Skyrim: What broke your immersion?

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
It seems a bit silly to me when people go on about Skyrim being the most immersive gaming experience ever. I like Skyrim as much as the next guy, but as impressive as the game is, it's hardly immersive. What are some of the things that broke the immersion for you?

for me it was:

The fact that I intuitively know the value of every object in the universe
The fact that a weak person can carry their weight in junk
The fact that my companion Lydia will kill an entire village if somebody catches me pick pocketing (lol)
The mammoth that I saw rise 100 feet in the air and fall to it's death
The ancient dragon that was hunting me down like a dog, only to start flying backwards and sparing me
The lack of respect I get despite being Arch mage, Leader of the companions and the thane of two towns
The fact that all guards within miles will know that you've killed a chicken
The fact that EVERY guard has a crippling knee injury which ended their adventuring careers

there's a lot more lol

Just to clarify, I like Skyrim, this thread is just for fun.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Probably the lack of conversation options with companions and spouses, and the lack of any extra options opening up as you progress through the game. They seem a lot like robots programmed to do your bidding.

The game is probably at its most immersive when your out in the woods alone, and theres no glitches! I usually dont bother with companions unless i want the extra carrying space for a dungeon dive.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
When a giant crushed me with a mace and I went flying 100 metres into the air.

Also I guess when I headshot people with arrows and they get pushed 20 feet headfirst into a wall. But that's more awesome than immersion-breaking.

MrShowerHead

Jun 28, 2010
It breaks when I'm flown to the moon by a annoyed giant and his club.

Oh well, the game has so many little "minigames" (Smithing, cooking, chopping wood)I wont complain.

And I don't mind the questmarkers. Sure, sometimes they hold your hand too much, like in Oblivion, but I bet it would much worse without them.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
When I walk across mountains. Vertically. In the middle of a blizzard?snow storm? While wearing iron.

It was hilarious at first but now it's kinda getting to me.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
The ui I think. I was used to having a pipboy so much I didn't realise how much more immersive it makes checking your invent and stats.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
*I leap off the side of a mountain with health to spare* That makes sense. Im Dragonborn.
*Falls of horse on a slight slope. Instantly die* What the hell was that? Skyrim just slapped physics in the balls.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
Shadowmere's killing a Dragon by her/himself

oh wait he is just a badass horse

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
"So you're an alchemist then? How about you brew me some mead"
"Keep away from me you sneaky thief"
"So you dabble in magic eh? How about you conjure me a bed"

Do I etch what skills I've used onto my forehead? How the hell do guards instincively know what skills I've raised a couple of points above the minimum when I'm just casually walking through town? (For the record, when the guards had said those things to me I was just playing a warrior that found a couple of +1 skill books for Alchemy, Sneak and Destruction, leaving them at 17 skill...)

Also the horses in the game... Stop kicking that dragon in the face! (Luckily I modded that out) Also the fact that they can gallop up the side of mountains (I recently avoided the 7k steps by running up the sheer face of the mountain on Shadowmere)

Other than that it's just the usual stuff, falling mammoths and floating weapons (Kill someone during slowmo caused by the Quick Reflexes perk and their weapon stays where it is when they die)

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Zekksta said:
That I am the Slayer of Alduin, Archmage, Guildmaster of Thieves and Assassins guilds, I solved the Civil war, I've made pacts with devils and I'm a Thane twice over.

Yet when I head to the Companions to join up in my Full Legendary Daedric Gear, some bastard says during my interview.

"Are you sure you want to let him join master? I've... never even heard of him".

Vilkas, are you serious? You filthy mongrel.

Skyrim.
You can be the Master of everything, and nobody cares.
They're not devils, they're Daedra. Sure, some of them are really evil, but some are good. The whole theist scene of TES is somewhat similar to our own, but not to that level.

MrShowerHead said:
hazabaza1 said:
"TesV.exe has crashed"
FUCK
Oh, you're lucky. I don't even get an error message. It just throws me to my desktop.
Are you running any mods? My Skyrim did that to me when I had too many loaded. It ended up being the stupid 2Gb RAM limit. Install the 4Gb Skyrim mod and see if it helps.

As for me:
-That A dragon can fly, whilst a part of its bone the size of my fist sounds like a boulder rolling around on the floor, weighs 15 units, yet is apparently light enough for me to kick half way across a dungeon simply by walking on it.
-That when a dragon attacks, not everyone dies. I'm not just talking children here, but Jarls, their housecarls, the blacksmith with some armour on.
-That I can somehow see myself from behind myself whilst Smithing, Enchanting, Brewing, ect.
-That by forging 1000 iron daggers, I can learn how to make an incredibly secret recipe sort of thing Daedric armour plate, and improve it to beyond perfection.
-That nobody else in the game world has thought of using enchanting potions to make alchemy items to make enchanting potions ect.
-That whilst I've dilly dallied about for the last 6 months in game, that Alduin hasn't completely destroyed the world. And that the war with the Stormcloaks and Imperials hasn't actually started. And that everyone is still talking about the exact same thing.

And more, but I've done my share.

Skootz

Dec 8, 2010
spending more time scrolling through the UI during a fight than actually fighting breaks it for me.

Memoriae

Mar 7, 2010
When my horse fell through the world, only to appear dead, and impaled on a small rocky outcrop.

1000 gold down the pisser.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
Not a lot did. But one thing that kind of got to me was the fact that, for instance, even after you become the leader of the Companions, people still refer to you as "the new person" who probably does menial crap.

I also found it kind of strange how you're the fucking DRAGONBORN, but nobody's impressed. I find it hard to believe that's something that EVERYONE wouldn't know, so when you start the Thieves Guild after killing like 20 dragons, they still treat you like crap.

And of course, there's the inconsistency in enemy strength. Yes, I played on the easiest setting for most of the game, but it still happened that dragons were easier to kill and survive than some mages. Like, I can stand in a dragon's fire-breath all day without dying, but some stupid mage hurls one fireball at me and there goes half my health.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
My friend popping up in the bottom right-hand corner, whining about all the bugs other people had experienced, how fucking lazy Bethesda are, and then saying how much he loves the game.

EVERY FUCKING TIME WE PLAY.

Trezu said:
Shadowmere's killing a Dragon by her/himself

oh wait he is just a badass horse
Not that badass. I had him jump from a cliff, as I was under the impression he was invincible.

He was not.