Slash: Games Promote 'Lethargy in Kids'

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Slash: Games Promote 'Lethargy in Kids'

Guns 'N' Roses guitarist Slash has expressed concern about the effect that videogames can have on kids.

Slash, the ex-guitarist for rock gods Guns 'N Roses, who was also prominently featured in Guitar Hero III, expressed to Computer and Videogames [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=189738&skip=yes] his worry that interest in videogames can prevent kids from spending time on other obbies or actual music-making.

"The thing about videogames is that they do promote this sort of lethargy in kids," he said. "They turn into gaming zombies. So I understand the concern that people who play Guitar Hero would never pick up a real guitar."

The guitarist believes that the Guitar Hero games have exactly the opposite effect, however, and do an excellent job of exposing kids to music "that they would not otherwise hear."

"A lot of people have been asking 'Is [gaming] the new wave of how people are going to be exposed to music?'" questioned Slash. "I thought that was sort of like a joke question when I first heard it, but I'm starting to realize that, given the current state of the music business, it might be. Because the kids are into it, and the possibilities are endless in terms of what you can expose them to through this medium."

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Xwii360 said:
Hmm, I think he's done a bit to many crack-circles in his day. He contradicts himself like 2 times.
Absolutely. He says that videogames are a load of shit, but then goes on to sing the praises of GHIII - a game which just happens to have him star in it? Please, we all know that Rock Band is a far more exhausting experience anyway! I think he reckons he 'connects' with us because rock music faced exactly this kind of stigma three decades ago, but his message is like calling The Beatles a flaming piece of shit and Guns and Roses heroes.

richasr

Dec 13, 2007
It is true, but you could also argue that the music of the noughties has been pretty dire compared to the 90s, 80s and beyond. Plus I thought the rise in sales of the Guitar Hero series and now RockBand coming out would mesh the two... I myself certainly have discovered more music through these games, and I may have already been playing the guitar but I've certainly rekindled my favourite hobby.

Besides music, there are many games that mimmick real life activities; most sports are already lengthy franchises, it's not the games that are to blame, it's the attitude of the kids and parents, yes I'd rather play football than play FIFA or Pro Evo but a lot of people prefer to stay in and play all night with friends.

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
Melaisis said:
Please, we all know that Rock Band is a far more exhausting experience anyway!
Rule of Escapism(and teh internetz) No.2 - If it's somehow related to Guitar Hero,especially Legends of Rock, there's always going to be somebody saying how much better Rock Band is and/or telling people to learn how to play on a REAL GUITAR.

PS:Gosh, if I bothered to make these rules on a regular basis(which would probably get me banned) I would have at least 50 on my first day :)

Mother Yeti

May 31, 2008
Melaisis said:
Xwii360 said:
Hmm, I think he's done a bit to many crack-circles in his day. He contradicts himself like 2 times.
Absolutely. He says that videogames are a load of shit, but then goes on to sing the praises of GHIII - a game which just happens to have him star in it? Please, we all know that Rock Band is a far more exhausting experience anyway! I think he reckons he 'connects' with us because rock music faced exactly this kind of stigma three decades ago, but his message is like calling The Beatles a flaming piece of shit and Guns and Roses heroes.
What the hell are the two of you blathering about? Read the article. He's saying that games are a double-edged sword, with both positive and negative potential.

Also, it's Guns n' Roses, not Guns and Roses. Learn your history, damn kids.

Feb 13, 2008
Mother Yeti said:
What the hell are the two of you blathering about? Read the article. He's saying that games are a double-edged sword, with both positive and negative potential.
So I understand the concern that people who play Guitar Hero would never pick up a real guitar."
The guitarist believes that the Guitar Hero games have exactly the opposite effect,
So...Guitar Hero games have the opposite effect to Guitar Hero games?????????

pasquinelli

Apr 24, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Mother Yeti said:
So I understand the concern that people who play Guitar Hero would never pick up a real guitar."
The guitarist believes that the Guitar Hero games have exactly the opposite effect,
So...Guitar Hero games have the opposite effect to Guitar Hero games?????????

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he understands the concern that people won't learn to play the guitar because they'll just play rock band (lol), but he belives that the good games can do at introducing people to music far out weigh that risk.

still confused???????????????????????????

this is why the title is no good.

Markness

Apr 23, 2008
I think Slash is just trying to say, he thinks games promote lethargy in kids so he knows where people are coming from when they say guitar hero does the same. But he thinks guitar has the opposite effect for some reason.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
This plays right into my theory that Slash is a fucking idiot.
A rock guitarist is a fucking idiot? No, it can't be! What are the odds?

Sgt. Gunlock

May 27, 2008
I just can't stand Neversoft anymore the are not going to do a good job with it when it comes to Inavtion they kind suck at it any one remeber the last few tony hawk games