Skyrim's the Third Most Popular Game on Xbox 360

JMan

Jun 18, 2008
tmande2nd said:
FPSes will always rank #1 until they take an arrow to the knee.
I really hope this meme dies very quickly. Everytime a new meme pops up people overuse it to the point to where it just gets stupid. I just starting seeing it today and I'm already tired of it due to the overuse.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
What the... Black Ops is 2nd? What in the goddamn hell is that still even doing on the list, let alone SECOND?

JMan said:
tmande2nd said:
I really hope this meme dies very quickly. Everytime a new meme pops up people overuse it to the point to where it just gets stupid. I just starting seeing it today and I'm already tired of it due to the overuse.
I used to get angry at forum posts but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Sparrow said:
What the... Black Ops is 2nd? What in the goddamn hell is that still even doing on the list, let alone SECOND?

JMan said:
tmande2nd said:
I never asked for this meme.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
#1: I'm shocked NHL 12 is on that list.
#2: The number of Skyrim players is going to drop, as people like myself suddenly have a broken and unplayable game due to the most recent patch completely ruining magic resistance.

Otherwise, cool deal.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Sparrow said:

JMan said:
tmande2nd said:
Not everyone has made the switch to MW3 yet. With the Holidays so close, a lot of people are waiting to get it on Christmas morning most likely.

Apr 28, 2008
Skyrim, keep proving the industry wrong [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/5014-How-Skyrim-Proves-The-Industry-Wrong].

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
For registered users here, we have our own top list that Skyrim is dominating. :)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/top_games

The PS3 list seems stuck at the moment, but the Steam and XBL lists are current.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
JMan said:
tmande2nd said:
You will only hold that view until you to take an arrow to the knee.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Burn2Feel said:
imnotparanoid said:
Yeah you go girl!!

Seems Skyrims more popular than I thought!
Really? Look at the forum topics since Skyrim came out and see how many are based on it or it is mentioned in said topics. Skyrim's popularity is insane, I can see why it's so high up.
Oh I meant more with the 'casual' 9proberly not the best oword couldnt think of a better one) crowd, at leats where I am a lot of people wont play it fo not being realistic :/

Burn2Feel

Jan 20, 2010
imnotparanoid said:
Burn2Feel said:
imnotparanoid said:
Yeah you go girl!!

Seems Skyrims more popular than I thought!
Really? Look at the forum topics since Skyrim came out and see how many are based on it or it is mentioned in said topics. Skyrim's popularity is insane, I can see why it's so high up.
Oh I meant more with the 'casual' 9proberly not the best oword couldnt think of a better one) crowd, at leats where I am a lot of people wont play it fo not being realistic :/
Casual would be the right word so don't worry. Just a thought, how was the list compiled? Was it number of games sold, or collective hours played? Because the die-hard fans of Skyrim will be glued to it 24/7. Since COD and other online games rely on the internet, fluctuations occur with the hours played. And realism should never, ever be a selling point for games. We play them for escapism, hence why "shoot-everything-with-inifinte-ammo-exploding-guns-one-man-army-style" games are so popular. They look real, but by no means are they realistic.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Burn2Feel said:
And realism should never, ever be a selling point for games. We play them for escapism, hence why "shoot-everything-with-inifinte-ammo-exploding-guns-one-man-army-style" games are so popular. They look real, but by no means are they realistic.
Why does realism prevent escapism? Just becasue I don't want to be me as it where why can't i want to be someone else in the real world.

For example among my many genres are F1 games, they would be worthless if they didnt chase reaslism as far as they can.

It does depend on my mood, but often I want a fair amount of realism in the game as it makes it easy to beleive and immerse my self in.

Theres no reaspon an untra reaslistic game can't be brilliant escapism.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
hurricanejbb said:
As pleased as I am to hear this, it still frustrates me that f**king Call of Duty games have the top 2 spots. Seriously, why do the most derivative, unoriginal games get the most popularity?
Because they're fun?

OT: Glad to see Skyrim get this high, especially since its already broken my personal record of most time spent on a single game

Smiles

Mar 7, 2008
I can't figure out how to hook my bloody xbox up to the derned internets... so I am one of the few offline people who never gets updates or DLC... we exist... I'm not alone...

am I?

Burn2Feel

Jan 20, 2010
Petromir said:
Burn2Feel said:
And realism should never, ever be a selling point for games. We play them for escapism, hence why "shoot-everything-with-inifinte-ammo-exploding-guns-one-man-army-style" games are so popular. They look real, but by no means are they realistic.
Why does realism prevent escapism? Just becasue I don't want to be me as it where why can't i want to be someone else in the real world.

For example among my many genres are F1 games, they would be worthless if they didnt chase reaslism as far as they can.

It does depend on my mood, but often I want a fair amount of realism in the game as it makes it easy to beleive and immerse my self in.

I'm not saying it prevents it, hell The Sims is the perfect example. I'm just saying that if games rely more and more on realism to sell, there will come a point where reality and escapism will collide and merge, and I cannot see that as a good thing. I'm probably looking into this way more than I should (the fact that I wrote a paper on realism in gaming doesn't help), but I will end on that I agree that some realism is needed for immersion, such as first person perspective or characters asking for your opinion but a line needs to be drawn.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Burn2Feel said:
Petromir said:
Burn2Feel said:

I'm not saying it prevents it, hell The Sims is the perfect example. I'm just saying that if games rely more and more on realism to sell, there will come a point where reality and escapism will collide and merge, and I cannot see that as a good thing. I'm probably looking into this way more than I should (the fact that I wrote a paper on realism in gaming doesn't help), but I will end on that I agree that some realism is needed for immersion, such as first person perspective or characters asking for your opinion but a line needs to be drawn.
I was more suggesting that the never ever as a selling point was abit far. In some genres the closer you can get the better, theoretically there are limits but in most as long as the game can't actually physically hurt you, its probably fine.

In other gernes I agree to much realism can be detrimental. THe point wheer a game becomes to real is entirely a personal preference.

I tend to prefer realsim for the setting, and a consitancy in things. Mainly this means if your preventing me from doing shit, then use a game mechanic or similar to do it, dont use invisible walls or some such bullshit.

THe sharks in the oceans in vannilla WOW are a perfect example, killing you before you came to the limits of the game world.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
Is this really news worthy? I'm all for celebrating fandoms and all, but is learning that this game, which by itself totally proves that single player only games can work, is the third most played game truly newsworthy?

I really feel like I'm running around a room with a needle bursting everyone's safety bubble or anything, but this isn't really news at all.