Skyrim: ProTips

photographerleia

Nov 9, 2011
Rhaff said:
photographerleia said:
This actually raises a question. Will mines "re-spawn" the raw materials after a while so that you can go back and mine there again?
Another easy way to get ebony and gold ingots, is at mehrunes dagons shrine. Even though you dont get that many, it respawns ever 3 ingame days or so, and you get 4 daedra hearts plus some other loot each run.
I am actually more curious from a gameplay perspective than an "easy resource" perspective, but thanks for the reply. I'm certain that someone else will find this nice bit of information useful. The more you know ... right? :)

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
If you're a sneaky kind of person:
1. Get the Assassin's Blade perk. 15x sneak attack damage with daggers.
2. Do the Dark Brotherhood questline. This will give you Cicero's/Jester's clothing (Cicero's is a better version of the Jester's) and, more importantly, his gloves. Double sneak attack damage. This means you have 30x sneak attack damage.
3. Finish the questline, and get the Blade of Woe. Upgrade that shit up a notch to Epic level, for free. No extra items needed.
4. ???
5. AAAAAAAHAHAHAHA FEAR THE JESTER MORTALS!
That adds up to 1260 damage every sneak attack. If you attack from behind you can usually hit twice before they notice.

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
robert022614 said:
If you have high enough speech to invest in businesses the general goods guy in riverwood has 10k to trade with after you invest in his shop.
Wait what? How do you invest in traders!?

Tip:

Do Misc quests - they'll unlock large parts of the map meaning when doing major quests its more likely you will have somewhere close to teleport to, so you can get to the quest location faster.

When trying to grind up the side of a mountain (Like I have MANY times), face away from the mountain and jump up backwards. This usually finds a way to get a little higher.

Rhaff

Jan 30, 2011
photographerleia said:
Rhaff said:
photographerleia said:
This actually raises a question. Will mines "re-spawn" the raw materials after a while so that you can go back and mine there again?
Another easy way to get ebony and gold ingots, is at mehrunes dagons shrine. Even though you dont get that many, it respawns ever 3 ingame days or so, and you get 4 daedra hearts plus some other loot each run.
I am actually more curious from a gameplay perspective than an "easy resource" perspective, but thanks for the reply. I'm certain that someone else will find this nice bit of information useful. The more you know ... right? :)
Well then, if you are a thief or just like to steal a lot of shit, then Faendal wont object, hell even help you carry the loot :p

ZenoX969

Apr 1, 2011
Chappy said:
When a vampire/if planning to become a vampire.

1 - If you need to feed or are a Level 4 vampire and cannot break into someone's house go to the Temple in Whiterun and feed on the injured NPC's at both night and daytime.

2 - Learn Alchemy you will need the Stamina and Health potions, trust me.

3 - You are now vulnerable to flame attacks remember this when fighting the low level dragons they flame attacks will waste you depending on your vampirism level. (I personally try to stay at level 2 Vampirism)
Something that's worth noting is that Dark Elves have a 50% immunity to fire. Which helps negate the weakness to fire you get from being a vampire.

Vampirism Stages
Stage 1 - 25% Weakness to Fire.
Stage 2 - 50% Weakness to Fire.
Stage 3 - 75% Weakness to Fire.
Stage 4 - 100% Weakness to Fire.

At stage 4 Dark Elves will only have a 50% Weakness to Fire instead of 100%.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Vampires also get immunity to Frost by 25% each stage of vampirism. So that makes Nords the most useless race to be a vampire as. Since they already have 50% Frost Resistance. Sure, you'll get to 100% Frost Resistance by stage 2, but everything after that is wasted. So if you're gonna be a Stage 3 or 4 vampire most of the time you'll have a Frost Resistance of 150%. Which really isn't necessary.

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
SKYRIM PROTIP!

play how you want to play...
then play again!

but seriously the only one of these tips that are really tips i think would be to save often, apart from that, this is really just step by step instructions on how to play like you...
maybe i prefer to make my own potions instead of using restoration, this game is quite well balanced i think, and at this point i think it would be very difficult for anyone to say what skills are more effective than others, so yeah im gonna go play skyrim now

photographerleia

Nov 9, 2011
Rhaff said:
Well then, if you are a thief or just like to steal a lot of shit, then Faendal wont object, hell even help you carry the loot :p
Your logic cannot be disputed. You know what? I have yet to play a thief in any of the TES series. Maybe that needs to be changed ...

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
I always thought that leather bracers were always the easiest way to upgrade smithing, its the way i did it.

I probably got ninja'd but one thing i always do is have 2 different hand-made saves and whenever a make a new save, i save over the former of the two.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Edit: damn Ninja'd

one other tip:

Do not talk to the man who challenges you to a drinking competition ( I think in Winterhold )
That shit is crazy.

Azarhac

Oct 30, 2010
Some good tips around here, I have none to add except that using a shield and a heal spell early can give you wicked ass levels early on, I probably got lvl 9 in 15 minutes letting a random bandit bash me while I used heal.

Also, using a weak 2h to train it is insanely effective, if you can tank a mob for ages that is.

I do feel a bit weird running around at Master difficulty as a level 54 Dark Elf Dual-wielder with 384 damage and around 690-730 armor rating depending on what items I use.

Also, Dragon Priest helms rule ass imo, been using Otar - a heavy armor mask for ages, simply because it gives 30% to all resistances combined with a frost defense shield with the 50% resistance perk dragons are easy as shit and it does annoy be that 1 heavy attack with dual-wielding kills normal ones. Especially since you can just use the most broken shout ever Elemental Fury to boost your attack speed to over 9000....

So real advice is to fucking play how you want, I haven't really set a goal for my Dark Elf and it has hindered my experience a bit when I just standing around thinking "Why do I want to be a thief/mage when I am already the harbringer of the companions..."

Luckily making a new character even if it is for like 5-10 hours is easy and very fun and gives you back the drive to play a stronger older one so it's all good... Can't wait for some sick mods to come out, ahhh.

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
triggrhappy94 said:
Kyle1527 said:
1: Don't buy the house in Solitude. The house in Windhelm is twice as cheap and much better, with more mannequins and weapon stands if fully upgraded and IMO its much more homely. It also has a nice quest related to it.

7: For easy smithing, go to all the blacksmiths you know and buy all the iron ingots/iron ore and leather strips you can buy and then go to Whiterun, use the smelter to make the iron ores into ingots. Then, craft as many iron daggers as possible and rinse and repeat until you have attained your desired smithing skill.

8: For easy enchanting, enchant these daggers with your best enchantment (one that's worth the most) and sell them to the various blacksmiths around the world...or Tonilia from the thieves guild.

11: GET A F*CKING COMPANION; when your a low level, don't ***** about not being able to kill the Frost Troll on the way up The Throat of The World...get your companion to charge in and aggro them, then hit them from behind as your companions takes the beating.

That's about it.
1) That's actually really nice. I've been chillin' in my Whiterun house, and it turns out there's a lot more to house.
7) If you don't mind carrying around a TON of pelts and furs, I find that making leather bracers from all the animals you find and kill throughout the game is a lot more effective. You also don't have pay for your materials.
11) How do you keep them from dying?
8) And how do you get all the soul gems for that?

OT:
Anytimes on how to easily raise Speechcraft/barter? Do they still give you points for each transaction, like they did in Oblivion?

EDIT:
My own tip: The fully upgraded Unrelenting Force is crazy strong. Use it to punt things off cliffs as often as possible.
I've cleared over 100 yards with a spider. I launched a bear over a hill, off a cliff, and nailed a pack of wolves. I launched a briar heart off a gaint cliff just because I got tired of dealling with god damn Briar hearts, and there were Hagravens shooting at me.
11) You can make your companions a lot tougher by giving them better gear and weapons. Give them stuff you find that you cant/wont use. Better still, if you are good at smithing and/or enchanting you can give your companion a full set of enchanted armor and an enchanted weapon and watch them go to town on enemies. Lydia in a full ebony armor set is sexy.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
Kyle1527 said:
1: Don't buy the house in Solitude. The house in Windhelm is twice as cheap and much better, with more mannequins and weapon stands if fully upgraded and IMO its much more homely. It also has a nice quest related to it.
1. Homely means ugly so, that's not a selling point. :)

2. Are the mannequins in the Windhelm house subject to the same bug as the Solitude house Mannequins are?

3. You can push Falk Firebeard in the corner of the Jarl's room in Solitude, pay $25,000 for the house, then hide behind him so the rest in the room can't see you and pickpocket the $25,000 back. Also works with the money for the home upgrades.

Edit: Also, the Wood Elf in Riverwood that you can get as a companion is also an archery trainer. Train your 5 levels of archery every level and trade with him to take your gold back. Then snipe giants at level 20.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Am I the only one who thinks these 'tips' ruin the spirit of the game? It isn't all about stats and min maxing and cheating your way to the best stuff.

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
Don't use super powered equipment. It isn't that hard to get your character to a point where you are slaying everything within a few hits on master difficulty. While fun for awhile it takes away any semblance of challenge.

Honestly there isn't a thing in the game that I can't kill in under 5 seconds (if its grounded) on master difficulty. I went back to using weaker equipment just so things would be a challenge again.

Platypusbill101

Jan 2, 2011
The Transmute spell (turns iron ore into silver and silver into gold), if you can find it, makes a nice profit. You can get two pieces of iron ore (can be bought for 6 coins each), use the spell 4 times, turning them into silver and then gold, make an ingot out of the gold ore and make that into 2 gold rings, selling each for about 25 coins. The spell takes a lot of magicka and waiting for it to recharge is kinda tedious, but you can cast it while wandering around as you don´t need the magicka so urgently.

Platypusbill101

Jan 2, 2011
Azarhac said:
Some good tips around here, I have none to add except that using a shield and a heal spell early can give you wicked ass levels early on, I probably got lvl 9 in 15 minutes letting a random bandit bash me while I used heal.

Also, using a weak 2h to train it is insanely effective, if you can tank a mob for ages that is.

I do feel a bit weird running around at Master difficulty as a level 54 Dark Elf Dual-wielder with 384 damage and around 690-730 armor rating depending on what items I use.
I heard that armor rating makes no difference beyond 576- it equates to 80% reduction, which is the highest possible value.

Platypusbill101

Jan 2, 2011
Ironman126 said:
The only tip you REALLY need is: Stay the hell away from the giants.
Once you figure it out, the giants´ attacks are actually pretty easy to dodge, and with heavy armor and/or defense boost spells, you can survive at least one hit.

Rhaff

Jan 30, 2011
photographerleia said:
Rhaff said:
Your logic cannot be disputed. You know what? I have yet to play a thief in any of the TES series. Maybe that needs to be changed ...
It is highly recommended to complete the thieves guild, since the inhouse fence gets 4000 gold to barter, without any speechcraft perks. And also you get nightingale armor, which in my opinion makes you look like skyrims batman. I cannot stress that last part enough. SKYRIMS. BATMAN.