Skyrim without the dragons: my khajiit's quiet adventure.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I started a playthrough as a female elf (can't remember which kind!) who was an alchemist and nothing more. I sought the alchemist's shack and made that her home. She wore no armour and carried only a dagger as a weapon. The idea being that she used it for cutting plant samples more than for offensive means. Her only true activity was to gather ingredients and make potions, selling them to local traders. It was interesting because combat had to be avoided due to the low health and lack of armour and I had to stick to roads for the most part or else risk getting in serious trouble.

I fully intended to get a dog, possibly Meeko, as a companion and for added protection. But those damn Skyrim dogs are annoying as hell.

I should probably go back to that character... she sounds fun.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
Dragoon said:
Longstreet said:
Also, on a completely unrelated note, how many of you would back Jarl Balgruuf for high king if that were an option? I totally would, every time.
Hell yeah I would, he be ballin'
OT: I have done the exact same thing, just forgot about the main quest and dragons and used the Alternative Start mod, makes it much more interesting. The dragons just irritate me.
I won't lie, I had the exact same thought when Balgruuf was mentioned.

On Topic: I only really beat the game once and got a little in to it the second time through, but that does sound like an interesting idea. I mean, once you hit a certain level it started taking longer for me to wait for the dragon to land (Since the shout that is supposed to "Pull the dragon's very soul down to the earth" allows them to casually fly around a bit more until they feel like they want to stop moving) than it took to actually kill them. I didn't even need the stuff on them, they just keep appearing, and I kept leaving full dragon corpses around the lands. The only downside for me in doing the No Dragons run is I really like Fus Ro Dah.
On a side note, I have noticed tons of people play this game as specific characters, which actually sounds like fun. It would be cool to go around as some Vampire/Monster hunter and ignore the main quest (Though Dragons could really fit in to that "Story" I suppose).
That said, my computer has crap for graphics and I only have Xbox 360 version so I couldn't get all fancy with the mods. I would have to look around for what seems to look the most cool for a Vamp/Monster hunter of sorts (Definitely using a crossbow).

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I've been playing Skyrim again too. Started a new character when I got Dragonborn, as I'd done almost everything on my other character and felt like starting again.

This is my new character, Skarin.

And again walking with Neloth.

And an earlier shot of him, not long after I created him.

Okay, I'm done with the screenshots now, I just felt like sharing.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
Downloaded 100+ mods like a month and a half ago. Was able to squeeze another 50 hours or so out of Skyrim. The game has such a better feel with proper modding: intelligent AI, taverns that feel alive with patrons all over the place, other adventurers patrolling the roads and getting into fights with bandits ect, blizzards that can kill you if you don't have a tent and a camp fire, tiny ants crawling around on the ground with huge attention to detail.

Unfortunately it doesn't fix the problem of super unimaginative quests, and 95% of the characters(post interesting NPCs mod) having dialogue like they are interactive encyclopedias instead of people. If only Bethesda had writers who knew how to write.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Akratus said:
DoPo said:
Akratus said:
But what exactly IS there to do? Radiant quests, crafting, dungeon diving. . . not really special in my opinion.
What exactly IS there to do in ? , , . . . not really special in my opinion.

You can fill in the blanks yourself.
Ok.

What exactly IS there to do in New Vegas? Political intrigue, choices with consequences, the best dlc's of all time. . . not really special in my opinion?
Precisely.

But somehow I think you don't actually get it. It's called opinions and personal preferences - you don't like what Skyrim has to offer, others do. And others most probably don't like stuff you prefer to play. Because it's all down to those three words at the end of your post "in my opinion".

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Blunderboy said:
I always have issues with Skyrim. I love the early game when I'm exploring and even normal bandits are a threat.

Then I get more and more powerful and have to fight more dragons and trolls and giants and such.

Yeah I really prefer my fantasy low thanks.
Unlevelled World. [http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=6206]I'm now level 32 and bandits are still a genuine threat. I can't even fight bears or sabre cats.

The-Fiction said:
Her: (Talking to me) "What's the meaning of this interruption?! The Jarl is not to be distrurbed!"
Me: "Calm down lady I'm only here for the wizard and the enchanting table, stop following me!"
The dragons don't appear until you fight the first one. So you can finish the conversation with the woman and the first one with the Jarl, but once the Jarl orders dudes be sent to Riverwood, turn and run. You'll never be bothered again. That's where I got up to, and it's just fine.

Lorpo

Jan 26, 2012
With the random start position and SME I have a toon who is level 28, never even been to Helgen and has only amassed a paltry 1500 septims in the whole game. Man I love Skyrim medieval economy, keeps the weapons and armour drops to mainly iron/steel and fur and nerfs the hell out of the rewards, money in chests and on enemies.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
I was exactly the same!

Months back, my Nord woman Steel Eyes avoided the dragon quests for so long. She made it her personal mission to kill every single Dragon Priest. Once that was done to the extent it could be, then the main quest started.

I actually found it quite exhilarating, and while it was a bit quiet without dragons, pretty fun.