Skyrim Special Edition Goes Gold, PC System Requirements Released

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Skyrim Special Edition Goes Gold, PC System Requirements Released

Bethesda has announced the system requirements for the upcoming Special Edition of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

If you've been waiting anxiously to play Skyrim on your PS4 or Xbox One, the time is almost here. Bethesda announced yesterday that the upcoming remaster has gone gold, which means it should be on time for its release later this month.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/BethesdaStudios/status/785482862690705408]

Alongside that news, Bethesda also announced the system requirements for the PC version of the Special Edition, and they're quite modest. Here's the rig you need:

Minimum requirements

CPU: Intel i5-750/AMD Phenom II X4-945
RAM: 8 GB
HDD: 12 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 470 1GB / AMD HD 7870 2GB

Recommended requirements

CPU: Intel i5-2400/AMD FX-8320
RAM: 8 GB
HDD: 12 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB / AMD R9 290 4GB

Obviously, these requirements are a bit steeper than what you needed to run the original when it launched in 2011, but they're still pretty middle-of-the-road these days. Remember, if you own the Legendary Edition of Skyrim (on Steam), or the base game and all the DLC (on Steam), you'll receive the new Special Edition free of charge (on Steam).

If you're a console player, you're probably more interested in how big the install will be. For PS4 players, it will be 20 GB in North America, and 33 GB in Europe. Xbox One owners will need 17 GB in North America, and 25 GB in Europe.

The Skyrim Special Edition is set to release on October 28 on PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

[gallery=6557]

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
How come the download size differs between regions?

Also why is it different across consoles? Does the more powerful PS4 have bigger texture files or something?

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
JUMBO PALACE said:
Language packs. For North America, you just need English, Spanish, and French. Europe, meanwhile, has a lot more languages than that. I would imagine in a game with as much voice acting as Skyrim, the audio files are a huge chunk of the filesize.

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
Benpasko said:
in a game with as much voice acting as Skyrim
Unless they really stepped up their game, isn't there like 4 different voices for all the characters?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Living_Brain said:
Benpasko said:
in a game with as much voice acting as Skyrim
Unless they really stepped up their game, isn't there like 4 different voices for all the characters?
But they all say a lot, that's what he is getting at. There may be only a few different voice actors, but there is a lot of talking.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Benpasko said:
JUMBO PALACE said:
Language packs. For North America, you just need English, Spanish, and French. Europe, meanwhile, has a lot more languages than that. I would imagine in a game with as much voice acting as Skyrim, the audio files are a huge chunk of the filesize.
Makes sense, thanks!

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Does anyone know if it even worth downloading if you already have mods to make it look pretty? If they did a lot of work on the back-end to improve optimization and stability I guess it could be worthwhile. I assume the new version is still 100% compatible with all the old mods?

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
Fappy said:
I assume the new version is still 100% compatible with all the old mods?
Really depends on the mods. Texture mods and everything that just replaces meshes should be fine.
But there is no way in hell that the Skyrim Script Extender and its dependent mods will work unless it gets updated

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
Here's the million dollar question; Will I still be able to use my old version of Skyrim,just in case the mods aren't cross-compatible? A pretty game is all well and good,but if I can't play Perkus Maximus on it,then fuck that noise with the Spear of Bitter Mercy.

nickpy

Oct 9, 2010
Yes, I am far more concerned by this update by the fact that all updates on steam are "you'll take it whether you like it or not" and I seriously doubt that SSE will be backwards compatible with old mods, especially SKSE. True, once the update has occured I can manually undo it, but only if I have a backup of the relevant files (which I do, but that isn't necessarily the case for everyone affected).

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
It's reading like an optional & separate download to me, so I think you'll still be fine to play the older version.

I remember with the DXHR directors cut or whatever it was, it came as a separate listing to the original base game.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Pic 2 of The Rift, well, it looks like home, outside, right now. So if I have all DLCs I get this for free? checking Steam now.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
It doesn't look that much different to my pleb eyes the same way I can never really tell 720p from 1080p, but I still want it. At the very least, it will look shinier, crisper, and newer. I've also upgraded my computer a couple times since 2011 (Up from Xbox, then some shitty 220 card (That still did run Skyrim at the time) and now running a 970). My body is ready.

Fappy said:
Does anyone know if it even worth downloading if you already have mods to make it look pretty? If they did a lot of work on the back-end to improve optimization and stability I guess it could be worthwhile. I assume the new version is still 100% compatible with all the old mods?
I kind of assumed this is essentially a whole new game, with all new mods; Albeit some imports. I'm going to start fresh, personally. Wait a short bit to see what kinds of things come out; Largely weapons and armor. I did hundreds of hours vanilla, I have no desire to see the same crap again. I did a few more hundred modded so I want to play where things are -different-.
I may even get a perk overhaul to mix things up. I never did that.

Apr 5, 2008
How sad that the choice to exclude backwards compatibility from this generation of consoles means so many remasters that gamers need to buy again. At least on the PC this particular remaster is free, tho 360/PS3 owners aren't so lucky.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Fappy said:
It got ported forward, so now it works with DX11 and runs on the same version of the engine as FO4; which means it should more stable and work better with mods.
ESM
On the flip side, so many mods will have to be redone, or at least recompiled, because Refids, file locations, .ESMs and data is just going to be a lot different. SKSE is going to be fucked for a while too.

Oct 15, 2015
Caramel Frappe said:
Remember, if you own the Legendary Edition of Skyrim (on Steam), or the base game and all the DLC (on Steam), you'll receive the new Special Edition free of charge (on Steam).
............... The flying crap From Software? You make a Special Edition of Dark Souls II (DS II: Scholar of the First Sin) but instead of giving us the game for free, you make people who own Dark Souls II with all the DLC pay $20 for the freaken patch. Meanwhile, Bethesda is giving us this Remastered Edition with all kinds of updates / fixes / patches for FREE if you own Skyrim & the DLCs.

A little salty I admit, because a company this big is not ripping us off while the company that made my all time favorite franchise, forced us to pay $20 for a freaken updated version of an already existing game -__-.
To be fair, the skyrim special edition is just the game remade with HD textures built in, instead of having them be an optional mod, whereas scholar of the first sin had a small amount of additional content and changed around enemy and item placements (at least on the ps4 version)

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
*reads system requirements*
"Well, I surpass the recommended by a long shot. Better make sure I have all the DLC."
*checks to see if all Skyrim DLC is purchased and installed*
*smiles*

I mean, the mods I have on the original game probably match or exceed how the special edition looks and there probably won't be any new content, but I'll still grab it (like I do with Games for Gold) because free game!

Benpasko said:
JUMBO PALACE said:
If FO:NV is anything to go by, and if I'm remembering correctly, the lip-sync changes to match the language as well. I remember Cass speaking in German and matching the sounds with the lip movements.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Fappy said:
I'm assuming this version doesn't have the hard 3.1GB RAM limit, so downloading purely because of that is worth it in my opinion.