Skyrim Weaponry and Stats

crepesack

May 20, 2008
So I've been playing Skyrim lately. I'm only level 7 right now and I've only slain 2 dragons. I'm focusing primarily on magic only and I'm not too sure what to level. Magicka or hp? It seems to me that spells just cost a butt ton to cast and I always run out of mana on big boss fights. I'm also not sure what to equip. Can I enchant magicka boosting stats on light armor?

Also I'd like to make a comment on Jyrik Gauldurson's staff. At low-mid levels it basically melts through people with its 25 shock damage and 50 normal magic damage. I killed my first solo dragon by spamming it maybe 10 times. And charging it is easy with
Azura's star

Also, how the hell do I make more money? It seems I'm just living on scraps and I can't pick up loot cause my lydia and I are completely weighed down with dragon scales and dragon bones...And I can't afford a house right now either. I'm trying to finish
the winterhold college quest line right now so I can become archmage and own my own castle but it's slow going and I'm running out of money and potions

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
On my mage I spammed Magicka and Health, basicly took 2 levels of Magicka per one level of health, then just dual-wielded my firebolts until things died.

And yes, you can enchant certain pieces of armor with increased Magicka (also stuff that makes certain classes of spells cost less).

EDIT: For money, try selling those Dragonscales you're overencumbered with.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Wait until you get to master enchanting. You can do enchants that make spells free.

GruntOwner

Feb 22, 2009
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Skyrim

That's really all that needs to on the matter. Up Magicka and take the spell school perks to halve the costs. Also, see about finding the apprentice guardian stone or even the atronarch. d your mage have the good sense to be born a high elf?

PS: Mages college. Complete that, get arch mage robes. When convenient go after whichever dragon priest has the 100% faster magicka regen mask and you'll be regaining magicka at 3 times the normal rate.

Edit: You own a room in Winterhold anyway, just dump all your dragonbone in the end table there.

Dec 14, 2009
Perks are key for a mage.

Of course spells are going to cost a lot of mana, getting the perks that half their costs is what you're aiming for.

carrot74

Nov 20, 2009
Until I bought the house in Whiterun for 5k gold, I used a place called Anise's cabin. If you did the golden claw quest for the trader in Riverwood, you can find it nearby the exit. Point being, find a random cabin and dump all your stuff there. http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Anise's_Cabin

One of the better ways of making money is to make iron daggers, upgrade them, enchant them, and sell them. This nets a lot of money, but I find that all the traders never have enough money to buy out my all the daggers.

DionysusSnoopy

May 9, 2009
As you progress in the various schools of magic the mana consumption is supposed to come down plus there are also perks to reduce mana costs at first yea its a lot, as for the enchanting yes you should be able to enchant light armor as well as amulets and rings with some magicka boosting stats they only one i'm not sure on is magicka regeneration if its robes only. Not fully versed in this as i'm mostly melee and bow. For your stats take a 2:1 approach if ur able to dodge most attacks 2 levels in magicka then 1 in hp in case you get caught by a particularly hard blow.

Edit: @carrot74 if you want an area of fairly wealthy merchants
then complete thieves guild radiant quest line city influences. then you have 5 merchants with up to 4000 gold each its where i to sell my hoard of stuff
if you already know that i apologise.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
How does enchanting work then? I heard something about destroying an item and then you learn the enchantment. Can I say destroy my 75% mana regeneration robes and put that enchantment on normal light armor or a ring or hat?

Leginp

Nov 13, 2010
Enchanting works in that you disenchant whatever has the enchant you want and can reapply that enchant variant on any piece of gear the game deems possible:

So with your robes you'd disenchanted them (destroys them in the process). You would gain the mana regeneration enchant. You could then put that enchant on any item the game allows you to (I think mana regeneration goes on chest-pieces, hats/helmets, and jewelry.)

It wouldn't necessarily be 75% regeneration increase though. It's based off of your skill in the enchanting tree, and the quality of the soul gem you use. So with a low enchanting skill and a petty soul gem, you'd end up with a piece of armor with an increase of 1%, not 75%. While with a high skill and a grand soul, you'd get something much higher (unsure as to how high). Only way to improve that is to keep up leveling the skill and getting the related perks in it's tree (the center line I believe).

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
crepesack said:
How does enchanting work then? I heard something about destroying an item and then you learn the enchantment. Can I say destroy my 75% mana regeneration robes and put that enchantment on normal light armor or a ring or hat?
If you destroy 75% regen robes you will receive the mana regen enchantment. It will not be 75% however. It will be only as strong as your enchanting level will allow it to be. Which is like 3% to start. You could break down a 10% mana regen robe and get the same enchant effect you'd get if you broke down a 150% regen robe. So I wouldn't break down anything you need just yet.

As for money, learn a trade or get used to chopping firewood. As a tip for you, enchanting a weapon with "banish" ups it's value considerably. If you see a weapon with "sends summoned daedra back to oblivion" hang onto it until you can get it to an enchanting station. If you must, buy it and break it down at an arcane enchanter. It will cost a pretty penny if you have to buy it but it will pay you back.

Build an iron dagger. this will require one iron ingot and one leather strip. Buy a petty or lesser soul gem from a general wares merchant or a wizard merchant. If you buy it unfilled and fill it yourself with a wolf, skeleton or mudcrab soul all together you payed like 40 gold for your mats including the dagger. With "Banish" enchanted onto it, the normally 10 gold dagger will sell for like 2000 gold.

The higher you level in enchanting for some reason, the less your enchanted daggers sell for, but the depreciation stops when you get to 100 enchanting and they're still really profitable, especially if you get the dual enchantments perk.

Crafting the daggers, enchanting the daggers and selling the daggers levels up your Smithing, Enchanting, and Speech skills all at once, which works out nicely.

Other beneficial and profitable enchants that I've found for weapons are paralysis and stamina drain on hit. In that order. If you can't get the banish enchant then paralysis sells second best but not even half as well as banish and stamina will sell for less than paralysis but still more than any elemental damage. Stick to enchanting weapons for profit, their enchants have a better return than armor enchants.

You can also buy iron ore and use the "Transmute" spell. This turns iron ore into silver ore and silver ore into gold ore. Make gold ingots with the gold ore, craft gold rings (you get two gold rings per ingot which together sell for 150 gold on a six gold investment) and sell these off for a modest profit. You can find the spell at "halted stream camp" fairly easily and early in the game (it's just northwest of whiterun). With this method you're leveling Alteration, Smithing and Speech at once which is also nice.
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Transmute_Mineral_Ore

There's also hunting and leather working but that's meh. You might be scared at first that your animals are never going to come back after you kill them. They do. The first time takes like two months in game time for some reason, (just to scare you I guess) after that they come back every month to the day they were killed.

You don't have to sell your dragon bones and scales. You might want to for a little starting capitol but you don't have to. Join the companions at jorrvaskor in White Run and you can stow things in the lower floor living quarter cupboard for now and they'll be just fine. It'll be the first cupboard to your left when you load the area from the top floor. Other chests are owned here and some of the chests respawn but this cupboard won't. I kept things here for 2 months of game time before I figured out how to make money.

That's it I hope this advice helps you man.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
crepesack said:
So I've been playing Skyrim lately. I'm only level 7 right now and I've only slain 2 dragons. I'm focusing primarily on magic only and I'm not too sure what to level. Magicka or hp? It seems to me that spells just cost a butt ton to cast and I always run out of mana on big boss fights. I'm also not sure what to equip. Can I enchant magicka boosting stats on light armor?

Also I'd like to make a comment on Jyrik Gauldurson's staff. At low-mid levels it basically melts through people with its 25 shock damage and 50 normal magic damage. I killed my first solo dragon by spamming it maybe 10 times. And charging it is easy with
Azura's star

Also, how the hell do I make more money? It seems I'm just living on scraps and I can't pick up loot cause my lydia and I are completely weighed down with dragon scales and dragon bones...And I can't afford a house right now either. I'm trying to finish
the winterhold college quest line right now so I can become archmage and own my own castle but it's slow going and I'm running out of money and potions
I'll tell you what I did. Sell all your crap that is not immediately necessary, only keep items you're wearing and stuff that has enchantments, and potions. Realistically, I would get rid of the dragon bones right now since it will be awhile before you can use them for anything and there are infinite dragons in the game so you won't ever run out. You have lydia so you already killed the main quest dragon so you should be able to buy a house. At the very start of the game you can't really hoard everything. As soon as you get that house you should have 1 box which allows you to keep as much shit as you want. Its only 5k so it shouldn't take you that long. Also when picking stuff up trying to only take things with a good weight to value ratio (I use 1:10), so that for every unit of weight you get at least 10 coins (theoretically, not really once you factor in that no one buys stuff for full price).

You mentioned you started the winterhold quest line though. If I'm not mistaken that gives you a room with storage I think. You should be able to store there.

Jordi

Jun 6, 2009
Ghengis John said:
Crafting the daggers, enchanting the daggers and selling the daggers levels up your Smithing, Enchanting, and Speech skills all at once, which works out nicely.
I'm not 100% sure it's so nicely. I started the game with pickpocketing and lockpicking a lot (even though I planned on playing a spellblade, go figure), and these non-combat skills leveled me up fairly fast. But since the game's enemies are (kind of) leveled, there was a significant period of time where I had a lot of trouble clearing out forts and the like, because all the bandits were Thugs/Marauders, and I had a combat skill that was far below my level.
Maybe this'll be less of a problem with Smithing and Enchanting, because they allow you to upgrade your gear significantly, but it might be something worth considering.

Also, I'd be careful with storing your valuables outside of your own house. I think that the only safe containers are the ones that are explicitly owned by you, and there appears to be some debate about whether that's the case with some of the containers in the guilds.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Jordi said:
Ghengis John said:
I'm not 100% sure it's so nicely. I started the game with pickpocketing and lockpicking a lot (even though I planned on playing a spellblade, go figure), and these non-combat skills leveled me up fairly fast. But since the game's enemies are (kind of) leveled, there was a significant period of time where I had a lot of trouble clearing out forts and the like, because all the bandits were Thugs/Marauders, and I had a combat skill that was far below my level.
Maybe this'll be less of a problem with Smithing and Enchanting, because they allow you to upgrade your gear significantly, but it might be something worth considering.

Also, I'd be careful with storing your valuables outside of your own house. I think that the only safe containers are the ones that are explicitly owned by you, and there appears to be some debate about whether that's the case with some of the containers in the guilds.
You're unsure if it's a bad idea to level smithing and enchanting? And you're not sure that it's unsafe to use guild containers? But you were certain you should say something about that?

Well I can only say that it worked for me. I'm not recommending the guy do anything I wouldn't do because it's what I already did. You yourself can see that blacksmithing and enchanting are not lock picking and pickpocketing. They have combat applications. I also kept my stuff in that cupboard for two months and it was fine, however, as he's already traveling with Lydia I think we can safely assume he's not that far from buying a house. I did say "for now" and "until I could buy a house". Your own home is definitely the safest place to store things, but considering a venison stew I left in that cupboard is still there after six game months, I think his dragon bones will be fine for a few days until he can transfer them over to breezehome. That said I'm not gonna imagine I'm the authority, maybe bad things have happened to people, but I don't know what chests they're using. Everything on the top floor of Jorrvasker respawns. The chests, the cupboards, the cheese wheels!

Though you know I do appreciate your concern. Don't get the idea that I'm mad because I'm not. You are just trying to look out for the guy and help him just like I am. Either way I think it's smart to max out a combat aspect before trying to make money. Though my highest skill was 60 in block when I started making money and I did alright.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
Jordi said:
Ghengis John said:

Apparently when you become
archmage of white run you gain access to the archmage's quarters which are yours to keep.

That seems to be my case as well. I have a pretty high sneak and lockpicking and alchemy but enemies are impossible for me to kill without lydia there.

Anyways. Thanks guys. I was almost scared that I would drink potions and spend money myself into a dead end lol.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
crepesack said:
That seems to be my case as well. I have a pretty high sneak and lockpicking and alchemy but enemies are impossible for me to kill without lydia there.

Anyways. Thanks guys. I was almost scared that I would drink potions and spend money myself into a dead end lol.
You have alchemy do you? You can probably make potions to supplement your combat abilities while they build up. Potions of the warrior/fortify one handed are quite effective.

TheLoneBeet

Feb 15, 2011
For my magic play-through I've been leveling magicka at least twice as much as hp and ignoring stamina.

I've never run low on money by following one rule. I pick up anything worth more than eight times its weight. (( EXAMPLE: 1 lb = 8 G ))Once you're close to over-encumbered start dropping the things with the worst weight to price ratio.

Store anything the shopkeepers can't afford to buy for the next time you visit the shops, and invest some points into crafting, enchanting, or alchemy. You can combine all the random stuff to make things worth much more money, plus it's easy experience.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
crepesack said:
So what's a good way to level enchanting?
Create or find a weapon that drains souls, buy lots of pretty soul gems and go hunting. then use the soul gems to enchant a bunch of stuff sell the stuff and do it a again.

You have to sacrifice items to get good enchantments but once that's done and most of your money goes into Grand soul gems to make snazzy items.

And sell those dragon bones. They're only useful when you've got a ridiculously high smithing skill.