Skyrim - What would you add?

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Capitano Segnaposto said:
There was a game... I can't remember it very well, that had this fighting system where you click the Left Mouse Button and slide your mouse in a direction, where your sword/bladed weapon would swing in that direction.
Ironically, the game in question sounds like The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. That game had all sorts of interesting features that were cut from subsequent games in the series. To be fair though, a number of these features were basically worthless. Magic combat sucked, too.

Here's my wishes for Skyrim:
-More complexity for cooking (more ingredients, more recipies, more dishes with stat bonuses instead of just restoring HP).
-Fewer dragon attacks, with stronger dragons when you do get to fight them.
-Bring back Alteration magicka.
-Bring back spell crafting.
-Tweak stealth so it isn't totally broken and OP (at the very least increase the time enemies will search for you).
-Remove the armor cap.
-Bring back the need to maintain and repair armor/weapons.
-Allow me to kill anyone and everyone if I feel like it, but with the appropriate consequences (breaking quests, instant death warrant if caught killing children, etc.).
-Less generous loot drops and higher shop prices. I always end up sitting on a mountain of gold early on with nothing worth spending it on.

This is coming from someone playing the Xbox 360 version of the game. I hope to get a new computer sometime and address a number of these issues with mods for the PC version (my current laptop chugs when I try to play Scribblenauts Unlimited on higher settings, much less Skyrim).

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
Neverhoodian said:
Capitano Segnaposto said:
There was a game... I can't remember it very well, that had this fighting system where you click the Left Mouse Button and slide your mouse in a direction, where your sword/bladed weapon would swing in that direction.
Ironically, the game in question sounds like The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. That game had all sorts of interesting features that were cut from subsequent games in the series. To be fair though, a number of these features were basically worthless. Magic combat sucked, too.

Here's my wishes for Skyrim:
-More complexity for cooking (more ingredients, more recipies, more dishes with stat bonuses instead of just restoring HP).
-Fewer dragon attacks, with stronger dragons when you do get to fight them.
-Bring back Alteration magicka.
-Bring back spell crafting.
-Tweak stealth so it isn't totally broken and OP (at the very least increase the time enemies will search for you).
-Remove the armor cap.
-Bring back the need to maintain and repair armor/weapons.
-Allow me to kill anyone and everyone if I feel like it, but with the appropriate consequences (breaking quests, instant death warrant if caught killing children, etc.).
-Less generous loot drops and higher shop prices. I always end up sitting on a mountain of gold early on with nothing worth spending it on.

This is coming from someone playing the Xbox 360 version of the game. I hope to get a new computer sometime and address a number of these issues with mods for the PC version (my current laptop chugs when I try to play Scribblenauts Unlimited on higher settings, much less Skyrim).
Well, you'd like it on the PC then. I'm pretty sure there's a mod (several, probably) for all of those. With Steam Workshop, they're easy to find and install, too, if you don't feel like digging around TES Nexus for them and installing them yourself. Though Nexus has a mod manager that sometimes manages to install mods for you as well.

Really, there's no way I could play Skyrim on console. I wouldn't be able to do it for five minutes, vanilla Skyrim is just not worth a wooden nickel to me.

drh1975

Dec 8, 2010
Multiple marriages and adoptions. If people want to accuse Bethesda of ripping off Fable 3 when they made the Hearthfire DLC, why not go all the way?
More potential marriage prospects. For anyone who hasn't noticed, there are more available men in Skyrim than women. So I say add Serana, Svana (from the Bunkhouse in Riften), Idgrod the Younger (assuming she's old enough), the single women from the Skaal Village in Solstheim, and Nilsine Shatter-Shield (assuming you didn't kill her).
The ability to marry widows. Say, for example, you really like Adrianne in Whiterun. The problem is she's already married. But if her husband were to die from a vampire/werewolf/dragon/whatever attack, you should be able to marry her.
Now, enough marriage talk. Let's talk business. Rather than become an investor in a business, why not buy the shop? Or become business partners with the owner.
Buying and renting property. Let's say your neighbors in Windhelm "accidentally" die. Why not buy their house and rent it to someone?
Why not rebuild Helgen and Winterhold? Then you could buy property in those two towns.
Customizing your houses. Breezehome, for example, is an oversized hovel. If I had my way, I would have room for three kids, an alchemy lab and an arcane enchanter.

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
drh1975 said:
Multiple marriages and adoptions. If people want to accuse Bethesda of ripping off Fable 3 when they made the Hearthfire DLC, why not go all the way?
More potential marriage prospects. For anyone who hasn't noticed, there are more available men in Skyrim than women. So I say add Serana, Svana (from the Bunkhouse in Riften), Idgrod the Younger (assuming she's old enough), the single women from the Skaal Village in Solstheim, and Nilsine Shatter-Shield (assuming you didn't kill her).
The ability to marry widows. Say, for example, you really like Adrianne in Whiterun. The problem is she's already married. But if her husband were to die from a vampire/werewolf/dragon/whatever attack, you should be able to marry her.
Now, enough marriage talk. Let's talk business. Rather than become an investor in a business, why not buy the shop? Or become business partners with the owner.
Buying and renting property. Let's say your neighbors in Windhelm "accidentally" die. Why not buy their house and rent it to someone?
Why not rebuild Helgen and Winterhold? Then you could buy property in those two towns.
Customizing your houses. Breezehome, for example, is an oversized hovel. If I had my way, I would have room for three kids, an alchemy lab and an arcane enchanter.
Pretty sure you could do all of that before Hearthfire was even on the drawing board. The mod community for TES is pretty astounding, and I feel like anyone who gets the games on console is truly missing out. Morrowind and Skyrim are diamonds in the rough, and you can't cut and polish them unless you're on PC. As for Oblivion, well, it's not a diamond, it's coprolite. Still fun to mod though.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Caramel Frappe said:
My only real complaint: Better marriages.

I'm alright with the combat system, with the lack of quests, and even the lack of story at times.. but the marriages. Why would I get married to a character who's going to be thumbed down into a sitting NPC that says the same line over and over again? It even makes the coolest and toughest characters (like Aela the Huntress) into a simple minded person in which she does nothing with her life.

There should of been way more thought put into this, and actions (not saying we needed sex but maybe a hug command or romance would be nice). You should just have someone as a follower, that way you won't turn them into a lesser person. Gosh I regret marrying Aela for she lost her trait as a hunter and merely repeated the same one liner over and over again.
Am I the only one that was offended when the main things you got to do with your spouse was ask:

Where's my money? and
Make me a sandwich

Eh, I'm guessing it's the same if you marry a guy. So I guess it's not sexism?

Sorry, I got back into Skyrim after a year-long break so I must have missed all the threads relating to this. I tend to not play games. Had to listen to "jokes" about the cake being a lie for almost a full year until I broke down and played, eh, you know which game.

Dudeman325

Jan 31, 2011
I feel sorry for all the console players posting here, because a significant number of these have already been done as mods.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
-Better melee combat
-A good third person mode
-NPCs that don't spout the same lines at me when I walk past them. In fact, unless it's related to a quest, I'd actually prefer it if the NPCs didn't acknowledge me at all unless I initiate conversation with them first.
-More freedom to do things in the story the way I want to do them, a la New Vegas. Maybe I don't want to be the epic hero, maybe I want to be the sidekick to the epic hero, or maybe I want to be the bad guy, or work for a bad guy.

-And, on a personal preference. I'd like it if the way the player interacts with the landscape was more dynamic. Like, if I'm climbing up a mountain, I want to actually grip onto rocks and ledges and pull myself up rather than bunny hop up it. That kinda thing really takes me out of the atmosphere and reminds me that, yes, I am playing a game.
Things like that.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Juan Regular said:
Definitely a major overhaul of how Bethesda writes characters, meaning they should actually have character for once. There isn´t a single NPC in the entire continent of Tamriel that I give a shit about. Not in any of the quest lines or otherwise. That has always been my only significant complaint with Bethesda.
WHAT! How can you forget about M'aiq the liar?

Love that guy.

Baronvvoltage said:
I'd actually wanna see the dwemer return, or some real explanation as to where the heck they have been since the 1st era. So far it's all speculation, and the majority of the dwemer civilization set up all over skyrim back into the mountains, so perhaps an explanation should be in order for a dlc. Would also love a quest line for the rejuvenation of the snow elves or a way yo make the calmer slowly become more like them thru some ritual magics. Just my two cents.
My feelings exactly.

OP: Improve the sword/dagger combat. Its better than in Oblivion, but it still could use some work.
I hate the magic in this game, I wish there was a larger variety of spells. Also, the quest stories for the guilds should be longer and have better stories. I would also like to see more small towns were you can just mess around, they don't have to be important places. Finally, the ability to climb like in Assassins creed would be cool.

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
Helmholtz Watson said:

Love that guy.
I despise him, and am glad he is set as essential so I can assault him repeatedly in a variety of ways. Most of his comments are either not funny or are basically "Don't agree with one of our design decisions? Well, fuck you!"

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
A shout that summons an enemy dragon. Sometimes wandering the forest gets boring and I need a giant fire breathing lizard to fight to keep me going. There's a shout that summons a friendly dragon, and I think bend will in the dragonborn DLC lets you ride a dragon, but sometimes I just want to fight one.

I know this won't happen, so I have two saves with dragon fights in them. One is a dragon lair fight, the other is a random dragon encountered in the fields. I have them backed up and ready to go in case I get bored.

captcha: Two hands. Why yes, I am skilled with two handed weaponry in the game.

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
Racecarlock said:
A shout that summons an enemy dragon. Sometimes wandering the forest gets boring and I need a giant fire breathing lizard to fight to keep me going. There's a shout that summons a friendly dragon, and I think bend will in the dragonborn DLC lets you ride a dragon, but sometimes I just want to fight one.

I know this won't happen, so I have two saves with dragon fights in them. One is a dragon lair fight, the other is a random dragon encountered in the fields. I have them backed up and ready to go in case I get bored.

captcha: Two hands. Why yes, I am skilled with two handed weaponry in the game.
But... but... dragons are the most boring enemies in the entire game! They're just oversized cliff racers!

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
I'd add a few more options when it came to the factions. It seems a bit weird to me that they included an option to go on a crusade against Dark Brotherhood but not for the Thieves Guild, I also think it's kinda fishy that you can literally become Thane for all of Skyrim, but you can't put yourself forward as a candidate for the throne or at least become a Jarl. I mean you could literally become the God of Madness last time around, but I can't even rule a poxy little hold like Morthal here?

Speaking of which, being Thane needs to have way more perks, yeah I get a decent weapon and the guards will excuse some of my bounties, but a little more then that would be nice.

Last of my big changes would be to make the Marriages a bit more complex. It really should take more then a simple little favor like finding them a book to make someone want to marry you. And once they do marry you it'd be nice if they could have more interactions then "Give me money," and "Cook me food" which really made me kind of uncomfortable after I thought about it for a bit.
I really don't need much, just a dialog option to say "I love you?" Maybe a hug button? A slight difference in their dialog to show some differences between them? Anything at all to make this feel like a loving relationship between two living beings?
I know that beyond the huge central characters Bethesda isn't the best with characterization but these are literally the characters you're supposed to grow the most attached to but they feel barely above every single other NPC in the game.

Aside from those it would really just be changing some little nitpicks I have like separating the pants and the shirts, adding back in Short Swords, and bringing back that Armorer skill (It just feels slightly, wrong to play Elder Scrolls without that tink tink tink sound every few minutes). I'd also go backwards a bit with the weapons skills, have axes, blunt weapons and blades separate skills, with one-handed/two-handed perks for each staying within their specific skill trees.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Much of the stuff I want most of you guys here already brought up.

but if there's one thing I wish Bethesda would add to DLC, it's at least for hair colors to be as customizable as they were in Oblivion.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
ComradeJim270 said:
Helmholtz Watson said:

Love that guy.
I despise him, and am glad he is set as essential so I can assault him repeatedly in a variety of ways. Most of his comments are either not funny or are basically "Don't agree with one of our design decisions? Well, fuck you!"
Aw come on, how can you hate a guy like that?

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
ComradeJim270 said:
Helmholtz Watson said:
Aw come on, how can you hate a guy like that?
Well, I did say how in my post.
Fair enough, I guess I just find him amusing and I appreciate how they have included him in most of the games as a easter egg, but then again I'm a sucker for easter eggs.

The Code

Mar 9, 2010
Juan Regular said:
Definitely a major overhaul of how Bethesda writes characters, meaning they should actually have character for once. There isn´t a single NPC in the entire continent of Tamriel that I give a shit about. Not in any of the quest lines or otherwise. That has always been my only significant complaint with Bethesda.
I can agree to that one. The one character I loved the most was Shadowmere, and she wasn't even human!

What I would add would be a more in-depth RPG and armor system like Morrowind had, but keep the current combat and stealth systems, more detailed magic and spellmaking systems, and PORTABLE ALCHEMY TOOLS! Yes, Alchemy tables are all well and good, but can't we have just a mortar and pestle to carry with us, at least?