Skyrim: Yeah, it's good, but...

Rapamaha

Dec 6, 2010
I have around 50hours played now and havent done main quest at all, however the exploring and side quests are starting to get repetive and boring, the story in most of side quests isnt that interesting, when I enter my 50th dungeon I allready know in the beginning that there isnt going to be anything interesting gear for me in the end and the side quests are pretty much starting to feel like "go kill that guy or fetch me that item from other side of the world" I think Im just gona start running trough the main quest and then be done with the game

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Trippy Turtle said:
Another thing is the lack of deep water and things to find while swimming around. Finally I miss being able to see my character while equipping him with stuff. I wear an execution hood (But I an somehow still see) and lots of other random mismatched armor and have no idea if I look publicly indecent.
Move the camera around to in front of your character, open inventory, bingo! You can now see everything you equip. You're welcome. ^_^

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
King of the Sandbox said:
Trippy Turtle said:
Another thing is the lack of deep water and things to find while swimming around. Finally I miss being able to see my character while equipping him with stuff. I wear an execution hood (But I an somehow still see) and lots of other random mismatched armor and have no idea if I look publicly indecent.
Move the camera around to in front of your character, open inventory, bingo! You can now see everything you equip. You're welcome. ^_^
I love you...
Skyrim is pretty much perfect now.

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
Well im very annoyed at Skyrim since my little brother just quick and auto saved over my last 10 hours of play. He was gone all weekend so I didnt think to hardsave it, and he played his save while I was out. Skyrim really needs a character selection system with saves bound to that character, rather than the awful one they have now, where everything is chucked into the same pile, leaving some characters buried.

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
Trippy Turtle said:
Trippy Turtle said:
I love you...
Skyrim is pretty much perfect now.
I.... enjoy your loving of me, I guess? lol

Also (because it took me a while to figure out), you can zoom the camera as well, so you can get the full body shot in there. Now, if only someone would make a mod that let you move the camera while having an attack readied...

mikeybuthge

Apr 28, 2010
my favorite part of Skyrim, like many others it seems, is that you just get to make up your own damn story, none are the exact same, and it seems you only have to do the main story in order, whereas side quests, you just pick up as you go. And the combat is samey and boring? Not that a fantasy game should be anywhere near realistic, but how many ways do you think there are to swing a sword, or an axe, or shoot a bow?

kuzaro

Nov 22, 2009
You make a convincing and persuasive argument and now I wonder how the reviewers who gave it a perfect 10 can justify that. I haven't played Skyrim but I gave up on oblivion after about half an hour and fallout 3 looks even worse.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
Wait, are you telling me it is a game? I was so certain it was a documentary about every-day life in Scandinavia...

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
I completely agree with you. There is a lack of depth depth within the game. When you're making a game on this scale thats inevitable. However, what Skyrim does have is potential for your own experiences. Stuff that was unique to your playthrough.

Think back to the most memorable moments in the game. Chances are it wasn't some big setpeice or pivotal story moment. More likely it was that time you scraped through a fight with 2 HP and no more health potions. The time when you ran away from a dragon only to walk straight into a giant. The time the game glitched out and the bear you were fighting began flying.

Skyrim's freedom (and mild instability) is what makes it such a great game. It lets you have your own experience with it and for that it is brilliant.

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
Reet72 said:
I completely agree with you. There is a lack of depth depth within the game. When you're making a game on this scale thats inevitable. However, what Skyrim does have is potential for your own experiences. Stuff that was unique to your playthrough.

Think back to the most memorable moments in the game. Chances are it wasn't some big setpeice or pivotal story moment. More likely it was that time you scraped through a fight with 2 HP and no more health potions. The time when you ran away from a dragon only to walk straight into a giant. The time the game glitched out and the bear you were fighting began flying.

Skyrim's freedom (and mild instability) is what makes it such a great game. It lets you have your own experience with it and for that it is brilliant.
Internet high-five for you.

This is what I've been saying. I think most of the dissatisfaction comes from people who aren't used to using their own imagination, and expect to be led everywhere, straight through on rails, without, y'know ROLE-PLAYING.

This ain't Uncharted or Mass Effect... it's Skyrim, a giant sandbox... and some people are in that sandbox, angry at the sand for not telling them what to to, or holding their interest. And it makes me a sad panda. But not too sad, once I jack back into my medieval fantasy matrix. ^_^

KillerRabbit

Jan 3, 2009
I would give the game a 8.5 / 10.

I have played through the main story, and really like the quests.

The "flaws" I have found so far are:
* No acrobatics skill (I chose the cat-Kahjith(?) race to be able to jump my way to rooftops from angry guards after my failed attempts of early pickpocketing like an evil spidercat or something - but apparently I can never increase my jump height any more like I could in the earlier games! Now instead got stuck as a cat the whole game without any real benefit from it.. expect that I ripped faces of the people who challenged me to fist fights... cat claws for the win?

* I was appointed arch-mage of the college of mages after a handfull of (granted epic ones) quests, and had 40 in my highest magery school... then after I continued the main quest and needed help from the college of mages librarian he treated me like a random drunk cat-thief instead of adressing me as the Arch mage of no mage skill...

* The UI - or the lack of it?

* Spells for mages... there are really no interesting spells at all, and no ability to craft any spells anymore.... felt kinda pointless to play as destruction mage-thief-archer-sneak-pickpocketer-smith-enchanter so I left out the mage part from my jack of all trades build in the end.

* Sneaking is "a bit overpowered"...

edit: finished the game @ level 47..

shadow_Fox81

Jul 29, 2011
EHKOS said:
SIDEQUESTS, SIDEQUESTS, SIDEQUESTS. They make the whole game. The Dark Brotherhood, the Thieves Guild, the Stormcloak rebellion. Bethesda has never made a good main quest!
I'm seeing alot of this but perhaps, maybe just perhaps given that the player perspective is so important what you are doing is the main quest; as in you give the quests value not the game.

just an idea given the fact that the game is so concerned with player choice.

so that said every bethesda game has a kick ass major quest, right.

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
Reet72 said:
Internet high-five for you.

This is what I've been saying. I think most of the dissatisfaction comes from people who aren't used to using their own imagination, and expect to be led everywhere, straight through on rails, without, y'know ROLE-PLAYING.

This ain't Uncharted or Mass Effect... it's Skyrim, a giant sandbox... and some people are in that sandbox, angry at the sand for not telling them what to to, or holding their interest. And it makes me a sad panda. But not too sad, once I jack back into my medieval fantasy matrix. ^_^
Exactly, it can be difficult to do but is quite rawrding if done well. To be fair though, it's not really for everyone.