Skyrim - Two months later.

Sarpedon

Feb 9, 2011
Monsterfurby said:
I am still waiting for a mod to reliably take spiders out of the game before I buy it. Seems like a cool game, but my desire not to have a panic attack is much stronger than my desire to play it right now.

"lol arachnophobia, youz sucha wuss"-crowd, that's your signal, I suppose.
I suffer from the same thing, but the spiders in Skyrim don't frighten much. I use them to exorcise my arachnophobia >:D!

The ones from Dragon Age almost made me cry, though.

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
I admittedly only started playing about a week ago. So far I like it. It's much more tolerable than Oblivion at least, but it still has the same problem where you can do everything...therefore nothing you do REALLY matters and you get bored after a while and lose focus of what you originally set out to do.

Admittedly, I'll probably play it for a month and then forget all about it. The lore is really the only interesting thing and even then there is too much distance. I can't get emotionally invested in any of these NPCs or their problems.

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
nothingspringstomind said:
Monsterfurby said:
I am still waiting for a mod to reliably take spiders out of the game before I buy it. Seems like a cool game, but my desire not to have a panic attack is much stronger than my desire to play it right now.

"lol arachnophobia, youz sucha wuss"-crowd, that's your signal, I suppose.
Oh, dude, i feel the pain. I don't have arachnophobia, but the ones in Skyrim are DAMN scary!
XD I actually encountered one on the road randomly today. It was eating a deer it had killed. Scared the crap out of me because I didn't expect to see any of them above ground.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
I say now what I said when I first saw it's gameplay in a trailer: It's the product of the gaming industry from a decade ago trying to fit into the new styles of today. It's style of gameplay was big back in 2002, when Morrowind came out. But Oblivion, and especially now Skyrim, just expands graphically on that same system. It doesn't innovate... they didn't evolve the system.

In fact, they just dumbed down on more complicated stuff, like non-combat skills. It really removes the whole role-playing feel and you start to just feel like "the Best Beat-Stick in the Land" running through quests while cool things happen around you.

I gotta say, though, I really like the perk system, now that's evolution. Makng your character randomly do something extreme with a melee weapon is not evolving the genre.

So, yeah, I got bored with it after a while. I still finished the main quest and ended the revolution, though. But since I'm not limited to which factions I can join, there really isn't any replay value.
...Morrowind sure if fun, I replay that occasionally...

---

I would've much played something with the feel of Condemned... but with magic. Wait... FusRoDa... and they both were born with the rare ability to shout... and it both took time to recharge the shout... and, for both, it meant that they were were the only ones who could stop a cult...

...could Ethan Thomas, given enough time, learn how to slow time?

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
It still costs 60$ on Steam so I'm still waiting to buy it... talk to me on the 1 year anniversary, maybe when the 6th game comes out.

kyoodle

Dec 4, 2009
Played around 50 hours (would be more if it weren't for coursework) and I honestly feel like I've hardly scratched the surface, looking forward to going back to it soon.

Mr Dizazta

Mar 23, 2011
I haven't touched the game in a while. I am currently working on a back catalog of games that I started but never finished. During my break from Skyrim, I finished Dead Space 2, Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock(for the first time), and Fallout 3(for the first time after several resets). I am currently working on playing Assassin's Creed II. I got all the way to the last sequence, then my entire save game data was corrupted. I have been backing up that game like crazy because I lost my save game data twice now. After that, I plan on playing Half Life 2(for the first time) then maybe Portal. But seriously, my back catalog is huge. Hopefully I get majority of it done before Mass Effect 3 and Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning come out.

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
Still playing my first character, a Breton Battlemage-I'm in my mid-40s. I've logged 132 hours according to steam.

Things have gotten rather easy.

0 cost, dual-casted incinerate w/stagger. Nothing stands a chance. Dragons can't attack. Dragon Priests can't attack. Warriors die as they charge at me. I'm wearing Legendary Double Enchanted Dragonscale Armor. I resist 75% of Magic and cast Destruction Spells for free.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
I still play it now and again. I plan on redoing the main quest line eventually, but I've got too many side quests at the moment unfinished.
I'm also waiting for the construction kit to make my own houses/dungeons/characters and what not.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Eh. I honestly have started playing Dark Souls now. I'm some 140 hours into Skyrim, and haven't done much in the main campaign at all, but Dark Souls has more replay value to me.

It was a great run, minus the bugs, but it's like Oblivion...it just doesn't have the same replay value as other games do.

Fronken

May 10, 2008
Due to unemployment and extreme boredom, i burned myself out on Skyrim in the first week or two, which is a shame, as the game is great fun, although there are some bad things, the good things more than make up for it i think.

The biggest letdown for me was the repetetive nature of dungeons, i know they are all hand-crafted, and they arent repetetive in That sense, but the textures are the same in all dungeons, making them more than a bore to grind through after a couple of runs.

All dwarven ruins look the same, all Falmer areas look the same, all Norn ruins look the same, all Caves look the same, pretty much.

This was my main problem with Skyrim, and something that really dissapointed me.

Kurokasumi

Aug 11, 2009
I still like it. Just starting to get bored with it. Lvl 35 Assassin/light armor warrior. Clearing a whole dungeon with just a trail of slit throats and arrows in backs is pretty fun. As well killing things like master vampires or necromancers with a swift 1 hit kill throat slit for x30 damage with blade of woe is hilarous while I have a friend who struggles and dies mutliple times trying to use heavy armor and 2h weapons.
But anyway, game is just running dry. Not much variety weapon wise, and killing dragons is a nuisance now rather then some epic awesome thing you cant wait to happen. I just find myself wandering and nothing happening way too often.
And why the hell can't you fight with staves the same way you did in Dark Messiah? The system worked great. Why don't more games use it?

Aphantas

Apr 29, 2010
I have not been playing Skyrim for very long (maybe 4-5 hours?). I have only killed one dragon and been named Thane of Whiterun for what it is worth. Whiterun guards just seem to skip the trial and head straight for the execution.
However I am just not enjoying it. The world just fails to instil a sense of wonder in me. so far I have only two experiences where I was genuinely entralled. a random meeting with some wisps in a hidden hallow, followed by an untimely demise by the wispmother; and becoming lost in the forests at night after the dragons demise, guided back to town only by the distant lights of Dragonsreach's windows (I installed a darker nights mod, Skyrim is so bright at night otherwise).

The biggest problem I have with Skyrim is that towns seem to have no purpose other then being a NPC hub. The only reason I go into town is sell and buy the results of my forays into kleptomania, and drop off whatever momento I was entrusted to find. The towns lack a sense of safety, mainly because the world around them lacks a sense of danger.
Skyrim is a cold dark place where the days are harsh, and the nights harsher. Then why is it that I can rest in the middle of the tundra all night with no protection, and not suffer any ill-effects or even be bothered by monsters at all?

I would love to see a message along of the lines "during your slumber a passing thief stole 100 gold" or to see a wispmother come near when I am resting/sleeping in the wilderness, knowing that I am completely helpless to stop her sucking out my soul whilst I dream.

alas Skyrim seems to only remind me of my adventures in Spielburg and Mordavia, and the mad rushes back to town as soon the sun began to dip below the distant hills.

...now i wish I knew how to mod Skyrim.

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
Still playing it, still loving it.

Although I believe I am already seeing the cracks in the praise, and we are getting near the point that people will soon say "Skyrim actually sucked, but Im sure the next game will be amazing" that plagues big name franchises.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Talk about Skyrim?

OK.

Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack. Wabbajack.

Do I need to say anything else?

nokori3byo

Feb 24, 2008
Finally retired my main character (male Nord warrior and master craftsman) at level 72 when I realized there was really no point in doing anything else with him. Maybe if some challenging DLC comes out...

I have revived an long-neglected alternate character (homely female wood elf) to grind the cheevos that my main guy wasn't quite evil enough to do. I'm finding it alright, but thinking it's about time to give the game a rest if not pack it in alltogether.

Still though, 200+ hours...can't complain.

Tanner The Monotone

I'm Tired. What else is new?
Aug 25, 2010
Sarpedon said:
So.

Talk about Skyrim. Anything you want to talk about. Are you still playing it after two months? Was it everything you'd hoped it would be? More than you'd hoped? Less, even? What could Bethesda have done better? What could they have done away with? What kind of things would you like to see in future Skyrim DLC or even future Elder Scrolls titles?

Personally I burned myself out on Skyrim within the first month, and can't bring myself to touch it again now. There was just something it lacked. I played Morrowind religiously for about three years, and still go back to it occasionally now. Even Oblivion kept me entertained longer.
There wasn't enough to do in it. If you could make custom spells like in oblivion, then I would still be playing it.

Patiently waiting for the first DLC.

Gingerbeard

Dec 5, 2011
I really don't understand why some of you find Oblivion better than Skyrim. In my opinion, Oblivion has all the flaws Yahtzee mentioned and a few other besides. The only interesting characters are Uriel and Martin Septim, and Uriel dies 5 minutes in. Besides, I never liked the main quest; it's so damn un-epic I just find it irritating:
In Morrowind, (hardly-a-spoiler alert) I was Nerevarine, reincarnation of the half-god Nerevar.

In skyrim, I'm Dovakhiin, the killer of Dragons.

In Oblivion, I was "That bloke who closed the Oblivion gates"...(I once read a fanfic in which the player's character committed suicide after the end of the main quest)

Apart from that RP problem, there is the boredom pie, AWFUL voice-acting (except Uriel and Martin)and the fact that everyone looks as if they had some disfiguring disease.

Also, the siliy, silly leveling system, which meant that the roads where one met a few wolves at level one were soon filled with minotaurs and atronachs.
(It wasn't such a big problem, since fast travel enabled me to jump wherever I wanted instantly, thus skipping the dull, ugly copypasted 100 square meters of woodland).