure if it would be Emperor or Empire, but either way.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Snowblindblitz said:
The book is "The Infernal City".

I think it might have some relevance to the next announced DLC, but I won't really know since I have a PS3 and all that jazz.
Not likely. The Infernal City takes place about 30 years after the Oblivion Crisis if I recall correctly. The likelihood of it having any significance 200 years later and in Skyrim (which I didn't even come close to, it drifted from the Black Marsh to Morrowind) is rather slim. Probably just threw it in there hoping people will shell out the money for the sequel.

Yeah, like other posters said, I'll pass. It's puzzling to see them release this now, almost a year after the first launch.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Five entire songs on the soundtrack? Out of the 25+ in-game? Careful, Bethesda, don't go overboard with generosity or anything!

Everything else does look pretty cool though, just not cool enough for a poor sod like me to spend twice as much on a game I already own.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mr.Tea said:
I don't doubt your German translation; All I was saying is that, if the OP knows anything about Elderscrolls lore, he probably just identified the symbol by sight well before translating the Amazon listing. And if the automated translation was a bit wonky, he'd just fill that part in from knowledge.
Bingo. The translation identifies it as "the emblem of the empire" but it's clearly the Seal of Akatosh. I'm not a fanatic, but I know a thing or two about the Elder Scrolls. :)

Shadow-Fox said:
1. The bonus content disc isnt exclusive to the pc version of this edition. The asterisk tagged line just says that the cd can only be run on a PC, so it will be included in the console versions as well
That is indeed what it says, and the confusion was the result of a misunderstanding on my part - reading the "only playable on PCs" bit as meaning that it would only come with the PC version of the game. Thanks for pointing that out, I've changed the post to reflect what in hindsight should have been obvious, but on another note I don't think the absence of a mention of DLC necessarily confirms the absence of DLC, if only because it seems a bit silly to me to release a new version of the game without including it. The other stuff is cool, but come on, the game's the thing, and putting out a "premium edition" a year after the original release without including the new content is kind of a slap in the face. Until Bethesda confirms it one way or the other, it is therefore "unclear."

As for why we rely on Google Translate, believe it or not we don't actually have room in the budget to keep full-time, multi-linguistic translators on staff, and asking groups of random people if they speak this language or that rarely works out. In fact, I asked the last person who criticized my use of Google Translate if she was volunteering to help me out with translations in the future, and she basically told me to get stuffed. So there you go.